Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ficca View Post
You are so right ! And Winnebago is the WORST for Quality control !
Far from it. Very far from it. WBGO is probably down that list of makers that are worse by a good half a dozen places.

I'd rank WBGO 4th best in design, support and quality build of motorhomes. I don't know about towables, but suspect is similar.

NOTE: This doesn't mean that any particular RV can't have serious obvious flaws. If you look you'll see owners to million dollar coaches complaining about the bad quality control.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #22
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Far from it. Very far from it. WBGO is probably down that list of makers that are worse by a good half a dozen places.

I'd rank WBGO 4th best in design, support and quality build of motorhomes. I don't know about towables, but suspect is similar.

NOTE: This doesn't mean that any particular RV can't have serious obvious flaws. If you look you'll see owners to million dollar coaches complaining about the bad quality control.
I agree. We had a THOR we rented for a long trip. The wheels we’re coming off of the wagon on that unit, and in theory most of the issues should have been resolved since it was broken in, akin to buying used.

Dare is say, without jinxing it, ours has had very little issues (I’m knocking on wood ).

I suppose it might be, like with cars, which day of the week it was started, or, finished, and how experienced the person doing some of the installs was.

Whomever built ours, had a heavy hand when it came to tightening things up, even cracked the driver cowl with their impact driver (they shipped me a new one as I promised to be more gentle). I attribute that to perhaps why we’ve had less issues than some others.
Also, ours was a later year build, so more experience? Change in some of the designs?
Old 07-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I don't know what day of the week ours was built . All I know it that the person who put the shower valve in NEVER tightened the plug on the bottom or the valve . I leaked water into the shore power compartment and took out the master disconnect switch.........which in turn took out the inverter....hence we had ZERO 110 power in the coach all the way back from Fl. And that was just the start ! It was all DOWN hill from there with this $250,000 piece of JUNK ! It spent 3.5 months at the dealer and is still not right !
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ficca View Post
I don't know what day of the week ours was built . All I know it that the person who put the shower valve in NEVER tightened the plug on the bottom or the valve . I leaked water into the shore power compartment and took out the master disconnect switch.........which in turn took out the inverter....hence we had ZERO 110 power in the coach all the way back from Fl. And that was just the start ! It was all DOWN hill from there with this $250,000 piece of JUNK ! It spent 3.5 months at the dealer and is still not right !
Tom,

I really feel bad for those, like yourself, who have these experiences. I'm so thankful that hasn't happened to me and one of the reasons my research led me to buy slightly used instead of new. One thing for certain though, and it appears to be consistent throughout the country, most dealer's service departments are less than adequate. Sales end will promise the world but once you drive it off the lot, good luck! Some dealers are better than most but I haven't had that experience. You've got a bit of a hill to climb in getting your warranty work done and then it has a possibility of needing to be redone on some things. It happens. It isn't right, but it happens. I'll suggest that once you get out of your warranty period and since your dealer seems to be in the category of maybe adequate at best, find an independent RV shop or mobile tech. My experience is that they charge less per hour (although it may take them a bit longer to get in the needed parts) and the work will be far superior than most RV dealers. If you need recommendations, contact an RV campground or two in your area and ask who they recommend. It doesn't help you right now or in the near term, but it might give you a better experience on down the road. Good luck in getting your issues resolved! I'm frustrated just hearing about it!

Al
Old 07-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #25
Site Team

First, let me say it is a shame, but the truth is when really horrendous... “stuff” happens I would bite the bullet and head to the factory service center in Iowa. Nowhere else. Certainly not to a dealer.

I know, it’s too far away and it shouldn’t be that way and all the reasons why, but it is the one best answer for your very expensive MotorHome.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

this is our 4th M/H . Second pusher ! We did have a very nice 09 Monaco Diplomat that was a dream . Unfortunately it had some issues that were not worth repairing. We traded it in to avoid having any problems on a very long trip we were planning and that was a very big mistake . I am a retired class 8 truck mechanic and have no problem working on or diagnosing anything ! I just feel that what we paid for this SH*T box that the dealer and Winnebago should be bending down and kissing my a$$ and getting it right !!!!!!!! I will NEVER own another Winnebago again ! We tried to trade it in 3 months after we bought it but could not because we did not have it ! It was at the dealer so long we forgot what it looked like !
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:53 PM   #27
Site Team

Completely understand.

None of us want to have to do this stuff ourselves. But, given the choices it's a lessor of two evils to many of us.

Hopefully, one day it will be all completed and you can enjoy it as intended. Ours is 3-years old this week and really after the 1st year and one trip to Iowa it's been only minor problems here and there. Nothing worth worrying about.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
Thru the years I have had small amounts of liquids leak into the discharge pipe behind the cap. There are a couple of solutions. I carry a quart plastic container (ice cream, cool whip etc) and place that on the ground under the cap, so that any material would drip into the container, rather than on the street surface or RV dump apron. Another way is to have one of the drain caps which has a hose barb cap at the bottom, and take that off before the main cap--catch any material which comes out in the "big sewer" hose...which is already hooked up to the dump station.

Good idea. I think I'll start doing that too. Haven't seen it in this thread so far, but one of the more common reasons I've seen on this and other RV sites for the water behind the cap is condensation.

I'm not sure I support that notion but I suppose it may be feasible. In the case of my Minnie Winne, the better part of a coffee cup of water comes out of just a two foot length of pipe between the cap and the dump valve. Seems a bit much to be condensation.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:08 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I have owned a Heartland 5th wheel, a Forester Class C, and now a 2019 Winnebago Vista 29VE.

The sewer pipe has leaked on all of them. I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And problem is solved.

I bought my Vista new and dealer fixed all the very minor problems except radio reception.

All the manufacturers make middle and cheap models. I just wish they would offer more upgrades so my Vista would arrive all ready rather than me having to add the many suspension upgrades, solar, and Lithium batteries.
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

The RV we had before our Forza was a Georgetown with two bathrooms. Unlike the Forza with one black and two grey tanks, the Georgetown had two of each and two storage compartments dedicated to sewage. The rear bathroom pipe would always leak a little when I opened the cap. We took apart the valves and found a piece of linoleum in the valve that was the same pattern as that installed in the bathrooms. Valve seat looked fine (linoleum was fairly soft) so we put it back in and it was leak free after that. The guy that put in the rear toilet probably lost that piece when he cut the hole in the floor. Where did he think it was going to go? I bought the Forza as a second owner and problems so far were failure of the front AC unit, replaced at no charge. I would never buy new after reading IRV2.

Tags
vent, water