Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Storage

When not using my Adventurer should I drain the water holding tank?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The only reason my fresh water tank is drained is when I must winterize the MH when we stay home in winter. Right now the tank is full of fresh water, has been since May. When we do get to go somewhere (DW recovering from auto accident). We use the onboard water for drinking and cooking, albeit we have a Everpure water filter in the kitchen.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Personally I dump the Potable water tank about every 2-3 weeks and refill it with fresh water. Because the tank is not sealed I don't want to take the chance of getting sick from it. But that's just me
Old 09-13-2016, 06:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I only drain my tank for winter storage. Like supergewl I worry about getting sick from bad water so we only drink bottled water. During our trip through Yukon we stopped at one campground that the government closed for six weeks due to bad water.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
Site Team

I use a good 1 micron filter when I fill the tank and add the recommended dose of water freshener. Once a year I disinfect with bleach. We have used our water without problem for 4 1/2 years and the inside of the water tank looks new.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I usually fill chlorinated water from my house, or if it had some chlorinated water from on the road I leave it in. If the RV is sitting for over a few weeks I can and do a sanitize using some bleach.

I also use bottled water for cooking and drinking. I also have been in campgrounds that have had some of their wells shut down - not a fuzzy feeling drinking from any of the other wells in the area.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I use a good 1 micron filter when I fill the tank and add the recommended dose of water freshener. Once a year I disinfect with bleach. We have used our water without problem for 4 1/2 years and the inside of the water tank looks new.
I believe that water freshener is sodium hypochlorite, another form of chlorine. You could use some bleach at the proper mix and achieve the same thing.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Site Team

They do the job without any taste of chlorine. I've worked with Chemists and know that a form of chlorine can be VERY different than the chemical itself. I am a fan of fresheners and in my experience they have made a difference in taste and purity.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

What do you recommend as a additive?
Old 09-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
Site Team

I have used TastePure (Sodium Hypochlorite) that you can get anywhere, even Walmart. Note it has a short shelf life (about 6 months) after opening.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40206-T.../dp/B000BQLQYM

And also Purogene (Chlorine Dioxide) - harder to find, but I think a better solution because it stores indefinitely before opened and a year after. I buy the small 4oz container.
4.0 Oz Purogene Water Storage Treatment - Purogene Long Term Water Purification Treatment

Here's some additional info on Purogene:
Purogene

Tags
storage, water