Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water leaking on to Dometic Awning Controller

I have a leak in my drain pipes or grey/black tanks. Twice now when the coach is not level. The front nose leaning down 4 or more inches. After retracting jacks. Then driving about 100 ft I get water coming out of the rear passenger bay doors. It is somewhere above the grey or black tanks on the passenger side. The tanks were empty both times. The water has drained down on to the Domestic wind controller and opened my awning after starting to drive out of the camp grounds. I had to take a hair dryer to the Domestic controller to get it dried out. The water smells like old stinky drain trap water.

Where should I be looking? Grey tank, black tank, front sink drain vent rear sink drain?

Dry before driving out of unlevel spot then soon after it is wet.

I unplug the power to the controller now so it will not opern while driving.

2008 Tour 40KD

Thanks
Doug
sam-tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a broken drain pipe have you looked under the shower access sometimes the nut on the P trap is loose and will leak wash water
Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes I did. I did not notice anything. But it is hard to tell anything from a 4" x 6" hole. Need to pull some bracing panels to get to it from the storage area.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Might be a panel in the compartment with any luck you have one. Look at as much drain lines as you can get to something is broken or loose.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

where does the condensation from your refrigerator drain to?

I have a drawer under my frig ... things in there used to get wet on occasion ... I finally rigged up a shield to divert the water away from the drawer ... end of problem
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It supposed to drain via a tube and it points out the refer cover on the outside
Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think our coaches are similar. Is your commode and water heater right above the awning controller? If I understood you right, this has happened when both tanks were empty and a WH leak could explain why it could happen with empty tanks. I had a hose break on my WH and it rained down on to the controller. I had to take it out and clean/dry it but it still works.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

It's not the water heater. It is way back by the motor. The hard part is all the drains are under the shower. There is very limited access under the shower. The toilet is on the other side of the RV. I tried removing a brace from the bottom but could not get it to come out. Wondering how hard it is to remove the shower and a wall.

All the inlets to the grey tank seem to move or wiggle by pushing with long pole. The drawing shows a conduit strap holding down the front sink pipe inlet to the grey tank. The strap is loose but imposible to get to with the shower still in the RV.

Oh my this is getting ugly fast!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I took some blind pictures and this is what I found. It is from the front kitchen sink in the slide out. The screw holding conduit clamp holding the flexible hose is loose. The problem is how to get to it. I got lucky with a small camera taking dozens of pictures. I can't even reach the hose. It is all under the shower.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV grey tank 029.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	25009  
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

There might be some button looking things on the wall, these are like plastic pop rivets drill them out very carefully and you can get some more at Lowe's, might have some silicone or 2 sided tape on the back of surround, after that the drain needs to be unscrewed and the pan unscrewed off the wall then it should lift out
Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

That would be a leak right there all that water splashing from moving or even just draining in to the tank.

If you go through the effort to remove all that in the way and that fitting is abs then glue it back the tank should be abs so it would a abs fitting

Tags
awning, water, dometic