Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

I would go to plumbing store with the o-ring in hand. Maybe they can match it up...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

AMANDA...
check ace hardware for o rings. napa auto stores have them also.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

The last time I needed one I found them at Home Depot.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
Duncan the Dalmation
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn L100 Toad
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #24

Thanks for the suggestions Trek, Dan, and Robb. We will check once we have the canister apart again so we can take the o-ring to somewhere to match it up.

So far, what we did was just slather a whole bunch of silicone plumbers grease on our stretched out o-ring and screwed it back on (we're out of K-Y ) No leaks! *yay!*

And let me add that we went to Home Depot and bought a pair of GE carbon paper filters for about $13. We also saw a Whirlpool pair for about a dollar less at Lowes. We learned that as long as they're a size C1 , they'll fit any canister brand.

Note: Anybody who is having problems with the water flow in their coach, be sure to replace this filter!! We thought our flow problem was our water pressure regulator-throttle thingy we put on our hose. Boy! What a difference it makes replacing that filter! Showers are SO much better, washing dishes is really easy now! I'm literally a "happy camper!"
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #26

*laughs* Thanks again, Trek-Cyclist.

When you said that you have your filter "in front" of your softener does it matter if it's in front or not?

The way we figure to do it would be to have the softener first in line and the filter will be behind it because it's built into the coach. I assume that it doesn't make a difference, right?

I've sent you a PM to ask some questions about the softener if you have the time.

Thanks again.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

It looks like I got to one post before learning if a filter after the water softener is a good thing. PM foled me. Does anybody have the answer to this?
Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #28
Winnie-Wise

I have put a water filter in front of the water softener with the thinking that it will be beneficial to the water softener. I do not want this expensive device to become plugged up with gunk! I also have the whole house water filter on my motorhome. So far, I have kept a filter in it too - just "because". I don't see any pressure reduction by having both in line. If I ever get to where I don't think I need both filters then I will take the filter cartridge out of the whole house canister and leave the filter in front of the water softener.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Back to the issue of O rings for the water canister. I bought several replacements form Lichtsinn Motors. They are my parts source for nearly everything and their prices are very good. Just give them a call.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

I use a sediment filter between the shore water and the coach ...I presume that would be before the water softener if I had one. I started using the sediment filter after having find sand in the shower and galley sink at a few locations. I replace it ever 3 months. After seeing what the sediment filter catches, I would not be without it!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

I use the whole coach filter. After 1-2 months it is amazing down in Florida, how much sea shell debris is trapped by the filter. This kind of debris could really screw up a water system.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote