Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We were trying to pull the antifreeze in this weekend using the draw tube and the water pump would not pull it in. We had the water heater on bypass, the other switch by the water pump on "divert" instead of normal and opened a faucet and it wouldn't draw up the antifreeze. We added air to the small pressure tank which was supposed to be at 20 psi, but that didn't help. We are getting a new pump sent, but any suggestions if that doesn't work? This is a used motorhome that we just bought and this is our first winterization experience.
farmer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We were trying to pull the antifreeze in this weekend using the draw tube and the water pump would not pull it in. We had the water heater on bypass, the other switch by the water pump on "divert" instead of normal and opened a faucet and it wouldn't draw up the antifreeze. We added air to the small pressure tank which was supposed to be at 20 psi, but that didn't help. We are getting a new pump sent, but any suggestions if that doesn't work? This is a used motorhome that we just bought and this is our first winterization experience.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

farmer63m
Have you checked to see that all drain valves are closed on your tank and water lines? Just a thought..
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

would one of these lines being open not allow the pump to work?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If it's like mine, there is a cap on the draw tube to prevent dirt getting in. See if there could be a cap blocking the draw tube.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Two ideas:
First, what Donavon said. Make sure the cap is off the draw tube ( I forget that almost every time).
Secondly, on our Meridian, there is a "low point" drain next to the pump. When our pump won't draw anti freeze from the bottle, I open the valve to that drain for a few seconds and that solves the problem. I think air is being trapped in the line at the pump, and opening that drain releases it.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Never could get my 99 Adventurer 34V to pull anti freeze either. Course dealer could not show me a "by-pass" for the water heater nor a low point drain. Location of the low point drain in the owner's manual does not really exist on my Adventurer. Call to Winnebago got the same response as written in the manual.
Not the same MH, but my experience.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I think I may have the answer you are looking for. I had this problem last year. What I had to do was prime my water pump with anti-freeze. Turn on your water pump and use a small enough funnel to fit inside you prime tube and fill it with anti-freeze it should start sucking in the anti-freeze then remove the funnel put the anti-freeze line in the anti-freeze bottle and it should start sucking it though the line what I think might be happening is you have an air pocket in your water pump hope this helps you out. Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

From time to time my pump loses it's prime if I suck a jug empty and air is sucked into the pump. I am always able to purge the air by opening a drain valve next to the pump and relieve any back pressure.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Don your wright I forgot to ad that in the post Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I think it is an airpocket also. I usually just raise the jug as high as I can. The less it has to raise the liquid the easier it is.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

On our coach the selector valve in the water compartment has to be turned to "City Water Fill" to get antifreeze into the system. If the valve is in the "Water Tank" position very little antifreeze will be drawn into the system, and what does go in will go straight to the fresh water tank.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On our coach the selector valve in the water compartment has to be turned to "City Water Fill" to get antifreeze into the system. If the valve is in the "Water Tank" position very little antifreeze will be drawn into the system, and what does go in will go straight to the fresh water tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Hikerdogs has got the problem figured out for you. I have found this to be the biggest problem when I couldn't get my pump to work
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

No luck!! We replaced the water pump and tried to prime the pump by filling the tube with a funnel. We actually used two gallons of antifreeze trying to get it primed and it still would not draw out of the jug. We must have something else wrong. The water switch is set to City Water Fill, all the drains are closed. When we have the pump running and it is turned to "normal operation" you can hear gurgling at the faucet, when we turn it to "divert" to draw out of the tube, the gurgling stops and nothing. I think we are going to do the air/blow out method. The antifreeze method sounded so easy with the divert tube, but it will not work and we live too far from a dealer to just run the motorhome in for help.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:12 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

You can also use the OLD drill pump method.. After you blow out the water using the city fill hookup. Hookup a hose to a drill pump and pump the antifreeze into the coach.
Make sure the HW heater is on by-pass or you'll fill it up with antifreeze. When you drain the HW heater there is still water in the bottom I use a clear plastic hose and drain the rest about a quart or two out of the bottom.
I used to use the drill pump method on our old Brave... worked fine
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Farmer , Are you sure you have taken the screw on cap off the end of the hose as others have said. Many forget to do that,I have done it myself. I cannot think of anything else. Has to be something simple. Keep after it.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Oh yeah, we took the cap off the end of the tube to force the two gallon of antifreeze into the lines, but it went who knows where?! Nothing came out of a faucet.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Have you taken the drain plug out of your water heater to see if thats where your antifreeze ended up. I,m sure you have. We,ll get to the bottom of this yet.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

We didn't check the water heater last night to see if the antifreeze went there. It is on bypass so I don't know how it would get in there.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Location: Columbia SC on our way to Sweet Home Oregon ETA 25 Sept 08
I recall another stream a couple months ago about a water pump problem where many were having problems with this anti-freeze winterization system on our rigs. In the recent MH magazine many are just putting the antifreeze in the drains after they blow out the water and completely drain the water heater. Guess it depends on where you live in these fine States of ours. Also, I just replaced my 04 water pump with Camping World Extreme Series Smart Sensor 4.0 Water pump for 150 plus labor. You should see the water pressure I'm getting. Now I'm going to have to install the toggle switch thing on the shower head so I don't waste water. Wanted to do this anyway because we had it on our old Forest River Class C and used it always. We replaced the original because the pump just wasn't working; it broke. Keep us posted on your success with this. Are you getting water out of your fresh water tank with the pump on? Never heard that part of story on this string.