Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

A few weeks ago I posted a discussion on a temperature survey in the waste compartment and said I would do the water pump compartment in a few weeks. Well I used the MH this weekend and did it here are the results.

First my water pump is located in on the passenger side of the MH in the most forward compartment. It shares a wall with the hot water tank.
so the out side air temperature was about 8 degrees F. I took temperature readings at 2 different places in the compartment.

1) about 3 inches above the floor ~8 inches below the water pump - 33 Degrees F

2)about 15 inches above the floor, ~ 2 inches about water pump 44 degrees f

From this I believe as long as I'm above 0 degrees F I should be ok, if it get's colder then that I'll put a trouble light in that compartment.

Also As you can see there is a very large temperature gradient in the compartment. Some ridged foam board on the floor and side walls would help that.

So there you go I thought some of you might be interested.
Cheers and think snow.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A few weeks ago I posted a discussion on a temperature survey in the waste compartment and said I would do the water pump compartment in a few weeks. Well I used the MH this weekend and did it here are the results.

First my water pump is located in on the passenger side of the MH in the most forward compartment. It shares a wall with the hot water tank.
so the out side air temperature was about 8 degrees F. I took temperature readings at 2 different places in the compartment.

1) about 3 inches above the floor ~8 inches below the water pump - 33 Degrees F

2)about 15 inches above the floor, ~ 2 inches about water pump 44 degrees f

From this I believe as long as I'm above 0 degrees F I should be ok, if it get's colder then that I'll put a trouble light in that compartment.

Also As you can see there is a very large temperature gradient in the compartment. Some ridged foam board on the floor and side walls would help that.

So there you go I thought some of you might be interested.
Cheers and think snow.

Seattle, WA
Old 01-22-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, this is good info as my coach is configured the same as yours. I don't like to venture into cold weather, but this lets me know when to do start protecting systems should cold weather find me.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:35 AM   #4

Did you run your furnace? How much did you run it, if you did? What was the inside temperature?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes I ran my furnace. I was dry camping this weekend. When I was in the MH, from 4:00 pm to about 10:00 pm I ran the generator and used 2 ceramic space heaters in the living area to suppliment the furnace when we went to bed we turned the generator off and used only the furnace. At that outside temp the furnace was running a lot. Probaly over 75% of the time when the ceramic heaters were not on, a lot less when they were on. We were keeping the coach at 65 degrees F

Seattle, WA
Old 01-22-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the new data.

All your data is while parked. Some of us are interested in freezing while driving. If traveling data may be vastly different.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Correct all my data is while I was parked. I did take a little data on the way up avg temperature outside about 25 degrees F avg speed about 45 mph. temperature at site 1, about 3 inches off the floor was about 42 degrees with the rear heater running on low all the time. I did not take any readings at site 2.

I would think that as long as you run your furnace or rear heater the results should not be all that much difference, I know you have to consider the "wind chill" effect but we are talking about a surface that is paralel to the airflow.
But to be sure you can always do what I did and put a wireless sending unit in the bay and watch it. they are getting cheaper every day, I think you can get a good one now for $30.00.

Seattle, WA
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvcarpenter:

I know you have to consider the "wind chill" effect but </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make that "wind effect", as wind chill does not affect the temperature at which water freezes.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote