Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Pump Replacement

I purchased a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL. Looks like I need to replace the water pump. The existing pump is NOT the original, no surprises! Does anyone know what the specs probably were for the original pump, ( GPM, Pressure & Amps Draw)? I would like to match the factory specs. Thanks
Gary Gilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #2

When my pump stopped working I found the wires rusted inside the pigtail connector. I clipped it off and then used a clean pigtail and my water pump started to work.

See pictures of the pump in my RV. I think it's a good all around pump. Not the most efficient, but you can always use a water flow reducer in the shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_121924.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	176936   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_121938.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	176937  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Team

Most WBGO Class As, and others, use the Shurflo 4008 water pump. But you can use any pump you wish.

The 4008 is a 3 gpm pump and is both reliable and easy to repair. Tons of places to purchase one.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Curious! The water pump on our 2000 Journey stopped pumping water on Thursday. Must have been some cosmic EMP that effects only water pumps. You weren't traveling through Texas, were you?. Ours was the original water pump as I still have the paperwork in our Manufacturers Parts folder.
According to the data sheet and the unit itself, here is the compiled information that you requested:
SHURFLO DIAPHRAGM WATER PUMP
PART NO. 2088-404-144
OPEN FLOW: 2.5 GPM
PRESSURE: 40 PSI
12v DC - 7.0 AMP
9.5 e/MIN

It would appear that most any pump will replace this OEM part. I am a little hesitant about installing a higher PSI unit into an already aging system. So, i will do my best to find a unit with specs as close to the original so I don't burden the 'ol girl's delicate belly.

https://thefinchnest.wixsite.com/rollthroughourlives
thefinchnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Parts catalog spec it to be a 2.8 GPM on the 36 foot but your pump may be different if you have a different RV???? Size does sometimes change the various parts with bigger Rv getting bigger pumps.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sadly many replace these pumps even though they are modular pumps that with a minimum of care should last just about forever. If you are using the pump then you are dry camping so you really do not want a pump with higher pressure or flow than the original. Put an Oxygentics shower head in and stay with the original pump is the best advice I can give those tempted to change to a pump with a higher flow or pressure rating.

Most often if the pump runs but does not pump water its just a dirty inlet filter or possibly the valves in the pumps head need cleaning which is a simple thing to deal with. If the pump is not running at all it can be a poor connection, bad switch or pop-a-matic breaker which again do not require the pump to be replaced.

I do a lot of dry camping and still have the original pump in my 2001 Adventurer. I have cleaned the filter a few times along with removed the head and cleaned the diaphragms and valves. The pump in mine should be among those more likely to fail since I do Super Chlorinate my fresh water tank when dry camping which is a testimony to how durable these pumps truly are.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:46 AM   #7
TowerRat

Just an FYI, I recently went through a pump problem on my 1998 Minnie Winnie with the Shurflow 4008, I eventually found my GROUND wire was NOT connected to the frame. Hooked a new ground to the frame and, Viola! Now I have a new Flojet running the system, and still have my 22 year old Shurflo as a spare. Probably a rare problem, but testing it would have saved me 2 weeks of headaches. (I HAD tested the 12v, but NOT the ground)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
Former Winnebago Owner

Gary,
I looked back at the archived info I have for the 2002 Horizon 32TD that I once owned. The water pump part # is 098607-01-000. It is listed as 2.8 gpm.

Hope this helps,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

my pump on my 2001 failed a couple of years ago, it was replaced with one with more gpm and pressure without incident. it is easy to test before replacing. My 2001 was installed right next to the elec. transfer switch so a pin hole leak shorted it out and cost me another $350. I made a small cover for the new one so any leaks will go straight down
PeteBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, water, water pump