Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Filters

I have the 2014 Itasca Meridian 40U. I have owned the coach for 8 months and although I have only used the coach a max of 4 months, I am replacing all the water filters.

The one in the belly of the coach where you hook up the hose, was a breeze to find (Lowes). I replaced it with a charcoal filter but someone told me in the future to replace it with a regular filter since you still want city chlorine to go into the holding tank in order to reduce the chance of mold. Kind of makes sense? You only want the filter to stop debris at its source... Please let me know your thoughts.... Thanks...

Anyhow, replacing the cartridge under the sink will not be easy. No cartridges at Lowes, Home Depot, Camping World. I found the 3M Under Sink Water Filter Model A1 online for about $67 per cartridge. What amazed me, the Lowes 3M Under Sink Water Filter 3US-AF01H appears to be identical to the A1 and it has the same specs as the A1 for only $22 per cartridge. It's good for 2000 gallons, 5 micron, etc. The Lowes 3M cartridge has a small notch on the side that keeps it from locking into the same kit as the A1, otherwise, the same.

To me it sounds logical that I should replace the system in the coach and install the Lowes 3M kit (3US-AF01H), including cartridge, for $39 and then replace the cartridge for $22 every 6 months. Quite a savings from $67 per cartridge and a lot easier to find the cartridges.

Can anyone give me a reason why my logical thinking is screwed up?

Thanks in advance for responses...
Old 01-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Grumpy- View Post
I have the 2014 Itasca Meridian 40U. I have owned the coach for 8 months and although I have only used the coach a max of 4 months, I am replacing all the water filters.

The one in the belly of the coach where you hook up the hose, was a breeze to find (Lowes). I replaced it with a charcoal filter but someone told me in the future to replace it with a regular filter since you still want city chlorine to go into the holding tank in order to reduce the chance of mold. Kind of makes sense? You only want the filter to stop debris at its source... Please let me know your thoughts.... Thanks...

Anyhow, replacing the cartridge under the sink will not be easy. No cartridges at Lowes, Home Depot, Camping World. I found the 3M Under Sink Water Filter Model A1 online for about $67 per cartridge. What amazed me, the Lowes 3M Under Sink Water Filter 3US-AF01H appears to be identical to the A1 and it has the same specs as the A1 for only $22 per cartridge. It's good for 2000 gallons, 5 micron, etc. The Lowes 3M cartridge has a small notch on the side that keeps it from locking into the same kit as the A1, otherwise, the same.

To me it sounds logical that I should replace the system in the coach and install the Lowes 3M kit (3US-AF01H), including cartridge, for $39 and then replace the cartridge for $22 every 6 months. Quite a savings from $67 per cartridge and a lot easier to find the cartridges.

Can anyone give me a reason why my logical thinking is screwed up?

Thanks in advance for responses...
I can't argue with your logic, but I can suggest you shop online at: www.rvupgrades.com .

I just ordered the 3M A-1 filter from them on 1/21/16 for less than $32.00 and it arrived yesterday.

Good prices and excellent service from the online retailer owned by the guy that started iRV2.com and kept it running thru the lean years out of his pocket. For that reason I try not to shop at CW.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I can't argue with your logic, but I can suggest you shop online at: www.rvupgrades.com .

I just ordered the 3M A-1 filter from them on 1/21/16 for less than $32.00 and it arrived yesterday.

Good prices and excellent service from the online retailer owned by the guy that started iRV2.com and kept it running thru the lean years out of his pocket. For that reason I try not to shop at CW.
Hi EDGRAY,

Thank you for your response. Actually, before even reading your post, I saw a link buried deep in the forum that recommended "rvupgrades.com". I went to the website, found the filter for $45 (not $32 ) but I was still happy since it was $67. I ordered 2 which should keep me going for a year. Thanks again...

Rick
Old 01-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The last one I bought was early this month from Amazon. It was by CUNO, $34.25 delivered.

I notice it is out of stock at the moment.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

not sure if they have the one you need but I use - filtersfast.com for years when I need home fridge, microwave and humidifier filters. Always had good delivery and decent prices.

I have looked at rvupgrades.com and probably will be purchasing some items on my list from them.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Hi EDGRAY,

Thank you for your response. Actually, before even reading your post, I saw a link buried deep in the forum that recommended "rvupgrades.com". I went to the website, found the filter for $45 (not $32 ) but I was still happy since it was $67. I ordered 2 which should keep me going for a year. Thanks again...

Rick
Sorry Rick, I didn't notice that yours is an "A-1" cartridge, whereas mine is a smaller-looking "A" cartridge. That explains the price difference at RVU.

I remain frustrated that WBGO uses these under-sink systems that require us to buy hard to find and more expensive replacements rather than using systems that are widely available at lower "operating" cost.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
not sure if they have the one you need but I use - filtersfast.com for years when I need home fridge, microwave and humidifier filters. Always had good delivery and decent prices.

I have looked at rvupgrades.com and probably will be purchasing some items on my list from them.
I've been buying from RVU for years. I think they almost always have the best pricing, and prompt shipping / great service is the norm.

I recently ordered a Blue OX base plate and toad wiring harness from RVU. Lowest price I found anywhere, and the equipment arrived in 4 days.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The Lowes 3M cartridge has a small notch on the side that keeps it from locking into the same kit as the A1, otherwise, the same.
I had a 3M filter on my Itasca 2008 Itasca Cambria. It was a "whole house filter" and larger than the C filter on my Journey. In the interests of science and saving $$$$, bought one of the Lowes 3M filters. Like you described, there was a notch in the wrong place for the holder on the RV. I cut it off with a sharp knife - it was about 1/4" wide - and it was the perfect fit in the holder. You might want to consider purchasing one from Lowes and comparing it with one you have to see if the notch can be cut off. If it isn't close, you can always return it. Mine did not leak after I cut the notch off and was as secure in the holder as the original cartridge. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water