Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

winne drop water heater leaking from bottom

Hey everybody. We just picked up a used 2016 winnie drop 1780 last week and I just filled the fresh water tank so that I could flush the tank and lines. When I turned the pump on, water began to run out of the bottom of the hot water heater. I can't see it but I had water running out of the cargo bay at the end of the camper. When I shut off the water feed to the heater, the leak stops. Any ideas on what might have happened? Thanks.
2012voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Easy stuff might be: WH drain valve is not closed or the plug is missing; pressure relief valve (high on WH side with lever thingie); might be a winterizing drain valve open near the WH; or, a loose connection at the WH.

Water travels! If you have a filter (usually on the cold water side of the galley sink and under counter) check to see that it is plugged in correctly (a twist and turn); that the blanking plug is installed if filter is not; and... if filter is installed and there's chance the TT was in freezing weather that the filter is not cracked.

Along that line, find the water pump and inspect the pre-filter. Shur-flo pumps have a filter on the suction side with a clear plastic cover. The cover will fracture if not drained in freezing weather. But, if that happens it won't pump effectively or not at all.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply. I checked the drain plug and the relief valve. Both of them are dry and no water anywhere near them. When I shut off the cold water supply to the water heater, the leak stops. The pump runs ok and I left it on for half an hour after I shut the valve to the water heater off and it did not run at all until I turned the faucet on in the kitchen sink. I think that is telling me that the leak is in the water heater itself. Do you think I am correct or have I missed somerthing in my diagnosis? Thanks
Old 07-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012voltron View Post
Thanks for your reply. I checked the drain plug and the relief valve. Both of them are dry and no water anywhere near them. When I shut off the cold water supply to the water heater, the leak stops. The pump runs ok and I left it on for half an hour after I shut the valve to the water heater off and it did not run at all until I turned the faucet on in the kitchen sink. I think that is telling me that the leak is in the water heater itself. Do you think I am correct or have I missed somerthing in my diagnosis? Thanks

Thinking!!!!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012voltron View Post

Googled a 'Drop" Sweet! I like it! Much like our old Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT.

That would sound about right. Pump on leaks. Pump off no leak. Water is contained only in the WH cabinet? Maybe some more checking is necessary.

Maybe start here first:

Here's a linky to the WBGO 'Towables' Manual. Section 7 maybe of interest.

http://winnebagoind.com/resources/ma...OWABLES_US.pdf

Drain lines located in a compartment. I'd look at those as well, maybe first to be sure they are fit for purpose. Should be closed except for winterizing or draining the system. Could be it's not closed; or, not closing completely; or the drain line is not extending out of the compartment? Or there's a bad fitment in that line farther back in the coach.

Since you mentioned 'compartment....' and those lines are hidden in plain view IN a compartment.

++++++++

HWH is on the port side behind the axle. This looks like a 'conventional' 6 gallon-ish Suburban job, right? Looks like a miniature home WH. Not an instant hot model. (Don't know squat about those instant jobs but they would also have 'IN and OUT' connections.

RV WHs generally have two water lines. One low (cold in) and one high (hot out). Probably PEX line (that plastic, slightly bendy stuff sometimes colored red (hot) or blue (cold)). They use fittings that are of the 'Shark Bite' style. Cut the PEX to length and they just push the fitting on to the PEX. Nice sold, leak free connections (almost all the time). The actual connections are resin/plastic and much like the old school brass fittings in your house.

Suburban types are built as a self contained unit. There's always an 'inside' and 'outside to the WH. Outside is the pressure relief and drain; backside of the tank with the LP furnace & electric elements. And, some electrical components.

Inside the TT (on the other side of the WH) is the 'plumbing'.

What complicates the deal is that RV WHs have to have a winterizing 'by pass' that allows you to drain the WH in cold weather. Usually, that's one or two valves in the cold water IN line somewhere close to the WH on the 'house side" or inside the TT/coach. Should be right close to the WH so that you don't end up with water in the lines when you winterize. That makes maybe two lines and at least 4 connections (2 PEX Shark Bites and two conventional water system joints) and two more at the winterizing valve + two more Shark bites. The 'hot' line will divert to the rest of the TT (galley sink, lav, shower, etc.).

