Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Tank less on demand water heaters

The water heater on my 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F decided to spring a leak last night. A new Atwood gas-electric-engine assist water heater is north of $1200 for just the heater. A replacement tank is about $270. I'm contemplating going tankless-propane. They can be had for less than half the price of the Atwood. Has anyone done a simular conversion or done a tank replacement repair on an Atwood? I've already checked the pressure relief valve and it is not the issue. It could be a water line but the RV was parked when the leak started. It is just a constant heavy drip. Bypassing the heater stops the leak.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:17 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

This is a little embarrassing but the leak turned out to not be the water heater, even though it was coming from the water heater compartment. The drain for the rear toilet passes over the water heater compartment and has developed a leak. The front toilet and black tank function properly, with no leaks. I'll need to remove the water heater to access the leaking drain pipe, but it should be a heck of a lot less expensive than a new tank. A change in wind direction let me know that it wasn't clear water dripping.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:42 PM   #3
Site Team

Good to know that you can fix it with relatively little expense. I guess not too many of us have any experience with changing to a different type of water heater. If my tank were to develop a leak, I would just replace same-with-same, if for no other reason that it would be cheaper and easier.
Eagle5
Old 03-31-2022, 06:04 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Good to know that you can fix it with relatively little expense. I guess not too many of us have any experience with changing to a different type of water heater. If my tank were to develop a leak, I would just replace same-with-same, if for no other reason that it would be cheaper and easier.
Eagle5
Thanks for the reply. In my case, replacing with the same tank might have been easier but definitely not less expensive. At $1,200+ it has to be just about the most expensive out there. I haven't torn into it yet but I'm assuming that a new insulation blanket will be in order. It will probably turn out to be a nasty job. Luckily the tanks electronics seem to have been spared.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My water heater (I think) has developed a slow leak. I tried to remove it to investigate, but the knuckleheads at Winnebago used the firehose method for caulk again. I'll have to literally pry it out with a crowbar, just to trouble shoot. My first attempt just bend the $hit out of the flange. Why caulk something when 18 screws are holding it in place?
MadMaxWinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxWinny View Post
My water heater (I think) has developed a slow leak. I tried to remove it to investigate, but the knuckleheads at Winnebago used the firehose method for caulk again. I'll have to literally pry it out with a crowbar, just to trouble shoot. My first attempt just bend the $hit out of the flange. Why caulk something when 18 screws are holding it in place?
My only thought on the matter is that RVs take a beating driving down the road and screws can jar loose. The caulking prevents rattles from developing a year or two later. Caulking is cheap and hides all kinds of misfits and misalignments.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yup with RVs it can be a crap shoot
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:50 AM   #8
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Two years ago our Atwood water heater quit working on electricity and propane heated it ok but it was very rusty. The electric heater element turned out to be bad. We decided to replace the whole unit for about $1500 with labor. Yes, it was difficult to remove because it was sealed in pretty good. We did manage to remove it with a bit of finesse but its not an easy job due to seal and the engine heat water lines are too short. When removed the engine coolant will run out (about 5 gallons worth) so be prepared to plug these lines.. We reattached the engine coolant lines per original and I am glad we did since we have hot water going down the road plus other boondocking situations.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater