Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Totally mystified - Water Leak

Totally mystified at water on our carpet in our 24 foot class c. Water appears at the middle of the couch radiating outwards but does not extend to the water pipes in the kitchen nor the window. Any way water might seep in somewhere we are not aware of?
2008-view-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

YES, lots of ways for water to do strange things. About the only thing that we do expect water to do is work it's way downhill but that move can often be sideways at many points. One way is under the door, across the floor under the carpeting until it comes out where you step on it to notice!
Another is in around the top of a window where it is deflected by the window frame to go over to the side and down to come out at floor level but behind the couch where nobody spots it until it gets to the front where you step on it with bare feet and notice.
My first go at solution is to look at EVERY joint and seam on the outside and ask if there is space for water to get in. If our RV is over a few years old, the answer is almost always yes! Sealing and caulking is a full time job if we want it right.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-view-24 View Post
Totally mystified at water on our carpet in our 24 foot class c. Water appears at the middle of the couch radiating outwards but does not extend to the water pipes in the kitchen nor the window. Any way water might seep in somewhere we are not aware of?
Water goes where it wants to. It might seem unpredictable, yet it’s entirely predictable. Why, because water follows the laws of physics. It will always take the path of least resistance, like electricity. That said, it can do one thing unusual, that may seem to defy those very laws, when it wicks up into another area, and there’s the tricky part about it not showing up where you might expect it.

For example, we had a house for sale with a leak, that we finally diagnosed as being from outside the front porch, that was not flashed correctly. Yet the water showed up down the hallway two rooms away, and wicked up into the walls. Why? Because the hallways had a vapor barrier—enough resistance so that the water just kept on going—following the path of least resistance—until it found an outlet—30’ away.

With a carpeted floor. It's even more hard to discern the origination of the source, since you can’t see what’s going on underneath the carpet.

You gave a clue as to your floor plan, and relative “wetness” in the proximity to plumbing. so I’m going to throw out a guess.

I’d look at the plumbing under the shower/bath area. It may be seeping, as Morich said, into another area—seemingly nowhere near the leak.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This is a long shot, but IF you're running A/C right now there's a possibility that the condensate drain is plugged and the water is dripping from your A/C.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

x2 for davismills

I had it happen to me from the AC, not only was the drain hole plugged the AC did not have a tight fit onto the roof. I cleaned the hole and tightened the 4 screws holding the AC down. Problem solved
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I discovered my AC dripping. Usually this can be an easy fix.

Tags
leak, water, water leak