Now here's where I'd start: does the water leak out the WH door to the outside. Remember the WH is a self contained unit!! but divided in inner and outer. If it does, the leak is probably in the outside 'sub' compartment.

If it's leaking out somewhere else (you mentioned a 'cargo compartment' ???) that would likely mean it's leaking in the inside sub compartment. Or, somewhere else in a line or fitting.

Once you figure out inside or outside, maybe you can traced the fittings/PEX from the inside sub-compartment/winterization area to somewhere else in the system.

Maybe a tip? Cold water comes directly from the FW tank/shore water through the pump to the faucets. Hot water comes from the top of the WH to the HW faucets (Duh, Crows!!!! we know that!!!) Almost all the time, the HWH is located near the galley or near the Lav. Not always, but every RV we've had the HWH sat right under the galley sink. From the 'hot out' on the HWH, they run a line up to the hot faucet in the galley sink. You need to look at all the connections under the sink. Yes! a B@$t@rd of a job! But installers ain't the sharpest tools in the kit and sometimes they don't tighten or cross thread connections. Bears looking at.

The other area is the cold water line into the HWH. They will very often spring a line from the Cold In up to the galley sink cold faucet. But, they put in a simple carbon filter in the line figuring you use cold for cooking, drawing water, etc.. They are installed using PEX because it's bendy and you can work it easily in a confined space. There's an IN and OUT on the filter base. Need to check those for leaks at the joints and the Shark Bites. Then the filter base. No cracks. No jammed O-rings? Last, the actual filter to base connection. These are usually 'bayonet' types..... push in and twist. Mine have a pair of O-rings on the 'nipple'. All that hast to be good or it will leak like Niagara Falls! Also, the filter can break or crack, especially if it's been in freezing weather (even in a cabinet). There should be a 'plug' with a bayonet fitting somewhere in the trailer's kit to blank it off when necessary.

If it's not leaking at the galley sink, go to the Lav. Same deal. check all the joints and Shark Bites under the sink. Shower and head plumbing are usually under floor and impossible to get to so you might have to pass on that. Next, is the outside water closet if you have one. Water's not leaking out from there? If it does, it should go straight to ground as they have drains in the bottom. Out door shower? Check the hose fittings and valves.

Again, the water pump..... check to see all fittings are tight AND that the pre-filter is not cracked and that is is also tight to the fitting.

If all is good, that would take me back to the shower based on my experience. Our 14 View developed a chronic puddle on the shower floor. No big thing.. just an annoyance. We'd dry it, drive awhile and go to use the head and there it was.... again. Since it was in the shower pan... no big deal. After one trip I decided that the problem was behind the shower wall vic. the water faucet assembly. Well, that's a problem because once you remove the faucet manifold and pull it out a bit, you have an area the size of a tea cup to put your hand into to check the connections. YEP! One was wet! and the water was dripping down the back side of the shower stall and fortunately it would drain out on the inside to the pan. PITA to fix but the reason was that the fittings were cross threaded and they cut up the O-rings on both fittings.

Thinking about this while writing... just to be sure.... When on shore water, you turn the water pump off, right? Not needed due to shore water pressure. And you are using a pressure reducer on the shore water input??? The system is designed to take shore water but if the pressure is too high, it could be opening the anti-return valves and dribbling water into the FW tank. The tank is vented and it will puke water out the overflow if it's over filled.

I don't know where your FW tank is located. Usually they are between the frame rails behind the axle. Sometimes built into a 'box' under the bed. Right close to the fill port(s) and water closet. It is possible, when hooked to shore water that if the backflow valve is opened and there's a leak in one of the hose connections to or from the FW tank OR the overflow line. Anything is possible.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I am a little confused. If I shut off the cold water supply to the water heater I can leave the pump on all day I have absolutely no leaks anywhere. If I turn the water supply back on to the water heater, I have lots of water inside the portion of the water heater cabinet that is inside the camper (actually under the queen bed in the rear of the camper) and of course it runs back through the rear cargo bay and leaks out. The shutoff valve itself is not leaking. That being said, if I had leaks other than at the water heater itself, wouldn't the pump run at least intermittently ? In my mind, a leak is the same as a demand signal as far as the pump is concerned and a leak would cause the pump to run. I also think that if I had leaks on the hot water side, I would have water showing up under the kitchen sink or in the bathroom. Both of these areas are totally dry. Am I missing something, or misunderstanding something? I am certainly an amateur at RV plumbing, that's for sure. Thank you so much for helping me understand what I am chasing here.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Clarification. I am only using fresh water tank and not hooking up to "city water" connection at all. Thanks again
Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Ahh... more good information. Doesn't leak when the HWH is cut out of the system by closing the FW (cold) valve. Leaks when you open the valve and pump runs.

I'd say that you have a leak somewhere beyond the shut off valve on the the side going to the HWH and the tank. Or a leak at the pipe where it joins the HWH because it only leaks under pressure. Could also be a leak in the tank as you have guessed.

I'll offer that if it's leaking 'inside' the house and not in the exterior portion that would drain out side through the HWH hatch it's on the side of the tank toward the inside of the TT. Quite possibly.

Is there a styrofoam 'shell' insulation around the HWH? Can you remove it? I can pull mine apart to actually see the tank and fittings. That might help to locate the leak.

I'm sort of out of ideas.... I'd like to know what you find!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of your time and help. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I will have to postpone more diagnostic work as we are leaving in the morning for a 3 day stay at a state park. I have looked at the styrofoam shell around the HWH briefly but have not been able to figure out how to get it off. I was thinking about splitting both sides but have not yet explored all of the possibilities. I can actually see where the lines attach to the tank. It looks like the steel fittings are welded on and the threaded lines just screw into the tank at those points. I will continue to investigate when we return from our "cold water only" camping trip. My other half is not thrilled about not having hot water but what can you do? Hard to fix a problem that you haven't located yet. Have a wonderful weekend. Our temps here in PA are finally going to drop out of the heat wave range and we will enjoy highs of about 80 with low humidity for about 4 days. Thanks again for all of your help. I will let you know what I find.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well, our "cold water" camping trip was very nice. We enjoyed wonderful weather and only ran the A/C for part of one afternoon. I took a fresh look at our water leak and I have determined that the water heater itself is the culprit. I called the dealer that we bought it from (it was a consignment sale for a customer of their's) and explained the situation to them. So the service advisor checked with the sales manager and they are going to take care of the problem for us. We have other trips planned so we won't be able to get in to their shop until the third week in August. We are happy with that, we can certainly live without hot water for a while and we are glad that they stepped up to the plate for us. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

So glad to hear that a dealer is doing the right thing for you. (That seems to be a rare outcome lately.) Good luck and report back when it's fixed.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

There you go! Sometimes, life ain't so simple. Let the 'wrenches' bust their knuckles now that you have ID'd the problem. Not a horrible wait time, considering.

Forensic analysis of the HWH would be enlightening. Keep us posted. Please!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Water heater update

Hey everybody. Just wanted to let you all know that the dealer has replaced our water heater. Took us longer to get back in for the repair due to the fact that we had to replace both front axles in the Jeep Cherokee due to a "wobble" during acceleration which CarMax did for us at no charge. The RV dealer was awesome!! They didn't just replace the bad tank, they replaced the whole water heater for us at no charge. I am so pleased because this was actually a consignment sale for them and the bill of sale was marked "as is" but when I explained what had happened, the said they would take care of it for us. I want to put in a plug for them, they are Fretz RV in Souderton PA and they have been great to us all the way through the purchase and this repair. They also replaced the 50 amp cord set for us because the outer jacket had come apart. I think the previous owner may have tried to drive off with it still attached. I also think he did not winterize properly because the water heater tank was split. Anyway, thank you all so much for all of the advice and support. This is the greatest forum that I have ever been associated with. Michael

Tags
heat, heater, leak, water, water heater