Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Sureflow 5.7 Smart Sensor finally died, after 11 years

Well Gang,
Our Sureflow Smart sensor 5.7 water pump finally gave up the ghost after almost 11 years of pumping. It started acting up a couple of camp trips ago. Until then, it had been working just fine for all the time we've owned this coach which, has been just over four years and have put about 25,000 miles on it. But, a couple of camp trips ago, it acted up. The wife said "we've got no water" when she turned on a Fawcett after arriving at a campsite.

Well, I checked for power at the pump and, all was good there. So, out came my trusty little 4 oz. ball peen hammer. A few taps on it and, it came back to life. We'd gone on one more camp trip a few weeks after that and, it was working flawlessly.

Well, skip forward a few weeks and, we were getting ready for another trip and, she said again, "We've got no water again". Hmmmm. So, a quick check on the power and, the fuse was good and, power to the pump was there. So, out came the persuader and, a few taps. NOTHING! A few more and a tad bit harder taps, NOTHING!!!

Hmmmmm, well, I grabbed the pump to feel if it was humming (as in trying to run) and, it was " HOT". Not good. so, I had her turn the switch off and, I proceeded to remove that pump. Long story short, I dissected that pump, all the way down to the armature and brushes. Nothing was indicated as a problem. In fact, I have power going right to the brushes. I did have one bearing that was froze up.

But, I was successful at freeing that one up. Still, it won't turn. I've powered it up with larger wires right from a good battery and, it's simply gone south for the winter and, apparently has no plans on returning for duty.

So, in doing some research, I've found the Sureflow 4008, 3-gpm @ 55 psi. as probably the most sensible replacement. I picked one up at an RV supplies place but, I paid too much for it. That's par for me. Anyway, my only issue is, the 5.7 Smart sensor pump has horse-shoe type clips that connect it to the plumbing. The new 4008 has male threads for which a flared type fitting with a barbed end is supposed to attach the plumbing. No biggie, I'll figure that out. But, based on others reports, I think I've got way more out of the stock pump than many did.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #2

As you noticed the Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7 is no longer available............for a good reason

The Shurflo Revolution 4008 is a good standard replacement
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Gang,
Our Sureflow Smart sensor 5.7 water pump finally gave up the ghost .... I think I've got way more out of the stock pump than many did.
Absolutely! I went through about several warranty replacements before I gave up on them.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well,
To me, it's kind-a too bad that they had so much trouble with them. As stated, mind held on for around 11 years before pumping it's last drop. Oh well, not the end of the world.

I've got the new 4008 so, I just need to adapt the inlet and outlet plumbing to the new style and call it a day.
Scott
Old 11-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

FIRE UP;

I had to do the same with mine this year also. I replaced it with the same model pump you did. It is very quiet and we are very happy with it.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
FIRE UP;

I had to do the same with mine this year also. I replaced it with the same model pump you did. It is very quiet and we are very happy with it.

Don
Hey Don,
I'm really glad to hear/read this. Our pump went south the night before we were to leave on one of our trips and, because we had full hookups where we were headed, I wasn't too concerned. It's nice to be able to use toilet and Fawcett facilities when traveling to destinations but, we carried a couple of gallons of water for that purpose.

We're now at my daughter and son-in-laws place, also with hookups so, I think I'll just do the install of the 4008 when we return home on Monday. I'll be in my element there with all my tools, environment etc. Thanks for the encouragement of the performance and noise level of the new replacement. I was concerned about both.
Scott
Old 11-29-2015, 02:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

my pump failed while my DW was taking a shower.
malletizing it got it started again. good thing.
needless to say, I replaced it asap.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
my pump failed while my DW was taking a shower.
malletizing it got it started again. good thing.
needless to say, I replaced it asap.
And your old pump was what model, gpm etc.?
And your new pump is what, model, gpm etc.?
And, how is the performance of the new one compared to the old one?
Scott
Old 12-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

"malletizing it"

Much more refined than hitting it with a hammer. I may use that expression in the future.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
And your old pump was what model, gpm etc.?
And your new pump is what, model, gpm etc.?
And, how is the performance of the new one compared to the old one?
Scott
old shurflo 2088-422-444, 2.8 GPM.
new 4008-101-E65, 3.0 GPM. the
new pump is noticeable better using our oxygenics shower head.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
"malletizing it"

Much more refined than hitting it with a hammer. I may use that expression in the future.
'tis an aeronautical term.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
Preliminary Report:
I finished installing the new, Sureflo 4008 3.0 GPM pump yesterday. I had to order and install with that pump, a smaller strainer/filter than I had before. It came with an "Eared" fitting on it for easy installation after the pump is installed.

The company I purchased the pump from said I'd be able to use the original holes but, he was wrong. It's entirely different but, it's really no big deal since it's blank back wall of the compartment where it lives. I hooked up everything and turned the switch on and, as usual with me and plumbing, LEAKS!! Errrrrrr!!!

But, since I knew how it all went together, it came flying back apart and, all was sealed up and, re-installed. No leaks. Yahoooooo! I went inside and tested the shower wand output. Wow, pretty darn nice. It's supposed to be a 55 psi pump but, even sureflow has conflicting info on its packages. One part says 55 psi and one says 40. But, in any case, the Oxygenics shower wand was really putting out some good water, for what it is anyway. I'm happy.
Scott