Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Connecting a 20 # Propane Tank to the quick connect on a Vista. I have done it and it does work. I did as follows. That said I no longer do this, I went ahead and did Extend-A-Stay as it is MUCH safer. I explain why at the very end of this post ...

= I bought a high flow two stage regulator at a RV supply store. This takes the raw propane vapor that comes out of the propane tank at between 20 PSI and 80 PSI depending on the temperature and reduces the pressure to about 10 inch water col. pressure. You want to make sure to get a HIGH FLOW 2 stage regulator a cheap one made for BBQ grills won't give enough flow and not all BBQ grill regulators output the required 10" WC pressure.

= I bought flex hose and fittings to connect to the quick connect.

= To use, you turn off the valve on the internal propane tank, connect the 20 # tank to the quick connect, open the valve at the quick connect on the RV, and open the valve on the 20 # tank.

The major CON of doing this is that the propane is flowing thru the quick connect backwards. When propane is going thru the quick connect in the normal direction if there is no male line in the quick connect there is a spring loaded valve that is closed so no propane vapor leaks into the air. In the reverse direction there is no valve and propane vapor will flow at a high rate if the male connector comes out of the quick connect. FIRE HAZARD.

By the time you buy the high flow 2 stage regulator, required hoses and fittings you will have already spent almost the same $$ as buying the Extend-A-Stay system. With Extend-A-Stay you are connecting to the high pressure side of the existing RV regulator so you don't buy another 2 stage high flow regulator.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane