Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Water Pressure problem...

I have a 2006 Meridian 36G. I have noticed that if I don't use a pressure regulator on the hose, that the toilet will sometimes fill up with water while not even being used. Luckily, I've caught it before it overflowed. I also notice that even with a regulator, sometimes it starts to fill up. Is this a problem with my water entry connection or is it something on the toilet that needs replacing? The toilet is a Thetford with the Porcelain bowl.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I had a similar issue with my Winnebago. Just a coincidence as I don't think it's a Winn problem. Mine was in the foot pedal. I took it apart and lubed something in there that was sticking open and causing it to keep letting water in. Sorry I can't remember the exact part I lubed.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Just to be safe I always use a regulator (Watts form Lowes or HD) but I too would guess your problem is in the toilet valve.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Check the packaging on the regulator. The one I bought and didn't check for several months (without using) said it was not for older RV's.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hey Ramzfan
Just wondering, has this happened just recently? Has anything been changed to possibly cause this condition to appear? Or, did it just start happening? I'd have to agree with the other answers here in stating that it sure sounds like you've got a leaking toilet flush valve. Calcium deposits, a piece gasket/seal, dislodged seal, broken sealing surface (non rubber, possibly a plastic or metal sealing surface ), etc. Any one of them could be the culprit.

And, most RV systems can withstand at least a bit of somewhat higher water pressure than originally designed for. That doesn't mean you can pump 150 psi into the system and not experience parts flying into lunar orbit, but, anywhere from a 5 psi increase to say, a 15 psi increase from the "Norm" shouldn't have too much detrimental effect. I'm presently running our adjustable water pressure inlet regulator at 55 psi so the darn shower puts out some water for our showers. I'm not seeing any residual effects of the higher adjustment, yet!

And, since you don't mention any other "forced" leaks in any faucets etc., it sure seems to point at the flush valve on the toilet. I don't remember ever having one apart so, can't be of too much help in telling you what exactly to look for. Good luck, please post on what you find so others may learn. Thanks
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks you guys for all of your solutions...I am going to read up on the workings of my toilet and see how to replace the flush valve. I originally thought it was in the water inlet but now after re-thinking it, with all your help, I think I know where to look. At the time, we're down in the Carolinas (just finished the Camp Freightliner class) but I'll look at it seriously when I get back home.
Steve
Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The Thetford valve is not rebuildable. It is held on by 2 screws and costs around $40-50. Not hard to change if you can access it. I had to remove 4 bolts and the toilet bowl to easier get to the valve and hose connections.

You might try lubing it first, remove the foot pedal (unscrew the plastic cover on it) and try greasing the domed pushrod the foot pedal depresses when flushed.

Another alternative if the supply line to the toilet is accessible, you could put a ball valve in the line and shut water off when pressure is high enough to fill the bowl.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water