Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Waste Tank Sensor Fallen Off

I've done some searching and found nothing on this, one of my black tank sensors has fallen off.

Is there any specific glue I need to use to put it back on?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Waste Tank Sensor Fallen Off

I suggest calling a Winnebago Tech Advisor at their main company number (check website). An easy question and answer for those guys based on my previous calls to them in the past.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Please update us when you get the answer.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

They said to use two sided tape - the clear kind. Remove the old tape first. He also said that if anyone of the sensors does not read, the tank will show 1/3 always.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had several detach. Winnebago used "goop" which lasted weeks. I ended up taking the front off the service compartment and re-attached the sensors in the proper position using the red 3M weatherproof double sided tape and have had no problems since. The tape is a little thicker but works fine and much stronger than standard tape. You might want to use the tape to secure the ones that haven't fallen off yet while you are in there.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I had several detach. Winnebago used "goop" which lasted weeks. I ended up taking the front off the service compartment and re-attached the sensors in the proper position using the red 3M weatherproof double sided tape and have had no problems since. The tape is a little thicker but works fine and much stronger than standard tape. You might want to use the tape to secure the ones that haven't fallen off yet while you are in there.
The tape I used is 3M indoor/outdoor double sided clear - it has red backing.

How did you know the proper position? I've looked throughout the electrical and plumbing schematic and found nothing on it.

My black and grey tanks look to have a thin tape except the one that has fallen off which had a thick goop of silicon looking material. All three sensors on the black are stacked vertically on the right side of the tank.

The grey tank has one on the far lower left, one centered in the middle and this one which appeared to have been on the upper right. That one had a thick goop on it. The WBGO tech told me to use thin clear double sided tape.

Hopefully this fix will stick
Old 03-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Mike:
I used the same tape with red backing but tape was a grey color as I recall. They should be at the 1/3, 2/3 and full positions which you have to "guesstimate". Put my black-full slightly below to have warning. Since the bottoms of my tanks were smaller than the upper part, you wont likely get them exact. Mine have stayed in place for almost 3 years with the 3M tape and although it is thicker, it does not impair operation. I would replace the ones with "goop" as mine fell off after the first winter. Good luck,
Old 03-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Mike:
I used the same tape with red backing but tape was a grey color as I recall. They should be at the 1/3, 2/3 and full positions which you have to "guesstimate". Put my black-full slightly below to have warning. Since the bottoms of my tanks were smaller than the upper part, you wont likely get them exact. Mine have stayed in place for almost 3 years with the 3M tape and although it is thicker, it does not impair operation. I would replace the ones with "goop" as mine fell off after the first winter. Good luck,
I have some of that 3M tape too, but its solid so how does the sensor work through it?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The sensors are electrical not optical so there is no requirement for clear tape. I don't know if they measure capacitance or are more complex but mine work fine with the grey tape.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I read somewhere that the tanks have dimples where the sensors should be placed.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I read somewhere that the tanks have dimples where the sensors should be placed.
I didn't notice any, but there was residue on both tanks from previous placements. Looks like its been an issue in the past.

Tags
tank