Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Fill level

When the indicator light says full of course it is not. I let it run until I hear water spilling under the coach. Is that the overflow on the tank and is that how I know it if full?
Old 05-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Exactly.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Exactly.
Thank you.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

While I can see one side of the fresh water tank and see the water level I fill it while doing other chores and shut it off when I hear it spilling out. Too boring to sit and monitor the level.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

jerboy if you are using the city water fill valve make sure the gravity fill door is open. While the water is running out the overflow tube it will also move up the gravity fill tube and there is a notch cut in the wall of the gravity fill box that will let water into the motorhome if the door is closed. Be there done that.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There's a potential problem with using the city water inlet to fill the water tank to overflowing. The water pressure can burst the tank since it is not rated for any internal pressure, and the overflow hose is much smaller than your water hose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
jerboy if you are using the city water fill valve make sure the gravity fill door is open. While the water is running out the overflow tube it will also move up the gravity fill tube and there is a notch cut in the wall of the gravity fill box that will let water into the motorhome if the door is closed. Be there done that.
I don't see a "gravity fill door". The ONLY way I see to fill the tank is thru a connected hose and the valve in the tank fill position. I did wonder how I would put any water treatment in the tank. Guess I could fill the hose with the treatment then connect it and fill with city pressure.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
I don't see a "gravity fill door". The ONLY way I see to fill the tank is thru a connected hose and the valve in the tank fill position. I did wonder how I would put any water treatment in the tank. Guess I could fill the hose with the treatment then connect it and fill with city pressure.
Not all models have gravity fill. They did away with it in all models about 10 years ago. I call the ones that have it the Bundy option. I raised so much hell about it not being available when I bought my 2011 Vista 26P in 2010 that they started making standard equipment on some models. I had my dealer install gravity fill on my 2011 before I took delivery. It is standard equipment on my 2016 Vista 30T. I would be very careful about filling the fresh water tank to overfill if you do not have the gravity fill cap removed. As others have stated, you could rupture the tank.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfbundy View Post
Not all models have gravity fill. They did away with it in all models about 10 years ago. I call the ones that have it the Bundy option. I raised so much hell about it not being available when I bought my 2011 Vista 26P in 2010 that they started making standard equipment on some models. I had my dealer install gravity fill on my 2011 before I took delivery. It is standard equipment on my 2016 Vista 30T. I would be very careful about filling the fresh water tank to overfill if you do not have the gravity fill cap removed. As others have stated, you could rupture the tank.
NOW AIN'T THAT A FINE HOW DO YOU DO!!!!!! Sounds like someone trying to save me from myself.

Thanks for the replies Folks. A never ending learning process isn't it!!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

If you are filling and water starts running out when you fill it to the max then the overflow tube is NOT capped. That said if you are using the city water connection in the fill position to fill your tank it is possible WITH high water pressure to be flowing water into the tank at a rate FASTER than it can exit the overflow tube and then start pressurizing the tank. This is when the tank could burst or the lines from the tank to the inlet side of the water pump could pop off.

I figured out how full I can fill it without it running out the overflow when driving down the road driving up a hill and put a black line with a Sharpie Perm. Marker at that point. I only fill to there to not waste water and to save weight in the rig. If parked and driving only level roads you can fill to the top.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
If you are filling and water starts running out when you fill it to the max then the overflow tube is NOT capped. That said if you are using the city water connection in the fill position to fill your tank it is possible WITH high water pressure to be flowing water into the tank at a rate FASTER than it can exit the overflow tube and then start pressurizing the tank. This is when the tank could burst or the lines from the tank to the inlet side of the water pump could pop off.

I figured out how full I can fill it without it running out the overflow when driving down the road driving up a hill and put a black line with a Sharpie Perm. Marker at that point. I only fill to there to not waste water and to save weight in the rig. If parked and driving only level roads you can fill to the top.
Thanks Randy. The marker on the tank level is a good idea.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

When I fill my water tank, the only option I have is the city water value. In an effort to fill the tank completely and prevent anything from bursting, I use a water pressure regulator (like you normally would on your water hose when connected to city water). I figure the lines/tank will be fine at 40/50 pounds of pressure.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have only used the city water fill although I do have a gravity fill. I set mine to fill to 95% and press the autofill button and walk away.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Exactly.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
When I fill my water tank, the only option I have is the city water value. In an effort to fill the tank completely and prevent anything from bursting, I use a water pressure regulator (like you normally would on your water hose when connected to city water). I figure the lines/tank will be fine at 40/50 pounds of pressure.
You assume the tank is designed for 50 psi internal pressure. Although you could be right, if you are wrong and rupture it, the repair bill will be thousands of dollars. Personally I will not take that risk. If I did not have a large vent through gravity fill, I would be very careful to never over fill the tank.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfbundy View Post
You assume the tank is designed for 50 psi internal pressure. Although you could be right, if you are wrong and rupture it, the repair bill will be thousands of dollars. Personally I will not take that risk. If I did not have a large vent through gravity fill, I would be very careful to never over fill the tank.
I am definitely not an expert in this area. Having said that, if the tank cannot hold 40/50 PSI (the same pressure as the water lines throughout my motorhome) as I am filling it to full, than Winnebago should be ashamed of themselves. I have done this several times and have not had an issue (knock on wood). I do not see how Winnebago could expect anything less. I do not believe I am being careless in anyway (IMHO).
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There's a potential problem with using the city water inlet to fill the water tank to overflowing. The water pressure can burst the tank since it is not rated for any internal pressure, and the overflow hose is much smaller than your water hose.
Has anyone EVER popped their fresh water tank? Or known anyone that has? Perhaps we are worried about something that has not happened or is even possible!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I am definitely not an expert in this area. Having said that, if the tank cannot hold 40/50 PSI (the same pressure as the water lines throughout my motorhome) as I am filling it to full, than Winnebago should be ashamed of themselves. I have done this several times and have not had an issue (knock on wood). I do not see how Winnebago could expect anything less. I do not believe I am being careless in anyway (IMHO).
I am absolutely certain the fresh water tank in your coach is not rated to 50psi, It's not even rated to 10psi. Square tanks of this constructions are not rated to handle any kind of pressure at all. These types of tanks are typically vented with an overflow on the top of the tank(s) that dumps to the ground when the tank(s) are full.

When filling your tank using city water pressure (upwards of 50psi) and likely 10-15GPM you should shut off the fill line immediately once water comes out of the vent.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water