Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2022, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water heater issue

I don’t know if this is an issue or not, but I have always had trouble lighting the propane water heater. When I flip up the switch the pilot light comes on then goes out. (Normal operation). The the light comes back on to try again. Manual says leave off for a few minutes then try again. It usually takes numerous tries before it will stay lit. Sometimes I’ll spend 20 or 30 minutes before I can get the water heater to stay on. I’m not 100% sure it’s related, but I just noticed that this seems to be causing some electrical interference with the television when I flip the switch.
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes,sounds like there is an issue with lighting correctly as it should be as simple as flipping the heater switch on and letting it do it's thing without watching.

But the devil is in the details at times and not all operate exactly the same, so if you can tell us which brand and modelof heater, we can doa check for a troubleshooting manual. That cuts out lots of those small differences if we can actually look at the real one YOU have!

Since you do get it to light eventually, I might guess it is something small that just needs a cleaning or something tightened.
Something like a small item that senses there is a flame after it lights may get loose and not always feel the heat just right, so it closes the gas valve to avoid blowing us up!
Try three times in a row and it can get hot enough to say the fire has lit and let the gas valve stay open!

But that is way past a pure guess! I feel better working with actual facts!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Vita 24P

I found the Thermostat overheat sensor was bad on my old travel trailer. They are cheap and easy to replace on most waterheaters.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It is a Suburban SWD6D.
I too am a fan of actual facts and blowing up!
I appreciate any words of wisdom.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Possible the model is SW6D? I do not find Swd6d, so I've gone with skipping the one letter and think it is correct.

So some ideas are pretty easy to check on this one as it is direct ignition. That means no pilot light to think about as it has an electronic "clicker" like bar-b-Q etc. have. Good thing is that there are few parts to think about but then it gets into the control board where we can't see or tell if it is good or bad.
Since you have one that does usually work after a while, I'm thinking it is not the board but possibly something we can see and feel.

I stole a snip off the internet for reference to make it easier to talk about.

First, verify this looks like what you have?
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	183894

If it matches, try looking at the heater while somebody else turns it on inside.

You should hear the igniter clicking and if close enough possibly see the sparks. Those sparks are likely to be what messes with the TV signal! That leaves me thinking it is working up to that point.

Second point to make sure of is that there is not something restricting the gas flow through that metal tube going to the right. Wasp or mud dauber nests are frequent items that do that, so it may help to stick a wire, etc in and scrape the tube a bit to check for that. They often hand them on the top side to hang down! A leaf vac, hair drier, etc can help clear any loose debris you knock loose.
Screens over the vents are a good idea if not in place?

Warning!
Don't stand too close when first checking this as it may be aproblem that the clickerworksand then you should hear or feel the gas solenoid click as it opens at number 2. The problem can be that the valveopens but there is something like a wasp nest in the tube where the gas flows to meet the ignition clicking! If that tube is stopped up partway, the gas may not go into the tube as it should but piles up at the air opening before catching fire.

It's not a lot of gas but not something you want to be real close to if it does light!!

Simple idea is the inside switch turns on, the igniterclicks and then the gas valve opens with a click to let the gas flow into the tube to meet the igniter and you get fire!

The red reset buttons were already markedon the "stolen" drawing but they only come in if the heater has over heated and then they need pushed to reset after it cools. I've never had it happen but something to know?

See if that makes things better. It could be the board but boards are not too prone to fixing themself at different times, so I'm moving away from that idea untilproven different?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:12 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Do all of your other gas appliances work ok? Could be your propane regulator although it does sound like the position of the flame sensor needs to be adjusted. When it does light, is it a strong, mostly blue flame with orange tips?
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

You should be able to search online for the "Suburban Water Heater Service & Training Manual". Download the PDF of that manual and it will give you lots of great info on your SW6D.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Lots of great advice. I checked all those things. Naturally it started fine and stayed on each time. I guess I’ll keep an eye on it and let it go for now. Maybe I’ll go outside and watch for gremlins each time I want to turn it on.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:46 AM   #9
Site Team

Hi CarpeDiem,
I did burn-up my Ignition Wire, and I believe by traveling at freeway-speeds with my water heater switched-on. The dealership replaced the wire for me, and others on this forum say to always shut-off your water heater while underway. My problem with failure to ignite sounds similar to yours.
Eagle5

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater