Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Water tank sensors

Bought a new (2012) Journey 40U and noticed the sensors on the fresh water tank are spaced very close together. I am wondering what the reason is for this. When the tank shows empty there is at least a half of tank of water still in the tank?????
mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Look at the plumbing diagram for your MH. You'll find it within the links "007" has in stickys at the top of the Winnebago forum page. My MH has 3 inter-connected fresh water tanks for better space utilization. Anyway, the visible tank fills to 1/2 quickly, but fills very slow thereafter, as the other 2 tanks are then filling too. My sensors always appeared out-of-place. Your post caused me to think about why my MH fills the way it does and sensor positions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfish View Post
Bought a new (2012) Journey 40U and noticed the sensors on the fresh water tank are spaced very close together. I am wondering what the reason is for this. When the tank shows empty there is at least a half of tank of water still in the tank?????
I found the same thing. I measured the sections of the tank and calculated the gallons in each than relocated the sensors. They can be peeled off and relocated. Mine are now at 8.5 & 17.5" from the floor to the top of the sensor. Didn't touch the top one.

I have not noticed any adverse affect from storing my jack blocks when traveling. They read as they are set.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

When ours reads full I found out its only about 3/4 full if that..
Old 12-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
When ours reads full I found out its only about 3/4 full if that..
If you can see your sensors you can correct this. If you warm them with a hairdryer they peel off fairly well, or you can use double faced tape to reattach them.

I measured the sections of my tank to figure out how much water was in each. I adjusted my sensors according to the calculations. Seems to be working fine now.

Rick
Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have wondered about mine as well and speculated about the possibility of the tank being a shape other than square. My thinking was the bottom end may be tapered to fit space available and the gauge placed high because of that. Probably should spend some time looking at it but since I spend more time hooked to the water in the parks it has not been an issue.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
I have wondered about mine as well and speculated about the possibility of the tank being a shape other than square. My thinking was the bottom end may be tapered to fit space available and the gauge placed high because of that. Probably should spend some time looking at it but since I spend more time hooked to the water in the parks it has not been an issue.
Hi Larry,

My tank is a 'L' shape. I can see it clearly and I was able to get a tape measure on it. By dividing the tank into sections you can guesstimate pretty close where the sensors 'should' be. I don't know why the factory team can't get this simple job done correctly. A simple jig would suffice.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to waylntat2
Yes,, I also have the Question about the water tank when it says E we have alot of water left the tank is very easly seen in the 1st outside compartment pasenger side.. 2013 40U Journey,, saw a 2014 it has the same spaceing..30 or more gal when it says E . the top 2 are realy close together..
waylntat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had my sensors moved under warranty by 3t's in Lake Havasu City. I marked my tank by filling it and then draining out 10 gals at a time.

Here is the before

Here is the after
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If you can see your sensors you can correct this. If you warm them with a hairdryer they peel off fairly well, or you can use double faced tape to reattach them.

I measured the sections of my tank to figure out how much water was in each. I adjusted my sensors according to the calculations. Seems to be working fine now.

Rick

^^This.

Only I put mine where I wanted them. There are only three on my tanks, the freshwater one was the problem. I really just wanted to know when it was close to empty so the lower one got moved down. The middle one in the middle, and the top one a couple of inches down from the top.

They stuck back on with the adhesive they came with.

The holding tanks seem to be fine.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

This was a problem with this rig when I bought it. We seemed to be going through water very fast, according to the gauge. DW was not happy thinking that she was running out of water.

I, too, saw the sensors on the tank in the compartment next to the entrance door. I measured the tank sections and figured out the volume of each area. One extends into the frame and the other L's down into the compartment. (All one tank.) I placed the sensors accordingly, moving the center and bottom one. They came off fairly easily with a firm, guided pulling of the edges of the sensor. I had to get some of the slack out of the wire to reach the new destination, but all went well. They stuck back on with the stickum left behind and have not moved since I did this several months ago. DW is now a happy camper

Tags
tank, water