Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #1
2005 Sightseer 30B

Water Pump Location??

My water pump is no longer pumping. It runs, but no water comes out of any faucet. Fresh water tank is FULL. Checking my owner's manual, it says to clean the filter - and goes into detail about how to do so. What it doesn't say is WHERE THE FLIPPIN' PUMP IS LOCATED!!!! Sorry. This is MOST aggravating. I have heard people say to check the plumbing diagrams. That's is most helpful. IF you know how to read a diagram, which I don't. I found all sorts of YouTube videos talking about how easy it is to replace the bad water pump. Uh huh. None of those videos are of 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 30B vehicles, and the locations they show don't even exist on my 'Pooh. I can't afford a lot of shop work, and would really like to handle this myself. I'm not a total idiot, I just don't have a lot of RV (or diagram) experience. HELP???
Old 06-04-2022, 11:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi LadyFaire,
I just took a look at your on-line owner's manual, and I cannot find wherein the water pump location is described for your 2005 Sightseer 30B. Still, I would think that, since the pump does "run," you should be able to track down its location by sound. I saw in your manual that some panels do not have actual hinges and handles, but rather, they pull-off to facilitate access. Perhaps your pump is behind one of these secret access panels. In any case, just remember that if you are following the music of your water pump, and you get stuck behind a hidden panel, then by all means put the candle back (ha-ha.)
Good luck, Eagle5
Old 06-05-2022, 12:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Looking at the Plumbing Diagram for your coach it looks like the pump is forward of the water tank under the bed. Image below is from page 4:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sightseer pump.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	183091  

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I take it this just happened, up until now when you turned the pump on you got water. The reason I ask is when I fill my fresh water tank I have to turn a value from normal to fill. If I do not turn the value back to normal after I fill the tank I will get no water. Just a thought!

You have been given great advice so far as to turn pump on and try and track down by the noise it makes. Cleaning the filter is somewhat easy, just unscrew the clear plastic cap take out wire mesh clean and replace.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:56 AM   #5
2005 Sightseer 30B

Eagle5 I love a sense of humour!! Thank you for the giggle!
Old 06-05-2022, 04:59 AM   #6
2005 Sightseer 30B

be happy Correct - in fact, I had water running into the kitchen sink at the time. The water pressure diminished until it just - stopped. A period of approximately 1 minute. I was a trifle confused, since I had recently been to the dump site, emptied holding tanks (black and grey) and returned home. Once home, I topped off the fresh water tank. I knew it wasn't empty.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:02 AM   #7
2005 Sightseer 30B

cbeierl I'm not good with diagrams - is that the underside of the COACH, or the inside/underside of the bed?
Old 06-05-2022, 06:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hi LadyFaire. My prior coach was a 2008 Sunova 35j, the Sightseer and Sunova lines were siblings, same builds/floor plans but with different color schemes and trims. (Kinda like Chevy and GMC models). The 30B and 35J were diffident floor plans but hopefully this helps.

On my Sunova, the water pump was located under the bed. If you moved the mattress out of the way there was a hole in the platform with a piece of wood filling the hole. If you removed the wood the pump was down inside on the floor. The fresh water tank was in there as well. You’ll want a flashlight or ideally a headlamp when looking in there, it’s pretty dark but the pump was right near the hole.

My father in law used to have a 30B, I’ll email him right now to see where his water pump was.

Hope that helps!
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just spoke with my father in law (didn’t think I’d get him this fast), it’s under the bed as cbeierl Indicated. Try moving the mattress off the bed, the hole should be down near the bottom of bed. The wood cover will have a small hole drilled in it to allow you to lift it lit with a finger.

Good luck, let us know where you land.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

But some questions may help as there can be other reasons for water to stop flowing and some are super easy to check.
Does the pump seemto run and never shut off as it gets pressure built up?
This would not be due to a stopped filter but often shows the pump is either pulling in air or there is a spot where the aitr or water is getting out.
So giving as much info as practical on how and why it is not giving water can help. Small things like which faucets, do ALL faucets stop, did you just fill so that the vavle for fill/normal may not be right, canc be clues.

Also be aware that we use RV different and it makes the minerals in the water collect and stop up the strainers/aerators at each faucet stopmore often.
When water stops,don't overlook checking the aeratorsat each faucet as they actually can ALL get stopped up!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:42 AM   #11
2005 Sightseer 30B

OK, thanks to all of you helpful people (TRULY!), I have found the water pump. It IS under the bed, it is just hidden. There is an auxiliary heating unit (I think it is the "rear heat" that is controlled from the dash) that is right on TOP of the water pump. I can SEE it, but unless I completely remove the heating unit, I cannot get TO it. I'm afraid it is a 'yard job' as the Navy puts it.

