Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Water Heater Check Valves

So, a couple of weeks ago, cold, wind and rain chased us out of Wolverine, WI and greeted our arrival in Brooklin, OH. What didn't greet us was a hot shower. Plenty of cold water, nothing out of any hot side faucet.

I suspected a failed check valve. We carry all of the WIND schematic, drawings, etc. Also all of the tech manuals for all of our pieces parts. (Recommend everyone download and carry theirs, too.) The plumbing diagrams showed a check valve on the cold water inlet and one on the hot water outlet. Neither accessable w\o sliding the heater out.

Searched on line for a replacement - turns out they are not as common as you might think. Closest one we found to our trip track was in Marion, AR.

We changed our trip track (good to be retired) and layed up in Naval Support Activity Millington, TN - just across the river from Marion for voyage repairs.

Could not find the outlet check valve. Broke down and called a mobile repair guy. He couldn't find it either. Called Winnebago. No help. They told us what the drawing showed.

We followed the hot side line into the water bay. Getting the protective plate off is an engineering feat in itself. BUT, there the check valve was -and failed. Five minutes to replace, life improved.

The moral to this story is that I believe you should down load all your diagrams and schematics. I recommend you turn to them for guidance. But for me, once again, they have proved to be like that whacked out stop sign on Camino del Oeste -- more of a suggestion than a rule.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #2

I had the exact same experience and for 3 days had only cold shower with spirts of hot water...

I was in Brooklyn and left to get service in New Jersey, but no one would take me on a first-come-first-serve basis.

So after doing a lot of research, I pulled into a Lowe's parking lot... Removed the cover plate... Removed the failed check valves... And drilled the centers out!!!! ...Because you do NOT need them!!!!

Then I put the nipple back and reconnected the water lines.

PROBLEM SOLVED! ...COST $0. ...And I will never recommend anyone to use check valves again!

The downside is that you may need more RV-antifreeze when you winterize, but that's a small price to pay.

TIP ===> DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THE PVC NUTS OR YOU MAY CRACK THEM!!! ...And that's going to cause you much more angsts!

NOTE: When you separate the PVC there is a rubber "donut" inside, and sometimes this is why you may have a leak. So now I carry a few backup "donuts" you an get at any Camping World just in case a water leak occurs. These are the same "donuts" you need if you change your bathroom faucet.

And now I know this problem (no hot water) will never happen again!!!

Note: If I remember the check valve size was 1-1/8" so you need a big wrench and that's why I went to Lowe's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_105007.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	175671   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_095320.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	175672  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Chamber Picture.jpg