Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What were the fresh water lines made of or called in the late 90's?

I am doing some repairs on my 97 Winnebago water lines and I dont think it's PEX because its all grey lines with indicator stripes on the lines for hot or cold. The threaded connectors on the ends of the lines required no tools to take apart but used a rubber ferrule inside each one and I am desperate to find a new fitting just so I can cobble that rubber bit from it to fix a leak ASAP.

If anyone knows what those connections were called so when I call camping world in the AM they will understand what I am talking about. (If they even have any of those things anymore).

Thanks.
Vectraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Polybutylene pipe (PB) is the gray tubing that was made between the late 70’s and mid 90’s. I think that it is also called it quest pipe. It is no longer used, something about a lawsuit. It would break without warning and flood the place. Replace it with pex. They make PB to pex couplers.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Can't get to the connector without pulling the tub or modifying a wall. Do they still sell connectors? I just need a rubber seal that's inside each one. I guess I'll call Winnebago for help as this is kinda time sensitive.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Vectraguy, the links below may help, one is the plumbing diagram for your coach and the other is the parts list. The fresh water parts are on the second page
Might try Lichtsinn's or look for a mobile home part place.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...35wq_plumb.pdf
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...g_callouts.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Try a good hardware store like Ace or True Value.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectraguy View Post
Can't get to the connector without pulling the tub or modifying a wall. Do they still sell connectors? I just need a rubber seal that's inside each one. I guess I'll call Winnebago for help as this is kinda time sensitive.
Vectraguy
Do your fittings and connectors look like these?
FLAIR-IT by THC
That's what's used on the fresh water lines in my '96 Safari.

Most RV stores sell Flair-It fittings... (and should have the "rubber seals").
Or try Home Depot and Lowes... or online.

Good luck
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I ended up realizing the drop ear connection was cracked so I pulled and twisted until it broke free and removed the line between the brass shower valve and shower head area and redid it with brass fittings and PEX. The fortunate thing is the escussuon for the shower stem threaded onto the stem pulling everything tight to the wall eliminating the need to mount the new 90* drop ear connector to the walls interior. I wish all shower escussuons used that mount method.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mel, thanks that will help for the next time I need to know what those are because I had not heard them called that yet. I would love to change everything over to PEX but I don't see it happening due to the complexity and limited access from the basement.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
I ended up realizing the drop ear connection was cracked so I pulled and twisted until it broke free and removed the line between the brass shower valve and shower head area and redid it with brass fittings and PEX. The fortunate thing is the escussuon for the shower stem threaded onto the stem pulling everything tight to the wall eliminating the need to mount the new 90* drop ear connector to the walls interior. I wish all shower escussuons used that mount method.
I'm happy to hear you fixed the problem.

Quote:
Mel, thanks that will help for the next time I need to know what those are because I had not heard them called that yet. I would love to change everything over to PEX but I don't see it happening due to the complexity and limited access from the basement.
All of the fittings and valves in my fresh water system are Flair-It fittings...and I believe the water lines are Quest polybutylene pipe, (not PEX).
Neither has caused me any problems for 19 years, (140k miles).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, led, water