Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water pump will not shut off

2005 vectra the water pump works but will not shut off.
City water works also with no leaks. Local dealer told me i needed new water pump because the were no parts for my old pump. Installed new pump and still pump will not shut off. I've checked all one way check valves that i know of and all seem good. When pump is running there are no leaks. And no pressure drop.
2005VECTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

2005VECTRA, is you city water fill valve open?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

City water fill valve turned back to city supply and not tank fill?
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

yes city valve open to coach and not on tank fill.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This is just a guess. Your pump should not be running if you are attached to city water. Turn off the pump as you do not need it. If the city water pressure is lower than that the high pressure setting on your pump and your pump is switched on, your pump is running trying to increase coach plumbing pressure, and that effort is being absorbed into the lower pressure city water line which is why the pump can't meet it's high pressure cut off.

Try this: Detach the city line, run off your onboard water tank and see if the pump operates correctly using the onboard tank? If so, reconnect the city water and turn off your 12 v. pump.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

2005vectra, mine jusst did the same thing. I had just added water to the tank. Pump would not shut off. Turned pump switch off. Opened faucet, turned switch on and it was full of air. After filling all lines pump shut off. I think it was air in the lines.as I had run it dry. Good luck.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like either a bad pump or there is a vacuum leak on the suction side of your pump. Since you have already replaced the pump, you can check this by eliminating all fittings like a the screen bowl and the 4-way valve. Remove the screen and connect the suction hose directly to the pump. Then put the other end of it in a bucket of water and see if it still continues to run. If it does, you have a bad pump. If it shuts off, you have a vacuum leak between the pump and the FW tank.

My Shurflo SmartSense 5.5 did the same thing and when I replaced it, it was discontinued.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Your pump should only be used when you are using your on board water, thats water in your Coach's holding tank.....If your coach's tank is empty and you turn the pump on it will not shut off as there is no water to pump, just air......If I'm reading it right you are currently on city water. You do not use your pump as the water is pressurized from the outside tap.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had the exact same behavior. The pump would not shut off ... I had noticed that the pump would "spurt" once in a while ... then gradually more frequently ... until finally it would not stop ...

There were no leaks ...

The selector switch for "TANK FILL" was defective .. it had failed after 10 years ... regardless of where it was turned it was diverting water back into the tank ...

It cost me a couple hours of labor for the tech to find the problem.

Replacement of the selector switch cured the problem.

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

X2 on the selector switch. Cycle the switch several times with no pressure and make sure it is all the way to city water when hooked up and fill when filling water tank. Fixed mine after cycling several times.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

My '05 Vectra had the same issue. The check valve in the pump was bad. I knew this to be the case because with the pump off the potable water tank would fill over time.

Air, as already mentioned, will cause this same problem. Don't forget to run the inside and outside showers to purge the air, and the toilet. ALL the lines must be purged.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

When on city water supply & valve on city supply a defective valve it seems it would fill water holding tank. This is not happing. My valve will fill tank & transfer to city, all seems to be o.k.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

its is amazing what a good night sleep does. reread all post in water pump and re checked all suggestion. I believed there was a air lock in filter on in let of water pump. all is working fine. thank you all
Old 12-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005VECTRA View Post
its is amazing what a good night sleep does. reread all post in water pump and re checked all suggestion. I believed there was a air lock in filter on in let of water pump. all is working fine. thank you all
I love a great ending to a good problem!

I thought it was the selector valve too so I replaced it. NG. The tank still filled. There is a check valve in the pump that is supposed to prevent this.

Don't forget to keep an watchful eye on the basement compartment hanger bolts. They like to break .

Tags
water, water pump