Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winnebago water tank fill valve problems

Back a couple of weeks ago I started having trouble filling my freshwater tank. I searched the plumbing diagram for this coach for a check valve but found none, so that was not the problem. I finally got the chance to call the factory service line and I was told that the fill valve was broken. I decided to replace it today with a brass shark-bite ball valve. It took a bit of work because the panel did not come down far and it was tight working. But I had good success. The following pictures are of what I found and what I used.

If you note, the original valve is made to fail. The fingers on the valve body are thin and over time and use the flexing causes them to crack and fail. This is simply another one of those RV designs that makes no piratical sense. It WILL leave you in a bad place at some point on you happy camping experience. Shame on the RV industry for making such a critically important part so vulnerable to failure. Why do all the RV manufactures seem to want to sell us trouble but advertise "fun" and "good adventures".

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fill Valve.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	138332   Click image for larger version

Name:	body.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	138333  

Name:	body parts.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	138334   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve heart.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	138335  

Name:	broken.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	694.7 KB
ID:	138336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharkbite valve.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	654.7 KB
ID:	138337  

Name:	new.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	138338  
Old 09-08-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Nice job! We had our fill valve recently replaced since it was letting water flow to the tank when we were on city water....
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My low point drain valve failed, same type plastic valve as yours. I also replaced it with a shark bite 1/4 turn ball valve.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Rick, Don't know if it's what happened in your case but, I'd read that you should never switch valve positions on that valve if it was under city pressure, it could cause the valve to fail FWIW. I'd thought about being proactive and replacing that valve with a brass one, thanks for the Shark Bite valve idea.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Rick, Don't know if it's what happened in your case but, I'd read that you should never switch valve positions on that valve if it was under city pressure, it could cause the valve to fail FWIW. I'd thought about being proactive and replacing that valve with a brass one, thanks for the Shark Bite valve idea.
WoW! Don't turn the valve when on city water pressure? When you look at how poorly the valve is made this is the only line of defense the RV manufactures have. "Yup, let's put a convenient valve and label for the folks but don't tell them if they use it as it looks like it is supposed to be used, it will break. We can keep CW in business that way." Oh happy day!

The Shark Bite seemed like the only good fix. Glad the idea pleases you.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Rick, I'd heard that on one or the other forums, not from Winnebago.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Very good idea Rick, I haven't heard of shark bite valves before, do they clamp and hold onto the plastic lines without additional clamps? What size of valve did you install?
Thanks
Brent
Old 09-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

valve

RV Warner-- I was wondering the same about the lines. I just replaced my broken valve with another cheap valve. If the water lines connect to the shark bite valve I will buy one and replace the cheap plastic valve.
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by More-Gas View Post
RV Warner-- I was wondering the same about the lines. I just replaced my broken valve with another cheap valve. If the water lines connect to the shark bite valve I will buy one and replace the cheap plastic valve.
These are Pex lines. 1/2" fittings work just fine here.
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Shark bites can be used on PEX, copper and CPVC. They push on and clamp down on the pipe, they can be removed easily too.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Where did you get this part? Ours broke and need to replace on aspect 30j 2015
Btswrkn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btswrkn6 View Post
Where did you get this part? Ours broke and need to replace on aspect 30j 2015
As long as it is a simple on/off valve, Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, etc. will have a "Shark-bite" ball valve for 1/2" PEX. They are now very popular for repair solutions in stick and brick homes because this type of compression/slip fit fitting fits all standard plumbing potable water pipe materials.

There is a plastic valve but the pass through is much smaller than the brass one.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 10-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Our tank takes a very long time to fill -- at least 20 minutes. Is this normal for an 82 gallon tank? The fill valve is possibly defective. I will look at replacing the valve with a brass Shark Bite version. Thanks for the idea.

Tags
ems, problems, tank, water, winnebago