Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am spending the winter just North of Charlotte and the nights are getting down into the low 20s. Some morning's I have an ice plug in the last 8 feet or so of water hose before it attaches to the Winnebago. I have been having to go out to the water line and manually work the ice plug out of the hose before I can use the onboard water systems.

Any suggestions on how to insulate the water hose? Does anyoe make insulated water hoses?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Matt1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am spending the winter just North of Charlotte and the nights are getting down into the low 20s. Some morning's I have an ice plug in the last 8 feet or so of water hose before it attaches to the Winnebago. I have been having to go out to the water line and manually work the ice plug out of the hose before I can use the onboard water systems.

Any suggestions on how to insulate the water hose? Does anyoe make insulated water hoses?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Matt1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

How about heat tape?
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Fill your water tank in the afternoon and work of that at night. Shut off your supply faucet and drain the hose. Just use the hose to keep your tank full and drain the hose each time.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

In Myrtle Beach I see the "all winter" people using foam pipe insulation. Seems to work for them. No heat needed as it doesn't get too cold and only then for a few hours.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use foam pipe wrap and a heat tape with a bucket over the water source. If it's just for a night I'd just disconnect and keep the hose inside. I also shut-off the sewer valve and drain that hose.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fill your water tank in the afternoon and work of that at night. Shut off your supply faucet and drain the hose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is the easiest way to avoid a frozen hose. Depending on your water use level, you can run off a full tank 5 days or more ...more if there is just one person using it. ...same for dumping your tanks ...we have two people on board and easily make it 4-5 days before we have to dump one or the other tank. If you will be in that location for an extended period, it may be worth it to insulate and/or use heat tape.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

After seeing what frozen and or broken water lines can do to a coach I just don't take any chances and simply unhook the water hose from the coach in the evening. Drain it and hook back up in the morning.

While at Myrtle Beach last year we saw water spewing out of a coach's storage compartments while the owners had left for the night. I turned off the water but when the owners got back they couldn't believe this happened after 10 years of RV'ing they never unhooked the water.....
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote