Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Since new I have had a problem with water heater flame being erratic. It will come on as normal and begin to slowly get weaker after a few minites. Sometimes it will go completely out and then recycle only to go out again. The first time it got to be major problem I was at 8000 ft. I found I could adjust the air mix to get me by. Had it serviced at WI in Forest City by the gas expert. It has been working a little better but having owned many rigs over the years I am sure it is not right. When this problem occurrs there is a very noticeable change in the sound of the burner. At one time I was beginning to thank that opening the bay door made a difference but now I am not sure. Before going to WI I had to adust the air serveral times to complete a trip from sea level to 8000 ft. I have inspected the air inlet area and burner and cannot see anything that looks odd.

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Since new I have had a problem with water heater flame being erratic. It will come on as normal and begin to slowly get weaker after a few minites. Sometimes it will go completely out and then recycle only to go out again. The first time it got to be major problem I was at 8000 ft. I found I could adjust the air mix to get me by. Had it serviced at WI in Forest City by the gas expert. It has been working a little better but having owned many rigs over the years I am sure it is not right. When this problem occurrs there is a very noticeable change in the sound of the burner. At one time I was beginning to thank that opening the bay door made a difference but now I am not sure. Before going to WI I had to adust the air serveral times to complete a trip from sea level to 8000 ft. I have inspected the air inlet area and burner and cannot see anything that looks odd.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have had exactly the same problem. Our dealer has tried letting more air behind the compartment door by adding larger door stops, but it hasn't really helped much. I have not yet taken it to Forest City. I am to the point where I run the heater on electric all of the time.
I'm interested to see if someone who has had this problem has gotten a working solution.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Try running it with the door (not just the bay door, but the w/h door) open. If it runs OK, you have an air mixture problem. The closed door is not allowing the correct fuel/air ratio (usually confirmed by a roaring sound)

You can create an airway by trimming part of the w/h door flange.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Like Red T, I created a little more air circulation by cutting the flange on the W/H door at the bottom to allow for more air to enter. I also hooked up a small fan (computer DC fan) inside of the W/H to create a little more air circulation. The fan only comes on when the heater is operating on propane -- you can "rob" some 12 volt power from one of the wires that becomes "hot" when the propane starts up. The fan will not go on when using AC or DC power to heat the water.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Bob ...

There was a discussion about getting air to hot water heaters last fall ... AFChap has some good suggestions at

Air to Hot Water Heaters
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the input. This really gives me a handle on the problem. Talk to winnie today and they are saying that there is a inner door replacement. He had me measure how far the vent protruded out from the outter door. Mine measured 3/4 inch. At that point he recommended replacement of the inner door. I guess I will let them give it a try before I start making modifacations. It will probably be months before I know for sure if this fix works. Will give update then.