Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water piping concerns...

2003 Itasca Horizon 34HD. Took the rear CRTv out. in behind it there is a big hole. Just had a woodworking friend of mine make a beautiful cabinet to put in it. I'm wanting to remove and plug the water lines that are pre-plumbed for the washer/dryer in the coach. What kind of substitute lines have you guys used? Down right off of the water pump I recently put in a Shurflo 182-200 accumulator tank. I used the reinforced plastic tubing, I know that the hot water side may require tubing that will hold up to heat. There are places I would like to install 90 degree elbows etc. I'm also going to be putting a T in for a spray nozzle for the toilet. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Thanks,
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

So much of what we do depends on the situation and how things look at the time as well as our comfort level working the different types. Pex is a great product line for places that get rough treatment like RV as it flexs and doesn't break as easy. That also makes it easier to fit in, around and over things without needing lots of fittings or where we need to sanke it in like through cabinets where we might not be able to reach for joints like ells or tee. The downside of Pex is that it can be strange and does need a tool to do the fittings.
PVC is good and many more will be used to working it as it is older and that makes the learning curve a bit easier for some. I like the ease and cheap of PVC for small here to there runs where I can see laying it in easy as I almost always have what I need for a small project. If I were starting over, I might never get into PVC for supply lines as Pex fits better and quicker for lots of stuff. Pex can be run like a snake and never questioned, while drilling holes for PVC has to be bigger holes or more care in aligning them.
Copper or solid iron pipe? Not for me in RV's.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks!

Morich,
Thanks for the information! I have done some research on PEX and understand it much better now. I found a T to put in the toilet feed for my spray nozzle. Going to have to buy the crimping tool. I was surprised to see the PEX products readily available at many hardware stores.
Bart
Old 03-31-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Depending on how often you might see the need for the tool, might want to check on rental as they tend to be expensive for a one time use.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ool/1000224579
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Excellent idea, certainly not going to be doing much PEX modifications!
Bart
Old 04-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you use the shark bite connectors you just need to cut the pex and push it in the fitting Its simple and clean. No need to crimp anything.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water