Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Water leak

I have a vista 26p. I have a wet storage compartment below the sink. There is no apparent leak in the water lines hot are cold and no apparent leak in the drain. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sanmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Reach up under the faucet area of the sink and make sure the nuts are as tight as you can get them by hand. Make sure the nuts on the drain line are as tight as you can get them by hand.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I checked all connections of the hot and cold water lines including the faucet and all the connections of the drain line. No leaks. The pump doesn’t cycle when it is on. But I found the floor of the compartment wet?
Sanmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanmurf View Post
I checked all connections of the hot and cold water lines including the faucet and all the connections of the drain line. No leaks. The pump doesn’t cycle when it is on. But I found the floor of the compartment wet?
I have had different types of leaks, If your pump is not cycling than that leak may be on the drain side of the equation. I had to replace the flex line from the sink on my unit that is in the slide. When I had a pressure side water leak the water pump would cycle. Check all the connections you will find it.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Laying out pieces of colored construction paper (think kindergarten) in strategic places will help find the leak. Water will make the colors fade dramatically.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
Boondocker

Might be condensation. I have a 2015 Minnie Winnie 31K with a soaking wet exterior storage bin under the kitchen sink... but no plumbing or door leaks.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Seasons View Post
Might be condensation. I have a 2015 Minnie Winnie 31K with a soaking wet exterior storage bin under the kitchen sink... but no plumbing or door leaks.
You have a water leak somewhere. The exterior door or a plumbing line. Better find it before it gets worse.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Laying out pieces of colored construction paper (think kindergarten) in strategic places will help find the leak. Water will make the colors fade dramatically.
Another great comment. I use colored napkins for the same purpose. If you wrap one around the trap you can see sink drain leaks very easily. Unless you are on city water the lines are not pressurized. Hard to find the source with the 12 volt pump. You need to turn on the hot and cold which pressurizes the lines and then lay down to see if it’s a supply leak or drain leak. Has to be one of the other.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Had a similar problem ,with a wet compartment below the sink. No apparent line leaks or fittings. Accidentally bumped the p trap and saw a drip on the cupboard floor. Turned out the trap had a hair line crack on the side I couldn't see. May have frozen with previous owner, replaced with new and no more wet compartment!! The joys of RV n
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:00 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

All good suggestions. I would completely clear out everything from under the sink (which you may have already done), dry everything completely up and get a good work light to really light up the compartment.

As others have said, if the pumps on, or your have domestic pressure, your leak should show up. If it's not there with the faucet off, turn it on and look for wet piping - the water can be seeping and not dripping and still end up on the floor of the compartment.

For the drain portion of the system, I'd put about a quarter of a sink full of water and pull the plug. This will flow maximum water for a short period. If there is a leak in the vertical stack, the p trap, or the tail piece, it should show up.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have a 2014 Minnie Winnie 31K with the same outside compartment problem. Put a DampRid container in there removed all moisture. Fixed problem. Could not find a leak.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #12
Boondocker

I have been going through DampTramps like crazy - especially when we have warm, humid days and cooler nights (Great Lakes weather.) This bin is actually under the hot water tank and furnac, so insulation has helped, and I try to avoid storing metallic and other hard surface items in that bin, which add to the condensation and resultant wet bottom.
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

On our Vista LX 35F we had the same thing from time to time. We had a pull down sprayer on the faucet that had a lead weight on the hose underneath the sink to help it retract. When driving, the weight would swing back and forth which slightly loosened the connection. As much as I like pull down faucets, we went ahead and replaced it with a regular tall faucet. Problem solved. Our RV tech told us he had seen this many times on the pull down faucets.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have been going through DampTramps like crazy - especially when we have warm, humid days and cooler nights (Great Lakes weather.) This bin is actually under the hot water tank and furnac, so insulation has helped, and I try to avoid storing metallic and other hard surface items in that bin, which add to the condensation and resultant wet bottom.
Did you add extra insulation? If so where?
Old 02-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
How about around the sink edge? I have to redo the seal on mine, occasionally. Overzealous cleaning! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoders2Go View Post
How about around the sink edge? I have to redo the seal on mine, occasionally. Overzealous cleaning! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
This is the third leak source that I find. It may be as simple as the seal between the faucet and counter top is no good and water from washing hands, turning off the faucet runs down and slips through the crack.
I have the 2015 Vista 31Ke and my compartments are all tight--until I drive in the rain!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak