Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Pump Working Continuously and Low Pressure

This is for a 2018 Era.

Water pump continues running lightly when no faucet is on and when faucets are on, the pump speeds up but water sputters and pressure is very low. When on city water, the flow and pressure is great.

I've done most of the basic things I've read about on here. The water tank is full. The fill valve is on normal. I rinsed pump filter with hot water. The winterization valve is on normal. There is no water build up or visible leaks anywhere in piping.

The water pressure worked fine until I mistakenly left the water pump on a day or two with no water in the tank.

Any ideas at what the issue may be? Did I break the water pump by leaving it on? Would I visibly see water standing or dripping if there was an issue with hole/crack in tubing?

Thanks so much!
astringer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Have you looked at the pump? We had similar trouble with ours that turned out to be the machine screws that hold the pump head to the motor base had loosened and backed out.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Two of the four water pump screws did pull up from the floor. I re-screwed them in and it still stays running lightly.

Edit: I put a water filter cartridge in water filter housing and the water stopped running altogether, but the pump still lightly runs.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Given the above info, I might guess that the impeller on the pump may be worn to the point that it no longer fits tight enough to build the pressure needed to shut off.
A look at your manuals may give you the info on what brand and model of pump you have and from there it might be worthwhile to do an online search for a troubleshooting guide, if that is the way you want to go.
The pump if not usually hard to get out and take apart to look at the impeller, so that is also a way to go.
I would look at the impeller (rubber?) to see how worn looking the edges are as I suspect they have been rubbing on the metal side way too long and need replacement.
Reason for the filter to change things is that the filter added a bit more restriction to flow and the pump just can't push enough to make water pass. It keep running until the pressure sensing switch turns it off, which doesn't happen as the pressure never gets to the minimum level required to shut down.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

i encountered a similar problem with 2018 View 24V. I had filled the tank via city water inlet. When I turned on the pump it would continue plus little pressure. IT seems the fill valve was not all the way back to normal position
Cindy_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I replaced the water pump and it is still having the same problem.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm at a loss here and would like to avoid taking it to the shop.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

There is a check valve just at the point where the city water connects. It is a very simple spring loaded item and there are times when it can get hung up and not close. Perhaps take a look at the hole where normally water goes into things and see if that little gizmo looks like it is sealing the hole. If the pump is running at the time, it may be possible to feel air being pushed out of the hole but I have never had it happen to me and never felt for air.
I have read posts about people using some small item to "flip" the spring thing back into place.
Perhaps worth a try.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Morich. Just went out and checked it an that part was sealed properly.

I flipped it to the fill position for a couple minutes with no hose connected and it clearly sounded like water was circulating. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

I'm perplexed as to what it could be at this point. I appreciate the help and any more suggestions. It worked the first time we primed it and then just stopped.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

This one sounds like it just doesn't want to work!
So let's get a bigger picture. You are fortunate in that your year does have some really great info on the parts list that shows picture type drawings of the parts as well as a list in PDF style. Problem is that there are actually seven different versions of your year!
Can you spot from this list, exactly which you have?
I'm pulling this from this link:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Depending on system, many folks can access this parts list and it gives great info on where and what we have in our RV. Sometimes it needs you to go through downloading a Cortuna 3D viewer, so debatable whether it is worth the trouble for short term use but it does give a great deal of info if you can get there. Takes a while to learn how to turn it all around and get things blown up to view. Caution, easy to get the RV turned over!
I see a flushing system and things that may or may not be involved.
Is your pump located above the fresh water tank so that is has to draw water UP to get itself primed? My thought is that if the pump is running but not moving water, it may have something keeping it from priming, so we might look along the line from the tank to the pump, but that's where we need to know for sure which RV as we could chase it a long time on the wrong one of the seven options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 era.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	174038   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 era example.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	174039  

Old 06-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Morich. I have fought with that website for other reason (black water leak), but ultimately didn't get it to work. The version we have is the first one. the 170A with serial ending in 1. The water pump is right above the water tank which probably isn't the optimal place.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Gonna get tricky now! Got to ask some questions and let you look at snips of the drawings to see if they make sense to what you see. Got some weird angles going on the drawings to turn them so you can see but I see a valve which you might/ might not know about and it looks like directly in line from the tank to the pump. Do you know about the valve used to suck antifreeze into the lines for winterize? I would expect a short piece of tubing with a cap to stick in the jugs. Maybe need to make sure it is not open in some way to let the pump suck air as being easier than sucking water?
Let me know if this drawing is okay or if you know where to find this valve that I've marked in red?
Top pic is from outside kinda low looking up at the pump,
Next is looking down on the pump and from the rear more.
Valve description from parts list
Last is turned a bit more to show valve form outside. Big red/black item is gravity fill port.
Is this in compartment, etc. where you can access it to check?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bypass valve.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	174042   Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass valve 3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	174044  

Name:	barb.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	174045  
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I am familiar with that winterizaiton valve. it is currently set to normal but I haven't checked if it's sucking any air up close. My next thought was to put that tube in a 5 gallon bucket of water to see which side of the water pump the leak is on.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Okay, if you know of that one, any chance of the filter on the pump having some air leak? Not logical as you probably changed it with the pump? no chance of the filter being clogged. Just running on through toward the pump, looking for "something"!
Any easy way to tell if the pump is actually getting water to pump from the tank or is it more like the outgoing is stopped up?
any value in trying to remove the outlet of the pump do a quick pump run to see it can pump to that point?
Any of these "brainstorms" that are more trouble than I see, feel okay to say so!
Old 06-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Know about the water filter? Looks like a tube from pump output to filter and out to kitchen sink cold water, so if not getting it that far, the problem seems close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	174047  
Old 06-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! Yeah... when the filter is in, no water comes out at all. When the filter is out, we get the sputtering but water actually comes out.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

DUH! I remember you said that earlier. So it looks like the filter only does the kitchen cold water and is not inline with the other plumbing. From the tee for the filter and going to sink, a line goes to the rear and into a full blown jumble of piping that I've never imagined but I do see a pressure reducer and several low point drains which might need checked?
I highlighted a couple valves but I see at least three cold drains and one hot so there is likely to be more drain valves? Big yellow item is the pressure reg. but my overall feeling is that it looks like somebody wanted to use up spare fittings.!!!
That looks like a plumbers worst nightmare!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pressure reducer.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	174048   Click image for larger version

Name:	reducer.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	174049  

Old 06-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

More info ? Maybe useful or ignore if not.
Looking at the plumbers nightmare from above and forward a bit, I see The blue water line coming in from the top left.
Then there are several "suspect" items which might be involved (or something to ignore)
I. drain valve
2. pressure reducer
3. check valve
4. pressure relief valve
Thoughts are that if there is a blockage in this area, it seems like water pumped from the pump goes into the filter and then direct to the kitchen faucet cold would still be fine. But if there were something in this area which lets pressure go out, so that it doesn't build enough to go up and out the faucets, this area has a bunch of questions but that should also show up as a bunch of water going out on the ground.
Not seeing anything that makes sense but thought I would throw it in and let you look it over as you get to it.
Sorry. Just a mystery!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nightmare.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	174050  
Old 06-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Pump no pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by astringer32 View Post
This is for a 2018 Era.

Water pump continues running lightly when no faucet is on and when faucets are on, the pump speeds up but water sputters and pressure is very low. When on city water, the flow and pressure is great.

I've done most of the basic things I've read about on here. The water tank is full. The fill valve is on normal. I rinsed pump filter with hot water. The winterization valve is on normal. There is no water build up or visible leaks anywhere in piping.

The water pressure worked fine until I mistakenly left the water pump on a day or two with no water in the tank.

Any ideas at what the issue may be? Did I break the water pump by leaving it on? Would I visibly see water standing or dripping if there was an issue with hole/crack in tubing?

Thanks so much!
Ok, here is what happened to me. Same problem as you. Did everything that I was told to do even replace pump. Still same thing. I felt that something was not letting the water thru. Where the water line come out of water tank there is a little tube filter. Was told to drill it out and when I started to drill it , it just came out. Completely stopped up. Did clean it then decided not to put back in since I have a filter on the pump. Well guess what? That cured the problem. Just think outside the box!! Hope this helps you.
Scouts honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Definite question to check on as that would explain a lot of things. Since their system seems to show the line comes from the tank and pretty straight to the pump and then directly to the filter. a check of flow at the filter might be a quick test for a stopped up filter at the tank. Hope he can get it solved and reports back.
I'm sure he now has a bunch of ideas of where things might go wrong so , I though I would give him time to get down to it but your idea sure seems worthwhile.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #20
Salianron

OK, maybe my previous reply will show up eventually. Meanwhile I'll try again. You probably have an air lock from running the tank dry. You can force the air out by hooking up to city water with the pump running. Open a faucet near the pump (outdoor shower works for me). Continue until water runs steady.
Hope this simple solution works for you.
Ron of Salianron
Salianron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump