Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water pressure differences??

when we were out recently I noticed something odd about the water pressure. First off its a new water pump. The water at the galley sink when on full, the pump runs steadily. When either the bathroom or the shower water is used no matter how much the faucet is opened the water pump cycles on/off? Any ideas why??
Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My first thought is there is a restriction in the connection to the bathroom faucets permitting pressure to increase.
However: my experience with Surflo is that they are/were very consumer friendly. When I had a problem I e-mailed Surflo and received a prompt helpful response with a technician who followed my problem to a successful solution.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

check the screen/diffusers in the shower & bath. A clogged screen will reduce flow, increase pressure, and cause pump cycling.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

There is usually an adjustment right on the pump, that can minimize the pump cycling on and off as it is used. But depending upon flow and restriction, that flow can vary. You can also install an air chamber in the supply line, that can minimize pulsing.

Our toilet gets the maximum flow, and the pump will run steady. The bathroom sink seems to get pulses, the shower and kitchen faucet runs steady most of the time when the faucets are turned fully on. Refrigerator seems to pulse three times to fill the ice cube maker.

Seems to be the nature of the beast.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who replied. Motohomer was pretty much on the money. I unfastened the bathroom sink spigot and the shower head handle and found the previous owner had put some restrictor flow type discs in probably to reduce water usage. Not a bad idea but we are pretty seasoned in how to conserve water. The pump not cycling is much nicer. Wish they could all be that easy!!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
check the screen/diffusers in the shower & bath. A clogged screen will reduce flow, increase pressure, and cause pump cycling.
I found trash in all my screens and once cleaned the water flowed much smoother.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
JC2
Winnie-Wise

The most consistant area that I have found for clogging is the freshwater hookup on the coach/rv. We check regularly and make sure the hose washers at this connection are kept clean and replaced every season.
Hose Filter Washers, Pack of three - Camco RV 20183 - Hoses, Reels & Fittings - Camping World These can usually be bought much cheaper in the garden supply section of the big box stores. The only difference I've noted is the screen is finer from rv supply stores. I recall several years ago the fresh water connection/screen(s) in our new 5ver had plugged up after using it just 3 weeks. As others have stated, the faucetts can also be another sourceof low water flow and can become partially plugged from grit/calcium/lime deposits. We treat our lines 1-2 times a year with the white vinegar treatment to keep the flow going. Helps alot in keeping the lines and wh in good working order.

Tags
water