Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

water leak in storage compartments

Hi just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem with water leaks in the outside storage compartments. I have 2009 winnebago journey, 34. Going cross country and got caught in heavy thunderstorms while camping, so slideouts were out. Closed up next morning, still raining and upon next stop found almost all compartments had water, some over half inch standing water. Water looked to be dripping down from the roof and side areas of the compartments. I dried everything out and next day drove in some light rain and upon setting up found water had leaked in all but two compartments, but not as heavy. I called Winnebago and they thought bad seals or leaking through trim piece that goes the length of the RV above the compartments. I don't think seals because it was all compartments and not sure about the trim piece leak due to amount of water, but don't know. My caulk along the trim piece is definatley dried out and cracked. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tom
Tom Turay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm looking at mine now and will post if I find the culprit. My 3 compartments below my living room slide got wet while it was parked with slide in. I just picked it up at the storage yard I used and brought it home to get ready for a trip. Opened the compartments below the slide and was surprised with a musty smell, some rusted tools and a damp carpet.
Fatfendr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Check the seams where the floor meets the sidewalls. Winnebago applies a sealant bead before they rivet the pieces together. Sometimes the bead stops before the corners. Consequently they can leak.

We had to replace the entire Storemore cabinet on our 01 Adventurer due to leaks. The floor rusted out on the cabinet just behind the front wheel well. You may have to remove the carpeting to inspect the seams. If you warm the carpet with a hair dryer it'll peel off the floor fairly easily. Be careful not to fold the carpet over or it'll stick on itself. You can put it back in place with no additional glue.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We had a leak in one of our compartments and it was road spray from the tires. Fixed at Winnebago. They shined a bright light from the outside to see it. I still have one intermittant leak that I am suspecting is behind the trim piece that runs the length of the body but have not been able to confirm yet.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

When brand new mine leaked through the compartment lights.
Sealant had been put on the wires going into the fixtures but the slide was closed before the sealant had dried and the sealant stuck to the frame and some was pulled off the next time the slide was opened.
Resealed the wires and the problem was fixed.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I too have leaking compartment doors. But only on the passenger side. The compartment doors on my Journey 34Y are hinged on the leading edge and the latches are on the trailing edge. And the doors swing sideways from rear to front. The latches are like car door latches and they are not pulling the doors tight against the seals. I need to try adjusting the latches. The doors on the driver side are snug and don't leak.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had a leak in the water/ sewer compartment last summer that drove me crazy. I finally found that the trim seal was leaking. It was hard to see where as the sealer was clear. Actually found several feet of trim along the rear that was not sealed properly at the factory. Recaulked and no more leaks..

Tags
leak, storage, water