Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Toilet plumbing problem - 2014 Itasca Sunstar 30t

I'm hoping that someone out there can give us some advice. The toilet flushes without any problems, but after camping only three days with two people, the waste seems to get stuck in the black pipe that is immediately visible when you flush the toilet. The black water tank is not full and only registers 1/3. Even after emptying black water tank the waste is still visible under the tank flusher. We used the end of a garden hose as a 'snake' and the waste eventually 'dropped' into the tank and flowed freely. However, the same problem took place the following day and we are certain that the black tank was nowhere near full. Yes, we are using RV specific toilet paper and there are no children who have thrown the toilet down the hole. All input is greatly appreciated.
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

jerztime That is referred to as a toilet paper tepee. If you are trying to dry camping this is hard to prevent. It takes water to keep things moving along. If you have placed paper in the bowel fill to bowel with more water before flushing. If you are trying to save on fresh water bring in a gal bucket of water dump it in once a day. I have a stick I keep in the wet bay to move things out of the way sometimes. I just checked the plumbing drawing and the 30T and a little offset in to down pipe which does not help.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We don't pull the lever on the black tank till it shows at least 3/4 full. Here's a great hint also - we don't do dishes directly in the kitchen sink but rather we use a basin which we pour into the black tank when we are done. I use a basin to shave in as well and that is dumped in. The more water you can get into that black tank the easier everything moves along. We always add the recommended chemicals to help break down that waste as well as control some of the odour.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

One of the ways to help with the build up is to make sure that after you dump you immediately put enough water in your black tank so that the waste will float. When I bought my first new rig, the walk-through advised that I put 3 bowls full of water in the black tank.

I have continued to do that for 16 years ... I have never had a problem.

If I use the back flusher, I let the water to continue in the tank with the valve closed for about a minute.

My gray tanks always fill before the black tanks.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Try adding enough water in the bowl to at least cover the waste before flushing. Fluids are needed to make the waste flow down the slanted down pipe. I like the idea of using the basin and dish water.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Toilet plumbing problem - 2014 Itasca Sunstar 30t

Not a great topic but very necessary to get a handle on!

We call it a pyramid. The problem is that you level up the coach then every time the head is used for #2 it adds to the pile. Because the tank is quite shallow the pyramid builds to the point it blocks the down pipe, so the black water tank is basically empty with a pile in one spot not letting anything else in.

The next problem is you go the the dump station and if that is level OR EVEN WORSE, sloping the wrong way, all the liquid drains out and the pyramid stays in place.

Wot to do?

Plenty of water in the black water tank before you use it, and if the dump station is level, put the jacks down manually on the passenger side to get the tank an an angle before you dump. And you may still need to use the hose down the hole to get the pyramid moving.

Pyramid Pete
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We had the same TP build up on the ledge problem on one occasion in our 31KE. The easy fix we found to prevent it was much more water in the bowl before a flush, and to make sure our TP was really breaking down rapidly as advertised. The fix to clear the jam away was with the wash wand being lowered through the shute to move things over the ledge.

We learned to be cautious and efficient with use of the TP also.

Of our 6 RV's over the past 30 years this Itasca tank is the most difficult to maintain and keep clean. We use lots of water. We usually have to wand wash for about 15 minutes to get it spiffy.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerztime View Post
I'm hoping that someone out there can give us some advice. The toilet flushes without any problems, but after camping only three days with two people, the waste seems to get stuck in the black pipe that is immediately visible when you flush the toilet. The black water tank is not full and only registers 1/3. Even after emptying black water tank the waste is still visible under the tank flusher. We used the end of a garden hose as a 'snake' and the waste eventually 'dropped' into the tank and flowed freely. However, the same problem took place the following day and we are certain that the black tank was nowhere near full. Yes, we are using RV specific toilet paper and there are no children who have thrown the toilet down the hole. All input is greatly appreciated.
jerztime
Me thinks you simply need add more water before you flush solids.
Mel
'96 Safrai
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

More water seems to be the answer! Thanks to all who provided ideas. Great input on the 'pyramid' and leveling. We'll add a bunch more water now and wand it out. Thanks again - the support provided by this forum makes RV'ing even more enjoyable.
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

In addition to more water in your black tank ... frequency of dumping the black tank is important, too.

When I am parked I only dump the black tank about every 5 to 7 days.

When I travel I only dump the black tank every 2nd or 3rd day (the only exception to this is if I will be somewhere without sewer connection, the next day).

Dumping with only one day's waste doesn't give ample time for the solid waste to liquefy.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
In addition to more water in your black tank ... frequency of dumping the black tank is important, too.
When I am parked I only dump the black tank about every 5 to 7 days.
When I travel I only dump the black tank every 2nd or 3rd day (the only exception to this is if I will be somewhere without sewer connection, the next day).
Dumping with only one day's waste doesn't give ample time for the solid waste to liquefy.
skigramp

In my experience dumping less than a 1/2 full tank can, and will, lead to black tank problems.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, plumbing