Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Pump appears dead

Wife and I left for our first boon dock trip today. I filled the fresh water tank. Got to our location, started the generator, leveled the RV, put the slides out and powered everything up. The water pump power light comes on, but we don’t hear the pump running or have any water at the taps. I didn’t see any circuit breakers or fuses marked for the water pump in the inverter panel. Anyone know if there are more circuit breakers elsewhere in the RV, or where the water pump is actually located to check? Any help would be appreciated...
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Mine has an in-line fuse near the water pump, under the kitchen sink. Requires the removal of the bottom panel of the cabinet to access.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Surflow has an inline fuse within 12" of the pump. If you have more then one water pump switch, make sure both are fully toggled as a partially toggled switch, hung up mid-throw, can cause your symptoms. Make sure you can see water inside the clear plastic viewer on the pump. Maybe unplug and plug the power to the motor.

Note that the Surflow pumps are really very reliable and you should assume something other than the pump while working on things. Like a bad wire connection near the pump.

Also, be sure that the light that's 'ON' is for the pump and not the water heater.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Water Pump appears dead

Appreciate the input. I got underneath the sink and removed two access panels. The back panel only accessed the external radio and speakers, so I put that access panel back. I removed the bottom panel and it only had a zillions wires to the inverter and several large air duct accordion hoses. No water pump to be found anywhere near the sink. This is a 2010 Aspect 28B. Any other possibilities for the water pump location? Also, there’s what appears to be a GFCI circuit breaker panel on the front side of the kitchen sink. There’s no outlets there. I wonder if that could have anything to do with the water pump not working. I don’t see a test or reconnect button on it though...

JD
Old 08-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think the water pumps are typically pretty close to the water tanks, if that helps.

It shouldn't be GFCI related as that is 120 volt.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Lots of really good info on the parts catalog here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
For just a quick look, try clicking this picture on yur computer for a better view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 aspect pump.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	174512  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #7

The pump will be in the same compartment where you fill your water tank. It's probably located behind a metal cover, but you should be able to follow your fill hose to the pump. ...Can you look under the metal cover/face plate to see your water pump?

If you don't hear the pump you might have a rusty pigtail connector. It could be as simple as that. ...Just strip the wire and reattach.

Hopefully, you have a 12V circuit tester/light or nvolt meter. It sound like you have power, but the pump will not turn on. Check the power at the pump.

If you hear the pump but you have no pressure, check any by-pass valve you may have for your model RV.

Do you hot water? (Touch the tank.)

...If you pump does not work you can still create water pressure if you can hook up to a water line.

Good luck fixing your problem before dark!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Water Pump appears dead

Okay, after another look at the manual this morning, it appears I left the fill valve in the Fill Water Tank position instead of putting it back into the Normal position after filling the tank. I tried using the water pump this morning and if I turn off the generator, I can hear the water pump running, but it’s still not working. Like the manual says, I opened all the faucets to create a demand. I hear gurgling and get a few drips, but nothing more. I’m wondering if I burnt out the water pump running it dry for so long last night.

I also think I have DC battery issues. The only last 30 minutes or so, then the Levels indicator is near the bottom. I start the chassis engine and it charges them quickly, they just don’t last...

Darn newbie issues...

JD
Old 08-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Water Pump appears dead

Okay, maybe another reason the water pump isn’t working. It appears the previous owner took the RV to the shop to winterize it last year. There’s a good possibility some of the many drain valves are open. The manual states there are at least three, two of which are under the wardrobe. You need to remove the drawers to access them. My wife and I have looked at, poked and proded these drawers for at least an hour, and can’t figure out how to remove them to access the drain lines. Anyone have experience with removing these drawers? (It’s almost like a puzzle)...
Old 08-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

If a drain valve is open, there will be a puddle of water under the RV because they always drain underneath. Do you have a puddle of water under the RV?

Surflo pumps are designed to dry pump continuously so running all night without water usually wouldn't hurt it. I know I've done that to mine a few times...accidentally letting it run for hours or even overnight...because I can't hear well and takes a while for me to notice.

But in your case you need to find it and check out what's happening nearby. Something on your water panel is probably just in the wrong position. In my RV, if I fill the tank and shut off the shore water, and forget to put the valve back in the normal position, than later if I call for water, that sets up a loop and the pump will start and never stop as it's pushing water from the tank back into the tank. Sounds like that's what was happening to you.

Now that you've got that fixed, go around to every water valve and make sure that they are OFF. Especially the shower inside the house, and the shower outside. If the main valves aren't properly shut off, the pump can't build up pressure so it'll just gurgle. I'd check the outside shower right off the bat because it's so close to the pump.

Your batteries should be getting a charge from shore power when you're plugged in. Are you plugged into shore power? If yes, then check and service your house batteries...those two 6 volt batts. Clean them up, add distilled water. Once that's done, use a DVM (Digital volt meter - under $10 at most big box stores), and measure the voltage across both of them...it should be 13 volts or more! And that's both on shore power, on generator, and if the engine is running. If less than 13 volts, then check your converter CBs and/or your alternator if the engine is running.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Removing drawers is fun every time I do it as it seems to be a trick as one latch goes up while the opposite side goes down. If you have the same type, look in the metal track on each side for a small plastic "funny" item. If there, look carefully for what might almost be described as a "splinter" of plastic which can be pushed up on one drawer side while the other side needs pushed down to release and let the drawer come out. Be aware that they break easy if the drawer slams out on a corner, etc. Putting back is easy as they just slip back into place but do it with some care to avoid tearing up the little plastic!
If you can access the parts catalog I referred to above, it will show a drawing of all the parts including the drains. Another way to spot a drain is to connect to water and then spot it coming out and often the valve is immediately above.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the tip Richard. I evidently have the same type and was able to remove the drawer. I was able to close the two drain pipes behind them. I watched a YouTube video late last night that showed two drain valves at the pump itself in his RV, so all I need to do now is find my actual pump to start at the source. I can hear it toward the driver’s side back of the RV, at or near the water center. I just need to look around to figure out how to access it...
Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Yes, that is the pump shown at the top in the drawing I posted. There is also a filter on the left side which can get stopped up and need checking. You will need to find the access if you plan to do the winterize as that is also where the suction tube for adding antifreeze is located. The valve is shown at the corner of the mounting board with the suction tube going up and shown as laying on top of the pump.
Since this is a drawing of the plumbing without showing the walls, etc. I would expect the pump to be in a different compartment than the inlet and somewhat above and forward.
I also noticed mention of a group of GFCI which I think is actually the load center or breakers and fuses for much of the RV, so something you do need to know about as it is where the power first goes to a main breaker which then feeds several other breakers or fuses in that panel. I also marked where the inverter is located as an item we often have to find. These drawings are shown with most of the wood, etc out of the picture to make it less full , so we have to kind of look for things we might know like the doors and windows, so I marked several things you can see for locating the other things that are behind cabinets and such.
Click on the picture to bring it up larger and clear to read?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	loadcenter copy.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	174523  
Old 08-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

In the water pump not running question, I think I found which fuse feeds it and it may need checked if you get to that point. When opening the load center, there looked like two sections with the right hand section having a bunch of auto type pullout fuses?
This fuse seems to power the monitor panel and pump ,so we might guess that if the monitor is working the pump fuse is also okay but a look might be worthwhile to check as drawings are sometimes not the correct when we look close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pump fuse.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	174524  
Old 08-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

So, I've looked all over under the RV. Could they have placed the water pump under the bed? It's in a slide out so I wouldn't think so, but stranger things have happened. I can't believe that the manual talks about cleaning the pump bowl and strainer and even includes a close-up photo of the trainer, but says nothing about where it's located or how to reach it...
Old 08-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Yes, absolutely could have put it under the bed. My brothers RV has it under the bed. Along with the 120 volt electrical panel which I didn't think was very smart.

Anyway, yes.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Okay, a status report. Success - Finally! Based on Jim HiTek's recommendations, my wife and I looked under the bed this morning The previous owner bought a hefty TemperPedic mattress that's really comfortable, but it's soooo heavy. Anyway, I heaved it up and she searched for the water pump. We nearly missed it because it's hidden under the slide mechanism. I was ready to set the bed down when I caught a glance at several water hoses underneath the mechanism. She looked closer and found it. I had her follow all the hoses, and sure enough the drain pipe going to the pump was open. We closed it and fired up the pump. It was somewhat better. Instead of gurgling, we actually seen a few drips of water. I had my wife go outside and look for water under the RV to see if we had other drains open. She said no, but on her way back in, noticed water dripping out the side of the RV. I went out, removed the hot water heater panel, and found the heater drain open. We closed it and got a little more water, but nothing like what I expected. Next, I told the wife to check our levels, and sure enough, our fresh water tank was empty, evidently from the drain valves being open the last two days. So we filled the tank again. I was somewhat shocked at how long it takes to prime the entire plumbing system (each faucet and then the hot water tank and faucets), but we definitely have a working water system abroad our RV now. I truly appreciate all the input and recommendations, particularly on how to remove all the various access panels, drawers, and where to look for the dang water pump! Oh, and the water heater works too! Good stuff! We're going boon docking again this weekend! :-)

Tags
water, water pump