Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Which Watts

I need to replace the pressure reducer to a Watts pressure regulator. I have looked at Home Depot but am not sure which one would be best. Can those of you that have purchased a Watts PR tell me where you got yours and what model you selected?

Also, I need to find a way to mount this in my wet bay (2005 Suncruiser) and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has mounted theirs.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

check the site for a version of Watts 263
Old 12-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had the Watts regulator but switched to the Valterra model with gauge since it was smaller and would fit in my water bay. You can find it at most RV dealers. Five years of operating full-time without a problem.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I would go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the smallest one available. The price should be the best at the big box stores. Mount it on the hydrant end of the hose so all of your system is at the regulated pressure. No need to muck around in the Wet bay.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I use a watts LF223 in 3/4 inch. (LF stands for lead free) Is good to inlet pressure of up to 300psi and regulator is adjustable from 25-75 psi. I also put mine at the parks water hook up. I have blown a hose from high pressure years ago, so I want to protect my hose too. I actually found mine online, cant remeber the vendor. Most any local plumbinmg suply should be able to get one for you.

Spence
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
I need to replace the pressure reducer to a Watts pressure regulator. I have looked at Home Depot but am not sure which one would be best. Can those of you that have purchased a Watts PR tell me where you got yours and what model you selected?

Also, I need to find a way to mount this in my wet bay (2005 Suncruiser) and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has mounted theirs.

Thanks
osgoor,
Well Sir, you can use a "Watts" if you'd like, it's certainly your coach. The one in the link below is the one I and many RVers use. It goes right on the end of the hose and ties into the water hose bib at campsites/RV sites. When installed like that, it protects the hose too and, the good part, it's fully adjustable. Just some info for you to ponder. Good luck.
Scott

Adjustable Water Regulator - Lead Free - Valterra A01-1117VP - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I attached my regulator right where the hose connects in the wet bay.

The thought that attaching at the campground source is protecting the hose is not correct.

When it's 110 degrees and the sun is shining on the hose it can burst. Had it happen.

So mine is permanently attached in the bay.

I carry a separate water gauge to check pressure occasionally.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Watts is the premier brand of regulator in both residential and industrial use for over 125 years. If you can get a Watts valve then you will have the just about the best regulator available on the market. I have maintained facilities with Watts regulators that were still in service after 50 years running 24/7. The Valtera regulator I purchased was stamped with the Watts die mark on the casting which is the only reason I made the purchase.

About Watts - A Tradition of Innovation and Quality. Founded in 1874 by Joseph Watts
Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I attached my regulator right where the hose connects in the wet bay.

The thought that attaching at the campground source is protecting the hose is not correct.

When it's 110 degrees and the sun is shining on the hose it can burst. Had it happen.

So mine is permanently attached in the bay.

I carry a separate water gauge to check pressure occasionally.
I'm sorry I'm a little confused. I just assumed that the regulator should be connected at the water source before the water travels through the hose.
Is my reasoning in error? And yes I know what assuming does. Just curious.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosters 67 View Post
I use a watts LF223 in 3/4 inch. (LF stands for lead free) Is good to inlet pressure of up to 300psi and regulator is adjustable from 25-75 psi. I also put mine at the parks water hook up. I have blown a hose from high pressure years ago, so I want to protect my hose too. I actually found mine online, cant remeber the vendor. Most any local plumbinmg suply should be able to get one for you.

Spence
I removed mine from the water bay for that very reason. You might as well protect the water hose too. Had a neighbor knock on the door and tell me I had water spraying all over the place last summer. I mounted mine to the outlet side of a Y adapter. I hook the Y up to the faucet.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
I removed mine from the water bay for that very reason. You might as well protect the water hose too. Had a neighbor knock on the door and tell me I had water spraying all over the place last summer. I mounted mine to the outlet side of a Y adapter. I hook the Y up to the faucet.
Same here.....bought the brass splitter and attached the watts regulator followed by the filter, followed by the hose.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for the replies. I am going with the Vallterra and will place it at the source. This feedback is why I come here almost exclusively….

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I do not argue with the logic of putting a pressure regulator on the park side water source. I've done it and used the nice ones with from CW. I have to admit however that I've left them at the park on 2 occasions now. At $60 a pop I'm feeling a) forgetful and foolish and b) like there should be a better way. I'm thinking replacing a hose is cheaper than a pressure regulator and was actually planning on putting one on the coach. Just another opinion.
eggman1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Valtera in use here - and we put it at the park's water supply rather than at the coach. Works great. As others have mentioned, don't forget it when you leave!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-2 Pilot View Post
I'm sorry I'm a little confused. I just assumed that the regulator should be connected at the water source before the water travels through the hose.
Is my reasoning in error? And yes I know what assuming does. Just curious.

You can put it either place...just a matter of personal preference.

As eggman1950 said there is also the chance of it being left at the site.

I can see me leaving it at the site too. I've left a couple things at the site over the years, lol
Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like you've decided, but one thing to consider is the flow rate. I have not found a believable test result for the Valterra and they don't have flow/pressure curve data like Watts and the others have. If you add a filter, you could get lower a flow rate. You can get a quality Watts 263a, that's rebuildable if ever needed, and gives 4+ gpm for just a few $$ more than the Valterra one. After doing a lot or research, I just ordered the 263a (under $60) and will be mounting it inside along with a high flow rate "whole house" combination filter. I know it's recommended to mount the regulator at the source end of the hose, but a basic hose usually has a burst pressure rating of something like 200 psi. If you get a better quality hose, the rating goes much higher. The thing to do is to take care of your hose(s), don't use a cheapo quality one, and replace it if it is getting tired looking and you'll be fine with the regulator inside. I like the idea of being inside as it will never get stolen, forgotten or damaged.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #17

NOTE:
If your RV has a pressure regulator built into in the "water inlet", (my coach has one of these: SHURflo 183-029-14 Chrome Wall Mount Pressure Regulator Water Entry : Amazon.com : Automotive), adding a second pressure regulator will result in an unsatisfactory flow/volume of water.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
I suppose there's a possibility of leaving the regulator at the spigot when disconnecting and getting ready to pull out. But, in my case, it would be pretty tough to do that because I put that regulator on the hose with a couple of tools/wrenches etc. The only one I CAN do/un-do by hand is the one female that attaches the regulator to the spigot.

And, if you really wanted to make sure you never left it, that would be simple too. You can get a "Cable ferrule" crimp tool from Home Depot for about $20.00. Then, pickup some small, 3/32" cable which, many times is plastic coted, and a couple of the ferrules for it. Now, all that's needed to be done is, cut the cable in the appropriate length, run it through a ferrule, around the narrowest part of the regulator and back through the ferrule. Then, crimp that ferrule.

Then, do that same thing around the flexible part of your garden hose (but don't do it enough to kink the hose). Now, there's no way on this planet that you could possibly leave that regulator behind. And yes, as many of you have answered, putting that regulator, whatever regulator you choose, at the park spigot, DOES PROTECT THE HOSE! We've been in many parks where the gate/check in attendant asked if we use a water pressure regulator and we always tell them "Yep, we do". And many of them tell us "good" because our water pressure is right at 90 PSI

A couple of examples are Sparks Marina and RV Park in Sparks NV, and The Springs @ Borrego in Borrego CA. Good luck with whatever regulator you end up with. It's a preference thing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

One state CG we stayed at outside Fruita, CO, had a water pressure approaching 100 psi. Regulators are valuable additions to the coach.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
And yes, as many of you have answered, putting that regulator, whatever regulator you choose, at the park spigot, DOES PROTECT THE HOSE! We've been in many parks where the gate/check in attendant asked if we use a water pressure regulator and we always tell them "Yep, we do". And many of them tell us "good" because our water pressure is right at 90 PSI
Scott
The thing is though, does anyone actually measure the cg pressure at their site before their regulator? When they say 90 psi, is it at each site, or at the main supply source end for the whole cg? I would guess that at each site, it's less than 90, and maybe a lot less. From what I've read, it's usually a sudden spike in overall cg pressure that causes a problem, not a steady state high pressure.

RVs are normally rated 125 psi and 60 - 65 is a good setting to run at.

Besides wanting to protect your hose, the other reason for wanting a regulator is that when showering, you don't want to get a sudden blast of hot or cold water from a sudden pressure change. RV shower valves aren't normally pressure compensated.

If you don't want to use a regulator at the source end of your hose, you just need to select the right hose. For example:

This Valterra RV hose has a burst strength of 200 psi (5/8") or 265 psi (1/2"):
www.rvupgradestore.com/Valterra-AquaFRESH-Drinking-Water-Hose-p/valt-aqua.htm

This Valterra one is rated 70 psi and it specifically says to use with a regulator:
Valterra EZ Flow Kink-Free Hose

If you go by this Walmart Camco description, it "protects you from any kind of bursting."
www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-25-Fresh-Water-Hose/14504301

but this Walmart Camco description says 150 psi:
www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-25-Fresh-Water-Hose/14504301

Does anyone know of instances where someone has had their hose burst from confirmed high cg pressure?
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote