Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water heater yellow flame thrower

Bran new 2020 Micro Mini 2108. Propane tanks full. Stove burners works fine.
With gaz heater on, the flame is yellow, large and lazy, even coming out the top vent.
Nothing visible such as spider webs.Shut everything down , then back up a few times....still the same problem.

Anybody with such a situation?
Berty222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My guess was going to be spiders--I would do whatever you can to make sure nothing is in the tube that runs to what should be the flame area.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The idea of the color is that the combo of gas and air is not correct. So it needs to be given a look on both issues, air and gas. first I would try to make sure the gas is getting there in the normal amount and that can take a look at the orifice, the tiny opening where the gas comes out. Make sure it is not restricted in some way. On an old one it might be rust, while on anew one it might be most anything like a gob of caulking!
The air needs a good look for things blocking it like spiders or wasps but if those look right there are times that an adjustment is needed. Try looking at the end of the gas line for an adjustment. something with a screw to loosen and move a metal "cover" forward or back perhaps?
A search for "rv water heater flame adjustment" gets you lots of info on adjusting different brands. You want as much blue flame as adjustment will get you.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I ran a blower to clear the burner and something camp out... problem fixed.
Thank you all !!!
Berty222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Now is a good time to mention a small point new users often miss!! We can head off a frequent problem if we put some type of screen over the vents on the water heater, furnace, and frig to keep bugs like wasps or spiders from messing with us!
Another big reason to keep them out? It's a lot better than using a vacuum, etc to find there are like fifty wasps in there!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the tube is clear, then you may have gotten something in the orfice of the propane gas tube that is reducing the flow. Sometimes debris in the hard pipe gets knocked loose and makes it's way to the propane appliances. Most RVs don't have the elbows with a short piece of hard pipe going down a few inches for that debris to fall down into before it can get to an appliance like homes do.

Don't try to poke anything in the orfice, but you can remove it from the gas valve and try to knock anything clear. Compressed air can work, too. Yellow flame indicates improper mix of air and propane. There also may be an adjustment on how much air gets admitted on the horizontal pipe between the gas valve and the burner that somehow got out of it's original position. Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater