Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve

We're on the road and when we stopped for the night I turned on my water heater and faucet and the water heater began spewing water from the pressure relief valve (not seeping). Am I to assume that the valve is no longer operable and should I replace it. Other possibilities?

I should mention that I waited awhile, let it cool, turned on everything and had the same result.

Is this the kind of replacement that should be done by a tech or should I tackle it. I assume that I can find a replacement at most RV supply stores.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Nick replace it yourself. It just scews in simple job good luck.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Absolutely, do it yourself Nick, unless you have no inclination and money to burn. Access is easy, all you need is one wrench and ten minutes. You don't even need to drain anything. Pull it out, crank the other one in. Good luck.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You may try, as a quick fix, flipping and releasing the lever on it a few times. If it just corroded up, this may get yoy going.

If it does, then you will still want to replaced it as soon as practical. Easy job though, good wrench or channel locks. Should be able to purchase one at any home supply such as Lowes or Ace.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
You may try, as a quick fix, flipping and releasing the lever on it a few times. If it just corroded up, this may get yoy going.

If it does, then you will still want to replaced it as soon as practical. Easy job though, good wrench or channel locks. Should be able to purchase one at any home supply such as Lowes or Ace.
Ours was dripping and I found that flipping the lever up and down did stop the leak. Evidently there was crud in the valve. To be prepared, I got a replacement from AdventureRV.net just in case it does fail. The local Home Depot & Lowes didn't carry the smaller diameter unit that would fit.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

When you get to an area that as Home Depot AND a RV place take the valve out and go to Home Depot for a match. If they don't have it then try the RV dealer. Use thread sealer on the new install.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Pressure Relief Valve

I had been told in the past not to get into the habit of releasing that spring for one reason or another because it causes its strength to deteriorate. And if it leaks, replace it.
Now when I want to bleed water out of that tank, I open the hot water faucet and the hot water drain on the bottom of the m/h and then open the large locking bolt on the bottom (sometimes this is a white plastic nut). (The extra water will really come charging out.) In an Atwood I think that is the bar that "bad water" chemicals attach themselves to. On a Surburban, it is just a locking valve.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Got it fixed! Thanks to all that provided advice for this repair. The old T & P valve was a bear to remove, but I finally got it off and the new one is working perfectly. Love that hot water.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote