Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water pressure

This has probably been discussed many times, but I am new to the site so here goes. I have a 98 Chieftain, love the coach except for our lack of water pressure. I have followed the water lines from the pump to every faucet and cannot locate any filters, so assume that my problem is not a clogged filter. When we hook up to a muncipal water supply we have lots of water, good flow etc. so I don't think it is a kinked line or some type of blockage. We do a lot of dry camping so the wife would like to have some water.
I am thinking about replacing the 2.8 GPM pump with a new Shurflo 5.0 GPM but don't want to waste the money if that is not the issue. Appreciate anyone's help
Catcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm thinking your 2.8 gpm pump is bad---or at least wounded. See if it is working properly would be my first step---it should deliver a fairly satisfying flow of water.

Pressure and flow are a different thing I believe. Have you actually checked the pressure in the municipal lines? You should always when you hook up. Or have a pressure reducer in your line. Many RV's suggest 45 psi; some RV sites have 90 psi and higher you can really create a heart ache by blowing a pipe amidship.

It is not uncommon to feel you do not have enough pressure or volume when you campare the RV to home. Our home water psi is about 80 and when we get into the RV which is 45 to 50 psi we notice the difference. Takes a little getting used to.

Water pumps only deliver pressure when you open a valve so they can actually deliver more psi and increasing the volume with a 5.0 should make a more satisfying delivery. I know when we use the pump it "feels" like more volume particularly in the shower which is generally the concern.

Have you determined that your pump is actually pumping water as it is supposed to? Can you pull the line on the pump and get a reading of pressure and see if it can fill a vessel of some sort as fast as it should?

There are some shower heads that create a venturi effect and amp the pressure or make it feel like you are getting more water anyway. CW carries them. Maybe one of those would help in showering. Wish I could remember the name for you---but it's easy to ask and find out.

Some RV's can accept more pressure but a 98 year model would probably not be one.

I think you may be in good company with the rest of us---unless there is truly a dramatic difference, like a trickle as opposed to a flow.

Someone may have more thoughts---good luck to you.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply, by little or no flow I mean we have a trickle, not enough pressure to even have any water out of the shower head. We do have a pressure regulator on the municipal side so we are limiting that to 40PSI. I to believe that my 14 year old pump may be on it's last legs. I get fair flow at the pump outlet but I think it may be too weak to move the water some 17 or so feet and up 3-4 feet to the faucet heads or even more so when you consider the height of the shower.
I see some less tna positive comments on the site regarding Surflo pumps, would be interested in anyone's suggestions as the best pump to purchase. If i install a stronger pump should I by pass the accumulator?

Thanks again
Catcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When you get your problem fixed- the name of the shower head at Camping World is Oxygenics...they are very good.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

purchase. If i install a stronger pump should I by pass the accumulator?

Thanks again

No do not bypass the accumilator tank. It serves a useful purpose and does not impede the flow.

You can test your pump though by removing the line just aft the accumilator. The outlet line. Turn your pump on briefly and observe the flow. You should have a good strong flow, If not, replace your pump, or remove it and rebuild it.
I just had to replace mine. They dont last forever.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
When you get your problem fixed- the name of the shower head at Camping World is Oxygenics...they are very good.
Ya baby X 2
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Do they make a pump that you can hardly hear run ? Seems like I saw something on that but don't know if it meant that or just chattering.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Catcoach---if your pump is original then consider replacing. You can get a good pump for a reasonable price---they are not hard to replace. When I replaced mine I found it was to my advantage to stay with the same brand because I just basically matched it up to the same fittings and done. If you change brand you may need to change the fittings---but suit yourself.

I am oblivious to the Shurflo controversy ---I would not be surprised if that is the brand I have---now. I had a faulty memory and a faulty pump at the same time I guess. My other one which was installed in warranty by a dealer was a really pricey pump but was injured by a freeze, and not rebuildable (some kind of computer thingy).

Should be fun looking for another brand. Good luck---lets us know what you decide and how it works out---it is always good to hear back.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Does the pump sound strong? If the pump motor is work it could just be a simple replacement of the diaphragm.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
This has probably been discussed many times, but I am new to the site so here goes. I have a 98 Chieftain, love the coach except for our lack of water pressure. I have followed the water lines from the pump to every faucet and cannot locate any filters, so assume that my problem is not a clogged filter. When we hook up to a muncipal water supply we have lots of water, good flow etc. so I don't think it is a kinked line or some type of blockage. We do a lot of dry camping so the wife would like to have some water.
I am thinking about replacing the 2.8 GPM pump with a new Shurflo 5.0 GPM but don't want to waste the money if that is not the issue. Appreciate anyone's help
there should be a screen type filter on the pump itself. my screen type filter is on the inlet side of the pump. without a filter, the pump could be clogged with debris.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My manual sez the filter is on the output side, but I haven't felt like pulling the valve panel off to even check it. If it sounds like a V8 running on 5 cylinders, it might be a bad winding in the motor. I re-wound one that was given to me, but it was never the same. If the motor is fine, there is no reason it can't be rebuilt, that is if it is rebuildable.

Another thing that will help once you get it working is a good ~$12 aerator from HD or Lowe's. The one I have is a 2 speed. Stream or shower mode with a quarter twist.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
Thanks for the reply, by little or no flow I mean we have a trickle, not enough pressure to even have any water out of the shower head. We do have a pressure regulator on the municipal side so we are limiting that to 40PSI. I to believe that my 14 year old pump may be on it's last legs. I get fair flow at the pump outlet but I think it may be too weak to move the water some 17 or so feet and up 3-4 feet to the faucet heads or even more so when you consider the height of the shower.
I see some less tna positive comments on the site regarding Surflo pumps, would be interested in anyone's suggestions as the best pump to purchase. If i install a stronger pump should I by pass the accumulator?

Thanks again
A few things to try. First make sure you don't have a filter screen on the regulator or hose end that connects to the campground water source. Many water spigots have a built in shut off in the hose connection end. If it has one there's usually a detent that sticks out slightly. If the detent contacts anything like a screen it gets pushed back into the outlet port it shuts off or reduces the water depending on how far it's pushed back in.

Secondly I don't understand the need to run the pump if you're connected to the city water. On our 01 Adventurer we have a valve in the water compartment labeled "City Fill"/"Water Tank Fill". When it's turned in the "City Fill" direction you should get whatever pressure is available at the spigot without using the pump. If you're filling the tank it goes in the "Water Tank Fill" direction only while you're filling the tank. If you leave it in that position after filling the tank the pump will just recirculate the water through the tank. Little or no water will come into the coach.

As for the problems with the SurFlo pumps it's primarily been wuth the 5.7 model. Out coach came with a 2.8 like yours and it still works fine. It has a screen type filter on the inlet side. I've had to remove it and rinse it our a few times. If you happen to have a campgrond source of water that's not properly filtered it can fill with sand in a hurry. When you open the compartment the filter is screwed onto the pump. All you have to do to remove it is unscrew the hose clamp, disconnect the hose and unscrew the filter from the pump by hand. Once you have the filter off it disassembles by unscrewing the 2 halves about a quarter turn. You can clean it by running water through it backwards or swishing it around in a bucket of water.

One last thing to check is the winterizing valve if you have one. If it's in the wrong position (or not fully open) your pump will not be able to pull water from the tank. It'll try to pull water from the winterizing tube which is probably capped. The only water it will get from the tank is a small amount that gets through the valve.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
I'd pull the pump and check two things.. One, as others have mentioned the screen that MIGHT be on the pump. Not all setups have a screen after the pump. If not there forget this step..

But, pulling the pump allows you to easily take the pump part apart and examine the pumphead. They get old and wear out. It is a simple and inexpensive repair. You can pull that end apart and see if there might be something clogging it. Who knows, there might be something as simple as a piece of teflon or grit or shavings from when the tank was installed.

I doubt the motor is bad.. but ya never know. If it runs and sounds good when it's out.. it probably is good and a pumphead replacement kit will solve the problem.

As far as noise.. they are a bit noisy.. and isolating the pipes from the walls with some foam can solve that.. also there are isolators that lift the pump off the wall or floor.. where ever it's mounted.. I think that's usually where most of my pumps delivered the worst noise.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I found calcium or lime build up in my pump. I used de-natured alcohol to clean it. Worked as good as new. I also tried to isolate it with thicker foam. Didn't help. The mounting screws still went into the floor. If I ever have to do it again, I'd try about an inch of dense foam and some zip ties.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water