Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Toilet Problem

We have just started experiencing a problem with the toilet in our 09 SunCruiser Model 35P. It's as if the toilet is backing up, which I don't understand because I thought it was a straight shot to the Black Tank! What could possibly be causing the back-up? Is there actually a goose neck between the Toilet and the Tank? Sometime it works fine and when you look down the drain you can see water going down, other times you can see the water level is just below the bottom of the Toilet bowl level, but even with the water running it never seems to fill above that level. But, twice now it has backed up and I had to take a plunger to it. When it starts seeming to fill to just below the bowl, I can take the plunger and give it a couple good plunges and it will go back to normal for a while, but then it's back to the standing water just below the bowl again. Ant suggestions as to what could be causing this? Thanks...
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like you may be experiencing the dreaded "brown pile".
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You might want to consider purchasing one of those toilet wands and spray the tank from inside the coach..
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_P View Post
We have just started experiencing a problem with the toilet in our 09 SunCruiser Model 35P. It's as if the toilet is backing up, which I don't understand because I thought it was a straight shot to the Black Tank! What could possibly be causing the back-up? Is there actually a goose neck between the Toilet and the Tank? Sometime it works fine and when you look down the drain you can see water going down, other times you can see the water level is just below the bottom of the Toilet bowl level, but even with the water running it never seems to fill above that level. But, twice now it has backed up and I had to take a plunger to it. When it starts seeming to fill to just below the bowl, I can take the plunger and give it a couple good plunges and it will go back to normal for a while, but then it's back to the standing water just below the bowl again. Ant suggestions as to what could be causing this? Thanks...
"Piling"....use less paper and more water.....when flushing hold foot pedal down for the count of 5 after poo and/or TP use. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

*heh* yeah, it sure sounds as if you're experiencing the "dreaded pile of poo" -syndrome. If you are using your toilet when the coach is sitting in a stationary position for a long period of time and/or (and I'm assuming you're not doing this because it appears you are an experienced RVer) are leaving your black tank valve open, as others have said, you must use a LOT of water per flush to make sure that you don't start accumulating the DPofP.

If you are constantly on the road, then everything is usually getting sloshed around so the DPofP isn't really getting a chance to accumulate. If you are on the road and still having that kind of problem, then something something else is going on or blocking.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The problem is caused by not enough water on the flush. I carry a wooden dowel rod along for this problem. The waste doesn't go right into the tank. It has to make a short 90. With the toilet held in the flushing position push the waste into the tank. I think its towards the rear of the toilet. Flush good with water a few times & your set until the next time. I used a toilet bowl cleaner with beach to clean the dowel rod.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from MN View Post
The problem is caused by not enough water on the flush. I carry a wooden dowel rod along for this problem. The waste doesn't go right into the tank. It has to make a short 90. With the toilet held in the flushing position push the waste into the tank. I think its towards the rear of the toilet. Flush good with water a few times & your set until the next time. I used a toilet bowl cleaner with beach to clean the dowel rod.
That must depend on the model. Both of my Winnebagos have had a straight drop into the black tank.

I hope the OP is not leaving the back tank drain valve open. If so that is not a good idea. It is best to leave it closed until the tank is at least 3/4 full and then dump it. That provides plenty of liquid to move any solids out.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

My toilet is on the passenger side of the motorhome and the drain is on the driver's side. The holding tank is tapered so that it is deep on the driver's side and narrow on the passenger's side. This means that it appears to be about 4" - 5" deep under the toilet. It doesn't take much solid waste to pile up under the toilet and cause a problem like you are describing. It takes a LOT of water to fill the tank far enough to put water under the toilet which might help the solids move to the deeper part of the tank. The only solution that I have found is to use lots of water in the toilet. I probably use a quart or more of water every time that I use it. Then I look down the toilet hole and if I can see waste underneath, then I fill the toilet up to about the inlet and let this huge amount of water flush away the waste. This seems to work for us and we still can go 4 - 5 days before having to dump the black water tank.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

This works for me.

When I dump, I back flush (built into the MH) and watching the clear elbow, when the water starts running clean I ask the DW to fill the bowl and flush when the bowl is full. She does that twice. The volume of water rushing down will turn what was clear water into dirty water as I watch it at the elbow. The last time I flushed she had to do it 5 times. As indicated, you may have to do something to break up that DPofP, the try the flush procedure. They make a product that you can add to the tank to break up the DPofP. I have not had to use it.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
This works for me.

When I dump, I back flush (built into the MH) and watching the clear elbow, when the water starts running clean I ask the DW to fill the bowl and flush when the bowl is full. She does that twice. The volume of water rushing down will turn what was clear water into dirty water as I watch it at the elbow. The last time I flushed she had to do it 5 times. As indicated, you may have to do something to break up that DPofP, the try the flush procedure. They make a product that you can add to the tank to break up the DPofP. I have not had to use it.

Good luck.
Wayne,

I use this technique too! It works for me, too. I thought about mentioning this in a earlier post, but couldn't say it as good as you!!! Thanks!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Lots and lots of water. Also when dumping the black tank at a campsite I flush the tank several times until the clear sight glass shows clear water. The tank gets filled through the flushing mechanisms then I pull the flush valve as many times as needed until it runs clear sometimes this takes 30 minutes or more. Always use a clear sight glass, pulling the valve once does NOT get the tank clean.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

To prevent the build up remember to use the procedure of lifting the pedal prior to flushing such that the poo and paper float and only then step down to let it go!

the described procedure was received from a Winnie service manager when I had a unit similar to yours and eliminated problems.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from MN View Post
Me too. Exactly. On our 35J, there is a 90deg bend and that's where paper gets stuck. I use the short awning rod that we never use for the awning: metal and easily washed in the shower.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Make sure you have a good vent to tank they do drop down into tank at times as also the pipe into floor flange will sometimes drop out of it if someone forgot to glue it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I found that the "Wand" that attaches to a garden hose to be very good at getting those reluctant pieces of poop to move along. It seems that occasionally some waste takes to the high ground and semi dries there. Once this happens it takes a lot of water to loosen it enough to slide out. The wand gives you force as well as water to accomplish this. As mentioned above, NEVER leave your dump valve open to the sewer line. As mentioned on another thread that I asked about, I always put about two or three gallons into my toilet before I leave home. Some RVers say they never do that and have had no problems but the first few uses of the toilet after a dump means there is almost no water and things can get sticky until the water level rises enough to slosh around. Damn! I feel like going to dinner.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote