Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water pump problem

I own a 2016 Meridian Itasca 40R and having an unusual problem when I use my water pump. When the water pump is on and Im pulling water from my fresh water tank the water starts pouring out of the fresh water fill port (where I connect the hose). I changed the small valve the controls tank fill or normal setting and that didn't help. Any suggestions why this is happening.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

There is a small "check valve" located in the connection for the city water fill. Where you connect the hose. Should look like a small pin in the center. Sounds like the valve is stuck open and allowing water to flow outward. Try pressing and releasing the pin several times and see if that helps.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom. I love when someone has a solution and shares it. If I cant get the check valve to correct, should I change the City Water Connection
Old 09-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

check all of your valves in the fresh water lines. If any of them are in the wrong position it could back up thru your fill line.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynforpar View Post
Thanks Tom. I love when someone has a solution and shares it. If I cant get the check valve to correct, should I change the City Water Connection
If you can clear it so that it continues to work properly I think you would be OK. Your unit is new enough it should be alright for some time to come. Obviously if it doesn't clear, then you might have to start considering replacement.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
WLDGFMS

Kazoo Tom, you seem to know your water pump issues. Do you have any thoughts about this WP issue ?One day the water pressure on my Winnebago Itaska went down to nothing. I checked all the fittings and there was no leaks that I could find so I replaced the pump. Pressure increased slightly but is not at all like it was prior to the problem showing up. The pump does not shut off when there's no demand for water so that indicates the back pressure is not there to shut down the pump, it continues to run. Any ideas? WLDGFMS
WLDGFMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

All RV have slightly different water setups so knowing which you have may help. When you changed the pump, there are details which may be important as well. Like the filter and housing at the pump. Were those changed so that a crack in it would not be likely to continue on the new?
I most often find a low pressure from the pump can be caused by a leak which lets the pump suck air of various amounts, so looking for it actually getting a fully water filled intake can be a clue. If you get air in the filter housing, look for air leaks between it and the tank. Leaving the filter housing pointed up is better than down on this as a way to get it to drain when winterized and also to show air collecting. Also leaving the fill tank/ normal valve in the fill position can kill the flow from the pump.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
WLDGFMS

The valve open sounds like something to check. I do have the filter (if you want to call it that, very small) in the upright position. I'll let you know what happens so others can read and learn.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
WLDGFMS

Thank you for your service.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Always check the simple things first. I suppose that you already made sure the check valve at the city water intake is working (as indicated above). Mine also has a valve to switch from city water to city fill (or tank fill). Make sure that valve is not set to tank fill or you will simply be drawing water from you fresh water tank and pumping it back into the tank. Happened to me one time. Same type of problem, no water pressure at any faucet and the pump ran continuously like yours.

You may also have a small filter between the pump and fresh water tank. Check to see if the filter may be clogged.

Hope it turns out to be something as simple as this.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
WLDGFMS

Hey guys, I had an Airstream and used their Owners Blog. They were great and I got answers hardly before I hit the POST button. Those guys were maniacs about their silver bullets.

This experience with the Winnie Blog has been great. Thank you for the info and the super fast replies.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
WLDGFMS

OK guys, I concede you are the experts. Simply turning the valve to city water increased the pump pressure to the old level and it works great. Thank you.

However! The pump works fine but still will not shut off and while running creates a whining noise in the kitchen faucet (or seems to be emanating from there.) Any further input?
Old 08-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Progress often comes in fits and starts but does sound like you are getting there!
The pump has a pressure sensing gizmo at some point and we could say it was not working right but then if there is a leak or something letting the pressure out, it can't shut off. So some questions of the faucet making noise as a faucet letting air or water out might make a whining noise?? Makes this noise while no city water pressure and pump turned on? While getting water from the tank or just blowing air out of the lines? Having city water pressure and pump on can do funny things, so suggest only one at a time. Make sure to run enough water to clear any air in the lines. If only one faucet, it may be worthwhile to check aerator is clear on that faucet. Just because they do get stopped up at times. It should just unscrew ifit has one.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #14
WLDGFMS

Noise occurs as the pump is running but no water is called for off the faucet.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Would the whining noise be a vibration like from the pump running and transmitting that vibration to the faucet or does it seem more like maybe a high whistle like air blowing through something?
I've had several runs with the pump not stopping but it has always been a problem with me leaving something open which should be closed, so that the pressure could not build up, but it also turned out I got a puddle somewhere which clued me in on what was open.
With so many options to mess it up, I just roll with calling it brainfreeze! The only ones not making mistakes are the ones who are not doing anything!
But if there is not something like that, there is some chance it is a pressure sensing gizmo not working right, so what we need is info on what year, make and model of RV you have. There is a ton of good info on some years and not so much on others but worth a check if we need to look more. I suspect it is right on the pump body, but never looked for one!
Maybe some good info here:
https://rvnstyle.com/why-your-rv-wat...how-to-fix-it/

Tags
water, water pump