Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 40
water heater lined plugged

I think I blew it. I put a new water filter on before I flushed the charcoal powder out.
My fresh water was spitting out charcoal powder for ever. My hot water does not run at all.
Is there away to back flush my hot water heater line to try to unplug it?
Or How do I fix?
Thank You Kenn
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 2,111
OK, let's ask some questions.

First question always - what RV year, model, floorplan? No clue from you on this.

Next, do you really think the charcoal tinged water was enough to clog the water heater? I just changed a filter yesterday and yeah, I had a couple of gallons of water with a gray color but not enough to clog a pipe or opening.

All water heaters have a drain plug on the front. You can open that and dump out all of the water and even stick a hose inside to flush the tank.

Could the WH issue just be air from the new filter that needs to be purged? We don't know what all you tried.

And, on that point - when you say the WH doesn't run at all what do you mean? NO water from it? No HOT water from it? It will not light on propane gas???????
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 468
I don't get the water filter on RV thing. Does anyone actually drink water out of their RV? I could see it maybe if you were camped for a long time with a city water connection, but other than that . . ..

I didn't see a filter as a plus when buying because of it being pointless for me given my travel plans, but also because it would make winterization more difficult.
__________________
2019 2106 DS
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,154
I see water filter as being quite common on RV for various reasons. But before we get too far with a suggested solution, it will need some more info. One point that I can see easily confused is charcoal stopping up an aerator on a faucet? Not so easy to see it stopping up a line. Stopped up check valves/ Possible?
If it does get down to a stoppage beyond an aerator, backflushing is pretty easy. Depends on the faucet but one easy way to backflush lines is to add an adapter at the faucet, connect a hose and let the water flow. Requires some thought on where and how to make it flow past check valves if they are in the path.
__________________
Richard
2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE on 2014 chassis
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I don't get the water filter on RV thing. Does anyone actually drink water out of their RV? I could see it maybe if you were camped for a long time with a city water connection, but other than that . . ..

I didn't see a filter as a plus when buying because of it being pointless for me given my travel plans, but also because it would make winterization more difficult.
This can turn into a problem on forums. People voice their personal feelings but have no input for the thread. Or high jacking a post and turning it into a completely different topic. The forum becomes useless because it's to cumbersome to find info on the topic on hand.
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbwitt View Post
This can turn into a problem on forums. People voice their personal feelings but have no input for the thread. Or high jacking a post and turning it into a completely different topic. The forum becomes useless because it's to cumbersome to find info on the topic on hand.
Sorry if you didn't see the implied solution--get rid of the filter entirely! Don't change it out--remove it.

BTW, I would recommend that on home refrigerators too, but for an entirely different reason. Most filters are made in China and China puts lead in seemingly everything. Rather than making yourself more healthy you'd be killing yourself. Probably not a big issue with RVs because I think those are mainly bare filters, although I suppose the Chinese could manage to pack some lead in with Charcoal.
__________________
2019 2106 DS
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 34
Blog Entries: 1
Check the screen on your faucet. Every year mine plugs up from calcium from the hot water heater. Is you charcoal filter just on the cold water? On my view, only the cold water is filtered.
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 43
Drinking water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I don't get the water filter on RV thing. Does anyone actually drink water out of their RV? I could see it maybe if you were camped for a long time with a city water connection, but other than that . . ..

I didn't see a filter as a plus when buying because of it being pointless for me given my travel plans, but also because it would make winterization more difficult.
So are you saying you don't drink water? Hopefully you don't buy bottled all the time. I bought a $60 reverse osmosis system on Amazon that produces water with ZERO ppm solids, and shows no chemical contaminants of any kind. I can crank out 5-10 gallons in an afternoon. I even use it in appliances that are supposed to have distilled water - it's that clean.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
Former Winnebago Owner
 
NMBluept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 59
Kenn,
Back to your original problem. As I understand it after replacing the water filter you now have no hot water flowing from any faucet/shower, but cold water is working properly? If this is the case I'm thinking the water heater check valve failed. Winnebago puts 2 check valves on the water heater in order to allow by-pass for winterizing. The check valve in the hot out has likely failed blocking flow. Several common solutions: remove outlet line from check valve and use needle nose pliers to remove check valve guts, replace check valve, or totally remove check valve from plumbing. In all cases you will need access the back side of the water heater - easier said than done in many cases. Let us know year/model of MH for further info.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,212
Kenn - I did not see the clarification as to what the actual problem is.

Is your water heater not working with the burner not coming on, hot water no longer flows when you open a faucet or something else?

Sometime forgetting the outside shower valve on after shutting the flow off at the shower head can cause a lack of hot water. It could also just be coincidental and that one of the back flow valves on the water heater have failed and plugged the line which is quite common. Did you winterize and forget to turn the valve back so that the hot water heater is still being bypassed.

Also having the year and model of your motor home posted in your signature line will help us to answer more specifically about your particular coach.
__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 3
hot water from taps

2007 Itasca Sunrise 35A.
just replaced the water heater. re & re went well.
water heater tank filled with city water. (opened winter bypass)
turned on electric switch for water heater.
couple hours later checked pressure release valve on new water heater and hot came out.
no hot water thru inside taps or outside shower.
line drain on other side of MH - opened and hot water poured out with pressure.
no hot water from inside taps
?? Ideas would be greatly appreciated.


thx
Don
car54Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper
 
vanovafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbwitt View Post
I think I blew it. I put a new water filter on before I flushed the charcoal powder out.
My fresh water was spitting out charcoal powder for ever. My hot water does not run at all.
Is there away to back flush my hot water heater line to try to unplug it?
Or How do I fix?
Thank You Kenn
For what it's worth. I just bought a new RV and I received it winterized with no water in any tanks. I filled up the water tank and like you, I got no water on the hot water side. Checked and Checked and followed every line and found no valve closed. I finally determined that the last cold water valve that could shut off water to the water heater must be stuck in closed position even though handle is all the way in open position. Yep, that's what it was. My valves have a bonnet that can be unscrewed and pulled out. Even after I pulled out the bonnet, nothing flowed. I stuck a small screw driver down into the valve and Bam! out popped an explosion of powdery bits and pieces of crusty white powder pellets. Problem solved.
__________________
2019 Minnie Winnie 22M E-450
vanovafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
So are you saying you don't drink water? Hopefully you don't buy bottled all the time. I bought a $60 reverse osmosis system on Amazon that produces water with ZERO ppm solids, and shows no chemical contaminants of any kind. I can crank out 5-10 gallons in an afternoon. I even use it in appliances that are supposed to have distilled water - it's that clean.
We drag along those 2.5 gallon water jugs. Works fine.

I wouldn't want to install a reverse osmosis device because it would be yet another thing to winterize.
__________________
2019 2106 DS
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 3
hi thx for replies
new water tank if full, hot water comes out when pressure release valve pulled.
hot water is leaving the tank as it comes across rig and will pour out hot water line release on other side
the water from the cold taps is cold.
the water from the hot tap is barely tepid, not cold, not hot.
the winter by pass is turned to summer
car54Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #15
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54Don View Post
hi thx for replies
new water tank if full, hot water comes out when pressure release valve pulled.
hot water is leaving the tank as it comes across rig and will pour out hot water line release on other side
the water from the cold taps is cold.
the water from the hot tap is barely tepid, not cold, not hot.
the winter by pass is turned to summer
Start by double checking the city water fill valve and both the inside shower head and the outside shower in the sewer compartment. The most common cause of tepid hot water issues even though the heater tank is hot is when both valves on the outside shower are left open after someone shuts the shower off by the shutoff valve built into the shower head. There is also a chance that the winter bypass is not completely into the summer/normal use position.

If the check valve coming out of the water heater was plugged you would only get a trickle of hot water however if your getting good flow of tepid water then cold water is getting mixed into the hot water lines somewhere in the system.

How was the hot water before the tank broke down and required replacing? Was the new water heater an exact replacement or is it possible that the cold and hot lines are reversed?
__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 3
water heater lined plugged?

hi
thx for info
yes, water flow is good.
prior to replacement tank and lines / flow / hot water was great

I drained everything this morning
refilled house water tank full.
water coming out water tank pressure release
waiting for hot water
will try it again in a bit
car54Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plugged in w/batteries disconnected? cpd520 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 6 01-06-2014 04:44 PM
Lights dimmed to nothing. Been plugged in for a week Chris Mundin Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 8 01-12-2013 03:39 PM
Plugged in no 50 EMS says no power? rream Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 17 01-08-2013 11:25 PM
Severe Battery temps while plugged in, Yeow! FIRE UP Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 13 06-11-2011 12:03 PM
plugged in garybtt Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 12 02-04-2007 04:44 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×