Name:	PXL_20220605_114138694.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	183092

Name:	PXL_20220605_114229290.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	183093

Name:	PXL_20220605_114222740.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	183094

Name:	PXL_20220605_114206104.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	183095
Old 06-05-2022, 07:57 AM   #12
2005 Sightseer 30B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
But some questions may help as there can be other reasons for water to stop flowing and some are super easy to check.
Does the pump seemto run and never shut off as it gets pressure built up?
This would not be due to a stopped filter but often shows the pump is either pulling in air or there is a spot where the aitr or water is getting out.
So giving as much info as practical on how and why it is not giving water can help. Small things like which faucets, do ALL faucets stop, did you just fill so that the vavle for fill/normal may not be right, canc be clues.

Also be aware that we use RV different and it makes the minerals in the water collect and stop up the strainers/aerators at each faucet stopmore often.
When water stops,don't overlook checking the aeratorsat each faucet as they actually can ALL get stopped up!

Everyone keeps referencing a switch - fill/normal. I don't think I have that. I've never left the water pump running, so I honestly don't know if it shuts off once pressure is reached. I was under the impression (from the travel trailer we had) that you should only use the pump when you were wanting water. I've tried all of the faucets (along with shower and toilet) and nothing is giving water. At the time the water stopped flowing, I was finishing up after washing dishes. I was cleaning out the sink and the water pressure dropped to only a thin stream of water coming out, and then stopped. I have not yet tried with 'city water', but will after I get the chickens taken care of this morning [grin],

Name:	PXL_20220605_135047109.MP.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	183096
Old 06-05-2022, 08:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
OK, thanks to all of you helpful people (TRULY!), I have found the water pump. It IS under the bed, it is just hidden. There is an auxiliary heating unit (I think it is the "rear heat" that is controlled from the dash) that is right on TOP of the water pump. I can SEE it, but unless I completely remove the heating unit, I cannot get TO it. I'm afraid it is a 'yard job' as the Navy puts it.
1. Before doing anything else, follow Morich's advice and remove one of your aerators. There was a recent post where someone wasn't getting any water from his bathroom sink and it was a clogged aerator.

2. You might be able to access the filter without disturbing the aux heater. That could be indicative of a clogged filter. It's designed to be taken apart and cleaned:

3. I can't be sure, but I suspect if you remove the screws holding down the plywood on which the aux heater is mounted, there will be enough play in the venting and hoses that it can be tipped up enough to get access to the pump. You may need to unscrew a couple of the clamps holding the hoses to the deck.

If there's not enough play in the vent tubes, they'll be easy to disconnect.

The worst case would be to disconnect the all the hoses, vent tubes etc. from the heater box, not a difficult job but, being a 2005, the hoses may be hard to remove from the fittings. On the other hand, it looks like there's enough play to reinstall them after either cutting them off as close as possible to the fittings or splitting them where they go over the fittings with a razor knife. Just remember to clearly label everything as to where it goes. The two hoses are water hoses that circulate water through a heat exchanger (like a radiator) inside the metal box, while the two vent tubes circulate air around the heat exchanger. If you have to disconnect the hoses, be prepared to deal with some water leakage and make sure the hose clamps are good and tight when you reinstall it.

I know this sounds like a big job but it's really not, just go step by step. An hours work improving access will save you more than that and a few bruised knuckles from trying to work in a small space.

Plus, it's going to cost you $125 - $150/hr for a professional to do this and you won't learn anything.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:34 AM   #14
2005 Sightseer 30B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I can't be sure, but I suspect if you remove the screws holding down the plywood on which the aux heater is mounted, there will be enough play in the venting and hoses that it can be tipped up enough to get access to the pump. You may need to unscrew a couple of the clamps holding the hoses to the deck.

If there's not enough play in the vent tubes, they'll be easy to disconnect.

The worst case would be to disconnect the all the hoses, vent tubes etc. from the heater box, not a difficult job. Just remember to clearly label everything as to where it goes. The two hoses are water hoses that circulate water through a heat exchanger (like a radiator) inside the metal box, while the two vent tubes circulate air around the heat exchanger. If you have to disconnect the hoses, be prepared to deal with some water leakage and make sure the hose clamps are good and tight when you re-install it.

You know, I can find NO reference (in any of the books on our coach) to that aux heater. Not in the Winnebago paperwork, not in the Workhorse paperwork. Isn't it amazing what they do NOT tell us?
Old 06-05-2022, 08:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I edited my post #13 to add some more info since your post. I looked at the parts catalog and it appears that it refers to this as the "rear heater" on pg 151. It lists parts but there's no diagram like there is for the "furnace" on the previous pages. In any case, you don't need to be concerned about what's in the box, just the external connections.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Everyone keeps referencing a switch - fill/normal. I don't think I have that. I've never left the water pump running, so I honestly don't know if it shuts off once pressure is reached. I was under the impression (from the travel trailer we had) that you should only use the pump when you were wanting water. I've tried all of the faucets (along with shower and toilet) and nothing is giving water. At the time the water stopped flowing, I was finishing up after washing dishes. I was cleaning out the sink and the water pressure dropped to only a thin stream of water coming out, and then stopped. I have not yet tried with 'city water', but will after I get the chickens taken care of this morning [grin],

Attachment 183096

But your picture may show the problem and the solution, as you do have the fill/normal valve and it does look like it is in the wrong position to use the pump! If I am correct on my guess, you have different labels on the valve as I see city fill and tank fill but I'm guessing that should be in the other positon for use?

Try switching that valve to city fill (seems a really odd way to label it???) to see if that gets water flowing when using the pump.

My use of the pump has been to turn it on when we are not hooked to water supply and much of the time we leave it on as it has a pressure switch which lets the pump run until it has built pressure to the setting on the pump and then shuts off and stays off until the pressure drops below a set point. That pressure drop can vary as there are often points where the pressure can leak out and restart the pump.

One of those point is at the city water connection as there is a small spring, pressing a small plastic disk against the opening. That pressure of the spring pressing out makes a poor man's check valve and when there is pressure from outside from the incoming water,the spring lets water come in. But if there is no city water pressure, the pressure from the pum is meant to press the disk closed but it also is a weak spring and some air leaks out and that tells the pump to restart.

Some time, disconnect the hose and look into the connection to see if that disk is laying flat like it is closed?
But I think changing the valve at right side may fix things??

EDIT:
From the manual?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	city fill copy.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	183099  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #17
Site Team

The "Coach Heat" runs off of the engine coolant and there is a switch on your dashboard to turn it on.

This is so you can heat the rear of the coach while driving and not run the propane heater. It's like the dash heat but for the rear of the coach. We've only used it once or twice but it works very good.

You probably also have this same kind of system to your Water Heater. Coolant from the engine is run to the water heater and it encircles and heats the tank while you drive. This way you arrive at your campground with hot water in the tank. This feature is called Motoraid and isn't in all coaches but since you have the Coach Heat I'm pretty sure those two go hand in hand - are plumbed together.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Everyone keeps referencing a switch - fill/normal. I don't think I have that.

Sure you do and I can see it in your photo. Far upper right hand side - City Fill / Tank Fill. It appears in your photo to be set incorrectly. That switch is pointing to Tank Fill - you only put it there when you are connected to an outside faucet and you want to fill your fresh water tank. For normal use, that handle on the switch (valve) should be pointing at the words "City Fill."

I gotta admit though - City Fill is poor terminology for that switch. Mine says "Normal" and "Tank Fill."

Once you set that handle to "City Fill" you will be connecting your campsite water hose (city water) to your plumbing and you should leave your water pump off when connected to city water. Use the water pump only when you don't have a city water connection. Only use that water tank fill switch position when you want to fill the fresh water tank via a city water connection.

Does that make sense to you?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220605_135047109.MP.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	656.1 KB
ID:	183097  
Old 06-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Attachment 183096
Sure you do and I can see it in your photo. Far upper right hand side - City Fill / Tank Fill. It appears in your photo to be set incorrectly. That switch is pointing to Tank Fill - you only put it there when you are connected to an outside faucet and you want to fill your fresh water tank. For normal use, that handle on the switch (valve) should be pointing at the words "City Fill."

I gotta admit though - City Fill is poor terminology for that switch. Mine says "Normal" and "Tank Fill."
Creativepart is right, see page 63 of your operator manual. You also might want to make your own label so it's clear.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...5Sightseer.pdf

If this is your problem, it's an easy fix.

Personally I almost always use the gravity fill inlet to fill my freshwater tank so I rarely have to fiddle with this valve, although it can be a convenience if connected to city water. I like the gravity fill since it's easy to tell when the tank is full.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:27 AM   #20
Site Team

BobC has that correct. Here's the notice on page 63 of the PDF he linked to. Read the NOTE and notice in the photo how that valve is set pointing to City Fill:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 10.25.28 AM.png
Views:	73
Size:	599.4 KB
ID:	183100  

Tags
cat, water, water pump