Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #1
Micro-Minnie Newbie

Water heater output too hot! (Micro-Minnie 1708)

Hi All!

I have a new 2022 Micro-Minnie 1708 that has hot water which is too hot at the tap. It measures 145F if using electric heater, and 155F if using gas heater (hot enough for scalding risk - yikes!).

The Dometic water heater (WH-6-GEA) manual implies that the water heater has a (non-adjustable) mixer valve that is supposed to blend cold water with the hot tank water to ensure tap water does not exceed 130F. However, I do not see a mixer valve on or near the water heater. I was able to adjust the bypass valve as a way to reduce max water output temperature, but not sure that is really the best fix.

I suppose I will have to bring the trailer back to the shop for this, but I am wondering if anyone else has any info / thoughts about this?

Thank you,
John L
John L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a faulty thermostat. You can replace it yourself fo $20, or wait for months to get a service department appointment. I know, that smells, but I can tell you, I’ve repaired about 5 critical things on my micro Minnie since we bought it 18 months ago. Although they would have been legit warranty claims, fixing stuff yourself is often cheaper, and definitely faster than waiting on warranty service. You can test it with a multimeter before replacing, but it’s probably less hassle to just order a new one and replace.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #3
Micro-Minnie Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Sounds like a faulty thermostat. You can replace it yourself fo $20, or wait for months to get a service department appointment. I know, that smells, but I can tell you, I’ve repaired about 5 critical things on my micro Minnie since we bought it 18 months ago. Although they would have been legit warranty claims, fixing stuff yourself is often cheaper, and definitely faster than waiting on warranty service. You can test it with a multimeter before replacing, but it’s probably less hassle to just order a new one and replace.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response - yes good point; I'll look into the thermostat also..
(Also thanks for your service! Our son is currently in the Marines - he's a pilot; flying Hueys).
regards, john L
Old 05-15-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi John, it seems like RV water heaters generally run pretty hot. I think it might be because a 6 gallon tank is fairly small so they expect the user to manually mix in some cold water at the faucet so the hot water lasts longer. Some RVs have automatic mixing valves but I would guess that most do not. If you do a search on the forums you will find a lot of posts about the hot water is too hot.

One thing, since you plan to check the thermostat is to make sure the thermostat makes really good contact with the tank. If there is poor contact, the water will get extra hot before the thermostat senses it and opens. You might also be able to buy lower temperature thermostats.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #5
Micro-Minnie Newbie

Yes, will do, thanks.
From what I have been able to learn from the Dometic water heater installation manual, the water temp in the hot water tank is intended to be pretty hot (150-160F) and a 'mixer valve' is supposed to mix in some cold water to the hot water coming out of the tank so that the hot water at the tap is not greater than 130F. Makes sense; however I can not locate this mixer valve. Seems that the water I'm getting at the tap is full hot - not 'mixed'.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We had the same problem. Purchased an adjustable thermostat off Ebay. Dometic 93105 Adjustable Thermostat Control Replacement. Works great.
Sprint parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Dometic water heater odor?

Did anyone get a "smell of burning plastic" from the water heater on first time gas operation? We've been using the wh on electric, all fine, no smell, but wanted to check gas operation. My wife has a sensitive nose, and says she smells burning plastic in the cabinet under the sink. When I went out to check the door on the wh seemed awful hot compared to previous RVs we've had. We just went to electric operation. I also see you can replace the thermostat with an adjustable.
TwoFrom93449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

New will have a certain amount of new smell from oil, etc on things, so it may be normal, but it is always good to check for something out of place. There are times when labels, stickers or tags get in the wrong place so a check of things inside the cover and all around the fire may be a good idea. But there is another point that is often missed which jumps up to give to give trouble later.

Do you have screens over all the outside vent openings like on the frig, furnace and water heater? Those are often open and wasps, mud daubers, etc. build a nest and restrict airflow. Add screens to avoid trouble? Or it might be that you are smelling a paper nest burning in there now?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

One common cause of excessively hot water is incorrect thermostat position. The thermostat and ECO must be tight against the tank to perform properly. Remove the metal cover, gently spread apart the insulation to expose the 'stat and ECO, if they are not tight against the tank, make sure there is nothing between the surfaces the use a small piece of metal duct tape to hold them to the tank.

When replacing the insulation,add a small wad of fiberglass house insulation over the sensors so the metal cover slightly compresses the insulation. This insures the 'stat and ECO are tight against the tank and will remain so.

And, YES there is a Dometic adjustable thermostat..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater