Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water leak from bedroom slide

So............next issue on my "new"06 Meridian. We noticed the dreaded spongy wall , at the lower right hand corner of the bedroom slide, and removed some of the "wallpaper", and found rotted wood. I can replace the wood, but finding the source of the leak is driving me crazy, anyone have any tips ?
The water is somehow getting inside the wall, but it doesn't appear wet, at any point above the lower right hand corner of the slide opening. Is it possible it's coming in through the slide opening, then somehow getting inside the inner wall ?
I fear the slide may have to be removed to find the leak properly .......... :O(
Anyone have any insight to common issues with this rig, or other techniques for tracing the leak would be appreciated.
The one thing I didn't want to deal with in this motorhome is water leaks !
It's a 39k and has a one piece fiberglass roof, so I don't think it's the roof...
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Maybe use a hose and test section at a time!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If you have a window in that area , a clogged weep hole could cause this.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tips guys ..........I'll get after it with a hose tonight when I get home !
Old 08-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
So............next issue on my "new"06 Meridian. We noticed the dreaded spongy wall , at the lower right hand corner of the bedroom slide, and removed some of the "wallpaper", and found rotted wood. I can replace the wood, but finding the source of the leak is driving me crazy, anyone have any tips ?
The water is somehow getting inside the wall, but it doesn't appear wet, at any point above the lower right hand corner of the slide opening. Is it possible it's coming in through the slide opening, then somehow getting inside the inner wall ?
I fear the slide may have to be removed to find the leak properly .......... :O(
Anyone have any insight to common issues with this rig, or other techniques for tracing the leak would be appreciated.
The one thing I didn't want to deal with in this motorhome is water leaks !
It's a 39k and has a one piece fiberglass roof, so I don't think it's the roof...
I also have a 39K and had soft wood in the same area you mention - just to the forward edge of the bed. I found caulking to be cracked where the cap meets the sidewall and at the "rain gutter". I removed as much of the loose caulking as I could and added new caulking. Also caulked anything else up there that looked suspicious. It seems to have resolved the problem but I'm not going to fix that small piece of wood until after the rainy season just to be sure I have resolved the leak.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
aa1ssradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I also have a 39K and had soft wood in the same area you mention - just to the forward edge of the bed. I found caulking to be cracked where the cap meets the sidewall and at the "rain gutter". I removed as much of the loose caulking as I could and added new caulking. Also caulked anything else up there that looked suspicious. It seems to have resolved the problem but I'm not going to fix that small piece of wood until after the rainy season just to be sure I have resolved the leak.
Bob
I was gonna say the same thing except I sealed it with eternabond tape permanently.

No more caulk to come out.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ok, thanks again gents ! I'll check it out.
In my case it appears that the leak doesn't occur, when the slide is in, so I played water on the front side of the bedroom slide, and it seems that when it sheets down the front wall where the window is, some of it is getting past the wiper seal, and between the slide and the bus wall. What I don't know, is once it is in there, how is it getting inside the wall ?
Those were my observations from last night, but maybe it was the extra water pressure from the hose driving it past the seal. I am certainly going to check out the caulking at the cap though, and I'll report back, as that is an easier fix than trying to replace the slide seal
Thanks again !
Old 08-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We had a leak on our slide. We found the rubber gasket around the slide had come loose at the end and folded back. It was the rubber at the inside of the slide so only leaked when slide was out and had to be fixed with slide in from inside the coach. Leaks can be a pain to find the source. Good luck
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Had numerous water leak problems with top seams in slide out front and rear. Sealed with eternabond tape with slides in so I could reach top seams and after 5 years still dry. Eternabond is hard to work with, as it is VERY sticky and hard to remove if mistake. But worth the effort.
777Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well, fingers crossed, I think I found it !
The seal at the left side stopped about 3/4" up from the bottom of the slide aperture. I looked around in the gap, and it looks like there was a passage all of the way thro' that had been sealed on the inside with mastic. The water was getting thro to the inside, and then wicking down the wall.
I have temporarily sealed the gap with silicone caulk, and it seems to have stopped the leak.
Anyone know what is the best type of mastic to put in the gap for a permanent repair ?
I'm thinking the type they use on car windscreens, would that do ?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If your remedy doesn't work, check the top of the slide at the very end under the cover.

We had a leak under the rear bedroom window and never could find it until I realized that there was a split in the vinyl cover letting water in on the top of the slide. I have never been able to caulk the seam along the top edge of the slide, but since I repaired the split in the cover I have had no more water coming in from the window.

The water was evidently seeping in along the top of the rear wall, seeping around to the side and coming out under the window.

When ever I replace the cover I will caulk the very end of the slide. As long as water doesn't get on top of the slide I am OK.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide, water, water leak