Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Our 2005 Voyage is preplumbed for a washer/dryer. We have a standard 6 gal. water heater. The dealer has stated that this will be sufficient for the washer/dryer (if we choose to install one). The Winnebago brochure clearly states that a 10 gal. water heater is required for a washer/dryer. Would appreciate comments, experiences, and suggestions on this matter.

35' Voyage-2005
RedRocker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Our 2005 Voyage is preplumbed for a washer/dryer. We have a standard 6 gal. water heater. The dealer has stated that this will be sufficient for the washer/dryer (if we choose to install one). The Winnebago brochure clearly states that a 10 gal. water heater is required for a washer/dryer. Would appreciate comments, experiences, and suggestions on this matter.

35' Voyage-2005
Old 10-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The dealer can't lose on this one. He can sell a washer and dryer now and a new water heater later when you realize the 5 gallon water heater is too small.

Concerning the technical issue, is a 5 gallon water heater big enough, I have no clue.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Living The Dream

Now keep in mind --- I (the male half of this couple) am not any kind of laundry expert! However, I know of no dryer that needs any water (hot or cold) and when I watch (from a distance) my lovely wife use the wash machine at home, she nearly always uses cold water.

My guess is your existing water heater would work fine with a little laundry management.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We have the larger Splendide 2100 in our Bus. We also have a 10 gallon hot water heater. We haven't ever had a 6 gallon water heater so I can't say for sure on how it would work. But, I do know that when we do laundry we may run it continually for a few loads. After using the washer we've still had plenty of hot water left over for other tasks so I know that it doesn't require the full 10 gallons. We also run our water heater off the electric element, which is slower than propane (but the shore power is free ). I would think that a 6 gallon water heater is probably going to work OK but you won't be doing dishes at the same time as the laundry.

Also, in a worse case scenario, you could kick on the LP water heater as well and run the higher BTU output gas fired burner as well as the electric element (it is perfectly OK to do so) at the same time. You'll get a faster recovery time.

Actually, this unit will mix both hot and cold water according to it's selected cycle for water temperature. And, unlike a residential clothes dryer, it does use hot water for drying. It somehow uses the hot water to heat the outside of the drum to aid in evapoative cooling.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm with Mark - you should be fine. The Splendide instructions even say you can plumb the thing with only cold water. DW is the laundry technician, but I know very few loads are ever washed in only hot water. Your six gallons of mixed hot/cold will go a long way.

Get the Splendide if you want - it will work well enough.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you to JD, Warren, Mark/Leanne & John. It sounds like we should be fine with the 6g! I will check out the Splendide & make a decision on a future purchase.
Thanx again all!
Larry

35' Voyage-2005
Old 10-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just a couple of points to ponder. We bought our 01 Adventurer used and I asked the dealer(non-Winnebago) to install a vented Splendide. When they got into the opening there was a sticker saying not to install a vented dryer. So we ended up with a non-vented Majestic.
1st pointThe Majestic has been a good product and the one issue we had 16 months after we bought the w/d the manufacturer replaced the whold unit and gave me another years warranty.
2nd point I am positive that if my dealer had called Winnie, they would have told him how to cut the vent without causing a problem and install a vented dryer. The vented dryers seem to work faster and that is an issue cause these things are small and take 50% longer to wash a smaller load. The Majestic was about $200 cheaper than the Splendide and I have not been able to tell much diffference in them, but the Spendide is the most common one you find in stores.C/W sells both. Several of our friends have Splendide and we compared notes on wash and dry times and they are about the same for either brand.
3rd point. Cruzer is correct about using water for the drying cycle. Mine requires that the water be own to cool the clothes so they dont wrinkle as much...they wrinkle quiet a bit because of the small drum.
All that said, we feel they are well worth the money and do an OK job. The smaller water heater should be plenty for your use.
Good Luck
SeaRay