Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Hello, how many of you travel with a full tank of freshwater?

I know I will need to go to the scales after I fill our freshwater tank (95 gallons) and see what we weigh in at.

The reason I ask is we attend festivals where there are not any hookups available.
Where do you get 95 gallons?

Book says 90. I know that's not much but 40+ LBS would be equal to a little person or a fur baby

We travel full the majority of the time. Never know when you might need a lot of water

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #42
Winnebago Watcher

The wife always wants a full tank when we depart.... I want a half tank...but then "If mama's aint happy, nobody's happy!
crtrrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Do you think it's possible to go to 100 posts on this topic?
Can I add my $.02 as well?
---

My 60 gallon FW Tank is never full for very long as the motion sloshing always drains some out so... "full" = 55gal (x8.3lb/gal) = 456lbs

Assuming that no one EVER goes completely dry then the issue is about the incremental difference of approximately 1/3 full vs "full" full during those exceptional or shorter trips where it isn't planned to be needed...
that 20gallons you'll still tote around (x8.3) = 166lbs

Anyone who really believes that the 300lbs will make a significant difference in mileage or handling or anything else... should probably look into shedding 300 lbs in some other way so their rig is always 300lbs lighter.
---

Count me in the Boy Scout Column

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #44

I used to be that Cheap guy that never carryed water;; just enough to get by; Well I used to;;;; Twice I pulled into parks and filled up the tank with out teasting the water First, And filled the tank 100+ gallons It took us over a year to get the tanks cleaned out; It stank tarribale;; It's a smell everyone needs to have in there tanks. And you all need to get the runs from that strange water;; Then tell every one how you saved a few pennies by not carring that extra weight;; My motorhome never leaves home unless it's full. at the park i hook up to the water to see if it's drinkable;; Or we just use it for that shower, that is sometimes questianable ;;; life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #45
Winnie-Wise

We travel with another couple who never carry any water, I'm never asked why. We have broken down twice and spent a couple of nights in parking lots waiting for repairs to be completed. Thank God we had water in the tank.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Batchelar,

You should install a water filter on your city water fill so that it will take care of your water problems.

I use a whole house water filter I purchased at Lowes with a male and female hose adapter on it. I then built a box to keep the filter out of UV rays and the weather. The cartridge does not have to be changed as often as an inline filter. In case you don't want to do that then I suggest you get an inline filter which goes in line with the hose and can or not connect to the city fill connection.
For drinking water there is another filter on a separate tap at the kitchen sink.
Hope this solves your problem and keep your water tank filled up as you never know what or where you will be.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hello, how many of you travel with a full tank of freshwater?

I know I will need to go to the scales after I fill our freshwater tank (95 gallons) and see what we weigh in at.

The reason I ask is we attend festivals where there are not any hookups available.
I usually have mine full, especially if heading for dry camping or heading home. At home its our earthquake backup plan, providing I could get it out of nearby storage, providing the 'big one' is not quite the 'big one'.

But, with overflow it may only be 90 gals and that much weight in few hundred pounds does not seem any difference as far as I can tell. My feeling is to do what you want to and not worry about the small stuff.

Bob

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
B...I use a whole house water filter I purchased at Lowes with a male and female hose adapter on it. I then built a box to keep the filter out of UV rays and the weather...
That is what we do, except we also have a sediment filter in addition to the 0.5 micro filter. I simply stored my filter in a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom and a snap on lid. For winter use, I slide a piece of Reflectix around the sides/top/bottom with a section of pipe heat tape tossed inside. The pipes extend out the sides of the bucket with garden hose quick connects on them.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #49
Winnebago Camper

We always travel with at least a 1/2 tank. You should be able to find somewhere to fill tank. But when I'm going dry camping I leave with a full tank unless I'm going a very long distance like from Texas to Quartzite...I cannot tell any diff in fuel mileage or power with full tank.
Mike & Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #50
Winnebago Owner

Almost always have a full tank. It starts out full and when it gets to 1/2 I fill it up.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #51
Winnie-Wise

WOW .. Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting on seeing how people travel. Most of our outings in the past have been dry camping (festivals & races) so we have traveled with a full tank. Remember that I had a Jayco 23b before the Winnebago and it only held under 30 gallons.

If we go to a place that has water hookup then I would travel with less.

I am anxious to see the weight of the Adventurer when fully loaded. Does anyone know the "dry" weight of a 04 Adventurer 33V?

How often do all of you visit the scales?

Thanks again..
Old 01-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #52

Interesting responces;; OH our name is BACHLER.. Some like to hide there name, I say why ?? are you ashamed of it ??? 2 things really stand out, #1 the misspelling of our name, And #2 the one that traveled to Alaska Up 1/2 tank Back home the Los Angles Full tank , And getting the same mileage; That has been our experiance also; So I womder why Does any one only fill 1/2 tank. Tell me again sosI'll understand.. Life is good.. OH to somes Interest we do have a filters Several filters; some things can not be filtered out;; Unless you have a treatment plant with you.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #53
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Right you are, Randy, a full tank (mine is 100 gal) is like hauling 5 or 6 extra people around all the time. 830 pounds. 1/4 tank lets me use the 'essentials" til I get somewhere.

Times Two, less is better, there's a lot of places to get water and we carry our own drinking water anyway. Good luck,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #54
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
WOW .. Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting on seeing how people travel. Most of our outings in the past have been dry camping (festivals & races) so we have traveled with a full tank. Remember that I had a Jayco 23b before the Winnebago and it only held under 30 gallons.

