Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Temps below freezing, so I took water supply hose inside. I have a quick disconnect to couple the supply hose to the system (see photo). The lite bulb is to provide some heat to prevent freezing. When the pump is turned On, water dribbles out of the short hose that goes into the system/tank. There's enough pump pressure to use in the coach, but the pump cycles on/off every 15-30 seconds; and the fast dribble stops when the pump is turned Off.

Request your analysis of what's wrong (leak), and more specifically how to fix it. Perhaps a backflow check valve? Where? Thanks.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Thudman;

On my Chieftain there is a check valve behind the panel hose connection. I believe there is a o-ring seal that may be leaking. Perhaps it is some ice or a speck of material. I had to repair mine once after winterizing when I blew the o-ring off from it's seat.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You have great timing. I purchased a new check valve for my city water connection. I too also have the quick connect fittings. Mine would leak whenever the pump pressured up the system so I knew the check valve had failed. It was time to get the job done finally so I pulled the quick connection off and lo and behold there was the tiniest of pebbles holding the flapper of the check valve open. Reached in with a pair of needle nose pliers and got my rocks off sort of speak. Works fine now. Check the check valves. Sounds like you are not holding pump pressure.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My quick connection is merely to connect the two water supply hoses; there is no check valve. I'm thinking there is a check valve behind where the 90* connector goes into the tank. If this is the case, is the valve behind the hose connector difficult to work with & change out?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Yes it is behind the 90 on your system. You should be able to see it once the 90 is unthreaded and off
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to all. I'll work on it when the wx warms up a bit.

Thudman

Old 01-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thudman ... my water compartment looks a lot like yours, except that I have a hose reel in the little cubby in the lower right. There is a back-flow preventer valve in mine where your hose is connected to the "water fill." When winterizing, I normally take off the cap I keep on mine and press the valve to release water & pressure. You probably will have to remove the metal panels to replace the valve, but that isn't all that hard to do.

I am having the same problem you are having, except it is my hose reel that is leaking water back out when not connected to shore power. I have put off removing the reel to get to the back-flow valve, trying to stop it by putting a tee-connector with shut-off valves on it (which also leak) but I need to get to it. This reply makes me wonder if I can access it by just removing the metal panel rather than taking the hose reel out... certainly worth looking into!!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

As a stop gap, I suggest you make another short (6 or 8") hose with a quick connect on one end ... on the other end shove a bolt in the end and snug is down with a hose clamp ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have a similar setup, with a short hose from my whole house filters. On the end I have a brass cut-off valve (from garden section). You could install one between the hose and quick-disconnect. Or between the hose & elbow.

My check valve also leaks slightly, I've just never replaced it.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

While preparing to implement Dan's fix, I removed the 90* elbow (was leaking; & old). Noticed the backflow valve was canted & not seated. Moved valve to center position & tested w/pump On. Wallah! Fixed.

Installed new 90* elbow w/Teflon tape; and refreshed the tape on all other fittings. Good to go. Thanks to all.

Thudman

Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

If you remove the quick connect elbow and look inside the female hose connector, you can see the check valve. I would suggest that you leave the elbow off and simply screw the oem plug (which I see in your photo) into the female hose fitting going into the check valve.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

ChasA: Good thought; I'll keep that in mind if/when the problem recurs. Thanks.

Thudman

Old 01-22-2009, 04:59 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

It's baaaack!! (the leak). Has anyone changed the backflow valve? What parts do I need? Do I need my chainsaw?

Thudman