Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water heater ID help...

I have a 2003 Itasca Horizon 34HD. The water heater is giving me problems, it's inconsistent on propane and damned near worthless on electric. I'm currently sequestered in it at a RV park. Being it's 17 years old, I just want to replace it. Would any of you have the manufacture and model #? Sure would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I found all of the information, have any of you done the replacement yourselves?
Thanks,
Bart
Blkbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkbart View Post
I found all of the information, have any of you done the replacement yourselves?
Thanks,
Bart
I recently replaced my hot water tank and there are a few things to know. First what is the model number of your unit? Do you have gas and electric with the heat exchanger in the back that connects to the coach's cooling system? Mine does it is an Atwood CGH10A-4E. I was replacing my original model which was a 3E.

Do you have a separate switch for the electric?

If the answer to the above two questions are a yes, the 4E is a direct replacement for the 3E, with one change they designed the 4E to use the same switch to run the electric side of the hot water tank and instead of 3 wired coming from the tank there are now 4 wires coming from the tank. The 4th wire is to run a relay to power the electric side of the tank.

I just ran the 4th wire up to where my old electric switch was and installed a separate switch there to power the relay. I did it this way because it was far to difficult to fish the 4th wire from the tank to the switch that was on the opposite side of the coach.

I left the original electric switch installed and just added a switch to power the relay for the tank. It was the easiest way to get the job done. Running wires after the unit was built can be a challenge.

On the water fittings i went to lows and bought shark bite pex fittings much better and easier to work with than the old twist on type.

The instruction manual that comes with the tank gives you the wiring instructions not a difficult job.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater