Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I've read several posts regarding freezing issues and it seems there are a lot of people out there who simply will not use the RV antifreeze....why is this? I was enjoying the marine life on a 30' Bayliner for many years before changing over to the RV life style here recently and I have always thoroughly flushed my water systems with the RV antifreeze during winterization. It's cheap and I have never...ever...had a freeze up issue that caused any damage to my system components. I'll agree it's a little time consuming to flush out the antifreeze in the spring, flush again with some bleach added to the water and I have to change out my water filters.....but it's not really all that bad considering the alternative. In fact, I flush with the stuff even if I'm only going to be in storage for a month or two and there's a chance the temperatures will drop into that "danger" zone. Am I missing something here? Is there something that this antifreeze is doing to my system that I don't know about? I'm just curious as to why the reluctance to use the antifreeze for winter protection.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've read several posts regarding freezing issues and it seems there are a lot of people out there who simply will not use the RV antifreeze....why is this? I was enjoying the marine life on a 30' Bayliner for many years before changing over to the RV life style here recently and I have always thoroughly flushed my water systems with the RV antifreeze during winterization. It's cheap and I have never...ever...had a freeze up issue that caused any damage to my system components. I'll agree it's a little time consuming to flush out the antifreeze in the spring, flush again with some bleach added to the water and I have to change out my water filters.....but it's not really all that bad considering the alternative. In fact, I flush with the stuff even if I'm only going to be in storage for a month or two and there's a chance the temperatures will drop into that "danger" zone. Am I missing something here? Is there something that this antifreeze is doing to my system that I don't know about? I'm just curious as to why the reluctance to use the antifreeze for winter protection.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The reason I don't use it is because I use my MH all through the winter. when I'm in it I have no freeze up problems. Where I live it is usally above frezzing during the day. I always drain my tanks and drain the lineswhen I put it away. On the way out to where I store it are several big hills that I have to go up and down, I figure this "sloshes" out the water in the low spots so it can drain. so far no problem.

As far as the pink stuff goes, it's a chemical and I just can't bring myself to put it in my water lines.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I always used it in my previous travel trailers with no problems. Since we've had motorhomes, I just drain well, blow out the lines, and use just enough RV antifreeze to protect the pump.

As others have said, if we get the itch to go somewhere in colder weather, I don't have to spend a lot of time flushing away the antifreeze. Re-winterizing after a trip is pretty easy to do.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Same as already said, we get an early freeze but we're not done camping. I don't want to risk things so I winterize, but then a few weeks later we're going camping. Though the anti-freeze is "cheap" its not cheap when you dewinterize 4 times. For me its just quicker to blow the lines and add enough to protect the pump.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #6

For $6.00, antifreeze is cheap, and just as fast as blowing out the lines.....my opinion, of course.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #7

We live just northwest of Houston, TX. Temperatures don't get that low (the lowest we saw this winter was about 25 degF), and we use the RV year around. In addition, the RV is in covered storage, so we can keep a ceramic heater going during the cold snaps.

We did use RV antifreeze when we lived in Ohio and stored a 5th wheel during the winter.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There is nothing wrong with RV antifreeze. I used it for years in my old Class C. The only problem I ever had was when I didn't winterize soon enough. Now I blow out the water lines in my Class A and pour RV antifreeze down the drains.

As FrontRangeRVer said "antifreeze is cheap, and just as fast as blowing out the lines", so it's a matter of choice. If you don't have an air compressor it may cost more, initially, if you have to buy a compressor.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JD Allen:
There is nothing wrong with RV antifreeze. /QUOTE]

That's what they said about asbestos....

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I guess my concern would be running into issues such as:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just replaced my 4th Shur-Flo water pump in two years. It seems that no matter how well I blow out my water lines when winterizing, the pump still has residual water and freezes. When I get ready to travel I find I have water emitting from the rear side of the pump. Shur-Flo says this is a defective diaphram and have replaced the pumps under warranty. That is great but it is a pain to replace the pump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was just recently posted by another member. I think the last time I replaced one of these pumps (on my boat) it was well over $100. I guess my thought is that if I run the bleach water through as a chaser and change out my filters...any residue from the RV antifreeze chemical would be removed. I've been doing it this way for many years and it hasn't affected me yet...accept there is that one twitch I get now and then...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We do 70-80 units a year and the only time we use AF is if it has a new Smart Sensor pump, and then just enough to get it into the pump housing. For the rest of them it is blow it out and some windshield washer fluid down the drains.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I guess I' either ignorant or paranoid....I've always stored it with the system full of RV antifreeze. We use it in the winter to ski probably 8-10 weekends, but as soon as I get home, I have always drained out the water and pumped her full of the pink. You can find it for $3 a gallon, so I never thought it was too expensive for what it saved me in being cautious. Never blown it out; do you buy a fitting for the city water hook up and attach the compressor (at what I would assume to be low pressure) ? I'd be open to doing it this way if it's any easier.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Jason, in my packet from Winnebago there was a hook up-compressor adapter included - though I already had one. I just figure if I can save the $$$ I'm better off. Just do what works for you and most of all do something.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I hate the anti freeze as it takes a long time to get it out of your system and will cause your seals to leak till it is all gone. I used it this year but next winter I will blow my lines clean and will only use a little in the drains.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garybtt:
will cause your seals to leak till it is all gone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? I have never heard of that!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have had major problems with faucets and the seals in the grey and black tanks untill all rements of the anti freeze was gone.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I have used RV antifreeze for years in all of my motor homes. I have had no problems. It just requires a good flushing in the spring and in IMHO that should happen anyway. I will continue to use it as it gives me a comfort level that blowing out does not.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:07 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I had heard somewhere that blowing out could cause more problems than RV antifreeze with seals. Maybe that was where the confusion was with me.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
jasonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

If you have a preplumbed washer dryer area remember to push out anti IN PIPES because it will keep leaching back into water system if you FORGET.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote