Well after a long bicycle ride through Myrtle Beach Travel Park with 3 days left on our vacation we returned to the MH and found water just pouring out of the utility compartment. It was about 7pm and about all I could do is take the cover off the area that housed the plumbing. After turning the water back on the problem was clearly evident. The solenoid that controls the bypass of the water heater had failed and water was pouring from the top of the solenoid. It was getting dark and all we could do is turn off the water and start up the repair in the morning.
The next morning it was like back to tent camping and shower in the bath house! After breakfast I reviewed the plumbing diagram and called CoachNet but they only send a mobile repairer if the MH is disabled. I then called my dealer and all I could get from them is "that solenoid is obsolete and not made any longer and we just insert a manual valve." Well that was not much immediate help so I placed a call to Winnebago. In less than 5 minutes I had talked to a technician and was advised how to plumb around the valve. He did also confirm the solenoid is no longer produced.
The next process was removing the valve but I really did not have anything with me to cut the pipe. After walking around and scratching my head I asked the DW if we still had the "Ginsu" knife. We did so with the help of "Mr Ginsu" the pipe was cut like a hot knife through butter.
Now off to the hardware store. The owner of the hardware store showed me the best solution, a quick snap on type fitting, but he says you have to have a smooth straight cut. I had a piece of the pipe with me and he said "it can't be like that." It was a little rough with the "Ginsu." Believe it or not this total stranger loaned me his pipe cutter and it was back to work on plumbing. Had it fixed in less than 5 minutes. See photos below of valve and new fittings. This is good until winter.
I'm curious if any of you have had the same problem and what did you do to permanently fix the problem. I have another solenoid valve still left in the compartment which switches the pump to pull antifreeze from the jug. I guess I need to remove it as well. I would like to have easy access to the valves and that sure is not possible once the cover is replaced.