If we go to a place that has water hookup then I would travel with less.

I am anxious to see the weight of the Adventurer when fully loaded. Does anyone know the "dry" weight of a 04 Adventurer 33V?

How often do all of you visit the scales?

Thanks again..
Bug152, I pretty much have the same rig as you as you can tell by my signature, but I thought I saw somewhere that you have the 22k GVW chassis, where I have the 20,700. I weigh mine anytime I make a significant change to anything. Weigh four corners if possible, but other wise at least each axle.

With my wife, dog (Golden Retriever), and I, full tank of fuel, no water (all tanks), half a tank of propane, no food, and no clothing, my last weights were as follows;

Front axle; 7500 GAWR Actual; 6200 lbs.

Rear axle; 13500 GAWR Actual; 12200 lbs.

Total Weight; 20,700 Actual; 18400 lbs.

Total CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity); 2300 lbs.

Tire Pressures: Rear; 80 psi Front; 90 (yours will be higher if you have the 22" wheels)

I always travel with 1/3 tank of FW, as I never dry camp. I love my showers and 110V via shore line. Using up almost half of my CCC with water seems a waste to me. I don't care about mpg, I didn't buy it as an economy vehicle, but I do care about weight. Many motorhomes are overweight from the get go, an example would be the front axle on most tag units. They advertise because of the rear tag you can add another 10k lbs to your CCC, not true if your front axle is already at GAWR. The tag axle makes it worse by acting as a fulcrum and moving more weight to the front axle. They are now putting larger axles that exceed the federal maximum of 20k lbs. How a manufacturer can get away with that is beyond me. What is my point, I don't want to be at or above my GVW, or GAWR so I load my rig accordingly. I have driven trucks all my life, and heavier is never better.

If I break down, I treat the wife to a stay at a local B&B, thats why I have a tow car. I have progressive insurance, and if I break down away from home they will provide me with a stipend for a room, spending cash, and an allowance for a rental car if needed while repairs are being made. Plus they have a great towing and emergency road service policy. I have stayed on site of a few repair facilities, not my preference, of course neither is a Walmart parking lot. Make the best out of a breakdown on the road, consider it an adventure!

I also have a filter at the hose bib, and one under my sink, and I carry bottled water for drinking. The USA has strict water guidelines, and I promise you won't get sick from it, unless your camping near a land fill or a sewage spill, this ain't Mexico! You may have some sediment, but thats why we filter it.

If in deed you do have the 22k GVW chassis, you will probably have a little more CCC, just remember the bigger chassis will eat up some of that additional weight carrying capacity. Weigh your rig to find out for sure.

As stated by others, it is all about personal choice, listen to others then make your own decision on what works for you. See you on the road
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #55
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Gregg & Lynn. I do have the 20,700 chassis. Thanks for the detailed information of your coach. Looks like you can cary 2,000 pounds of cloths and groceries and still be OK ! I also did a couple of years on our local volunteer FD and worked at the academy.

I'm nervous, you mention breakdowns.. I have been very lucky, eight years, two campers and roughly towing 40,000 miles and I never had a breakdown, not even a flat tire.

Well I will have to wait until March when I can load the rest of our belongings that we had in the travel trailer and then fill it up with water and fuel.

Then head to the scales and see what the survey says.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #56
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks Gregg & Lynn.

I'm nervous, you mention breakdowns.. I have been very lucky, eight years, two campers and roughly towing 40,000 miles and I never had a breakdown, not even a flat tire.
Hi Gene, let me reiterate. I said "if". I have yet to have a mechanical breakdown on the road, EVER. Probably in the last 30 years and 4 RVs, I have never needed to be towed. Knock on wood

Just like many on this forum, I like to be prepared. I do most of my own maintenance with exception of tasks that require a lift, tire machines, well you get the picture. Don't be nervous, you take care of it, and it will take care of you. I ordered mine new in December of '02, it has been an awesome coach. Last year we did a round trip from Lake Tahoe, CA to Walt Disney World and stayed for three months in between (lots of vacation and shift trades!) and never had an issue. I now have 30k miles on the clock. Lynn and I will be retiring from the FD next year, and start in this one full time. To many changes all at once to leave the FD, sell the house, AND buy a new coach, probably a 42' tag with a bath and a half. But the ol' Suncruiser will do just fine for the first year or so.

I feel I know this coach very well. If you ever need any help or questions, please feel free to message me. Here is a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WDW Dec 2009 040.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	7504  
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #57
Winnebago Owner

I use a rule of thumb of 10-12 gallons of water per day for up to a week anything longer and I fill the tank.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #58
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
always full when you get 5 to 6 mpg what difference does it make? poundwise and penny foolish
That's the way I see it - odd that we get hysterical about sleeping in motel beds - and yet will drink water from sources we know NOTHING about!

I'll gladly pay the few cents it costs to take our OWN local water along with us - if it hasn't killed us or made us sick here at home, chances are we'll be OK drinking it out on the road, too...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #59
Winnie-Wise

Thanks FDChief, I did try to message you (to thank you) but it looks like that is not a option. Maybe your mailbox is full?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #60
Winnebago Camper

Unless going to a destination where we will dry camp (very rare) we carry 1/2 tank or less. At 8.35lbs per gallon, can't see any advantage of carrying the extra weight if not really necessary, but I see nothing wrong traveling with a full tank.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote