Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Pump Question

Hi Folks, I’m a newbie.

I just finished some upgrades to a the gently used Sunstar 26HE that I just purchased last month and I am now ready for my first road trip this coming weekend.

I filled the fresh water tank and purged all the air from the lines and all is good with the plumbing.

However, I notice that the water pump runs continuously whether or not you are running water. Is this normal? This is my first RV so I am not familiar with the water pump function. I would have thought it would have a pressure switch so that it would start and stop depending on use.

Any feedback appreciated.

PS, if it does have a pressure switch where is it located?

Thanks,

Frederick
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Pump should pressurize the system and then turn off. Opening a faucet drops the pressure and the pump kicks back on and runs until the system's pressure stabilizes again (the pressure switch is built into the pump). Most likely problem is that your city fill valve is turned to "tank fill" position (that allows the pump to draw water from the tank, pump it into the system, and then dump it back into the tank; an endless circle). Otherwise, you have a leak somewhere.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks 4x4Van,

If I understand you correctly the mistake I made was after filling my tank I should have turned the valve back to normal. I did not. I left it on tank fill. I will switch it to normal and see if the pump pressures up and shuts off.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

4x4Van,

I turned the valve back to normal. The pump now pressures up and shuts off like it should.

Thanks for the help. I find this forum amazing in the amount of knowledge that is available. It’s these little things that can drive you nuts.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have done this so many times. Glad you were able to figure it out. Maybe someone can give us an idea for our water pump. It wants to cycle quite frequently. All faucets closed, outside shower is not on, no leaks showing under the coach. We are baffled. We have to turn the pump off when not using water or it will drive us nuts. Any ideas?
BransGram08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If the check valve on the outlet side of the water pump is leaking by it would let the pressure bleed of and the the pump will cycle on again. The valve for the water fill could be slowly leaking by and letting the pump cycle. You did not say how old the pump is.
Matterbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterbery View Post
If the check valve on the outlet side of the water pump is leaking by it would let the pressure bleed of and the the pump will cycle on again. The valve for the water fill could be slowly leaking by and letting the pump cycle. You did not say how old the pump is.
The pump is about three years old. We don't have access to the water heater unfortunately, without pulling our dresser out.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Not the check valve on the water heater but there is a check valve in the water pump itself
Matterbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterbery View Post
Not the check valve on the water heater but there is a check valve in the water pump itself
Ah, gotcha! I will have Larry check this out. Thank you!

Tags
water, water pump