Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Supports under shower floor??

For anyone with a 34-36 foot Journey/Meridian, have you ever looked under your shower through the little heater vent to notice if there are any kind of supports under the shower pan? Mine doesn't have anything at all supporting where a person stands to take a shower and it sure looks like there should be.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had a cracking sound from mine when it was new. The dealer put supports of some kind under it. I never checked to see what the fix was but since you brought it up, that will be my first project after 18 holes of golf tomorrow
Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #3

Shoot some foam...

Or, if you can squeeze your hand in there, epoxy some wood blocks. But I like the foam..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

On our 34Y, I added wooden supports plus styrofoam around the drain. Reduced the "bounce". Construct the support but make sure enough room for about 1/2 inch styrofoam and of course the same height as the original.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

During an "on the floor" factory tour I saw them vacuum mold shower pans. After the pan was cooled they sprayed a high density expanding foam to the bottom side and then quickly placed it in a fixture that set the height to the proper level.

I would think you should have the same on yours.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If your going to use spray foam I would suggest using the low expanding foam
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

If you leave room for it to expand out instead of up, you'll be ok... plumbers do this all the time for 'bouncing' tubs... its better than having the drain flex and leak.

But, as said, wood blocks or foam sheets can be used if you can gain access..
Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I looked under my shower with the air vent removed. Its not clear why there is an air vent under the shower except maybe to vent moisture. I see a large flat piece of 3/4 in plywood supported by plywood legs. Above the plywood is a rigid foam that may have been sprayed into the small space between the plywood and the bottom of the shower. The shower floor appears fairly rigid when standing on it. There are also a drain and water pipe as well.
hope this helps
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
I looked under my shower with the air vent removed. Its not clear why there is an air vent under the shower except maybe to vent moisture. I see a large flat piece of 3/4 in plywood supported by plywood legs. Above the plywood is a rigid foam that may have been sprayed into the small space between the plywood and the bottom of the shower. The shower floor appears fairly rigid when standing on it. There are also a drain and water pipe as well.
hope this helps
I'm pretty sure that the vent is the furnace return air from your holding tanks and sewer compartments.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I haven't actually measured the height of the space between the bottom of the shower pan and the plywood floor of the coach but it looks like it could be 4"-6", which fairly well would eliminate using any foam for support. Looks like the pan is part of the molded walls, all kind of one piece, sides and pan all one piece.

I may try cutting some 2X4 or 4X4 blocks and wedge under the pan, if I can figure out how to measure exactly back under there and how to hold the blocks in place. I'm sure they will work out of place even if they do fit pretty tight, but not so tight as to put any strain on the pan and maybe end up cracking something.

Have wondered if with no support under the pan it would allow the outer walls of the shower to flex which is what is working the floor tiles out from under the edge of the shower.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #11

If its that much of a space, then epoxy some wood blocks in there.. epoxy will help keep them in place.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I haven't actually measured the height of the space between the bottom of the shower pan and the plywood floor of the coach but it looks like it could be 4"-6", which fairly well would eliminate using any foam for support. Looks like the pan is part of the molded walls, all kind of one piece, sides and pan all one piece.

I may try cutting some 2X4 or 4X4 blocks and wedge under the pan, if I can figure out how to measure exactly back under there and how to hold the blocks in place. I'm sure they will work out of place even if they do fit pretty tight, but not so tight as to put any strain on the pan and maybe end up cracking something.

Have wondered if with no support under the pan it would allow the outer walls of the shower to flex which is what is working the floor tiles out from under the edge of the shower.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
I believe you can fabricate a box-type pedestal to fit under the shower floor. Make the height to within 3/4 inch of the shower floor. You can put it together, a piece at a time, thru the vent hole. use liquid nails. Let it all set up for about an hour. When it is set, then spray foam in the space between the pedestal support and the shower floor. This will never move. It might benefit you, because of the opening size, to construct two small pedestals and put them side by side. The spray foam will keep them from moving. (ever) Good luck.
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2,
A picture is worth a thousand words:

hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	8630   Click image for larger version

Name:	shower2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	8631  

Name:	shower3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	8632  
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I would not place 2" X 4" wood cut to length standing under shower pan as that is not a very large surface area in any one spot and will give you four angles on each block to apply your whole body weight to begin a crack.

IF you determine you have no actual support, which so far you seem unsure if you do or not, provide support that distributes weight on a large surface such as a 3/4" plywood base supported by 2" X 4". Keep small supports with sharp edges out of the equation.

My shower has a full access panel from the front. Might it be possible for you to create one?

The vent hole is meant for heat to blow through the bay that is below your drain line, usually where your water lines run to help keep them warm in winter. Not sure how you are seeing under your shower by looking in that vent hole. It is suppossed to have a round tube connected to it that blows the furnace air out of it by your shower. If you don't have a hose there, you have another problem to fix, and I bet your bathroom gets real cold in cold weather too.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #15

Looks like a return....
Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Looks like a return....
Sounds identical to mine, 2008 Journey 39z. If so, it is a return. I'm afraid if he cuts the hole any larger, he will lose the front side stability. It is very thin. This is why I suggested making a two piece pedestal and putting them side by side. Once they are in place, and foamed, they will go no where. If they are say, 12x12, when placed together, and as close to centered as possible, he will get 5 times the support he has now. Especiallywith the plywood top. If he leaves 3/4 space between the pedestal and the shower floor, then spray foam on top of it, there will be no sharp corners to worry about.
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
For anyone with a 34-36 foot Journey/Meridian, have you ever looked under your shower through the little heater vent to notice if there are any kind of supports under the shower pan? Mine doesn't have anything at all supporting where a person stands to take a shower and it sure looks like there should be.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
My SOB has a similar setup when viewed through the return air vent below the shower pan. It has been OK for 16 years. I would guess Winnebago decided that the plywood platform below your shower pan in your picture will work.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
Wagonmaster2,
A picture is worth a thousand words:

hope this helps.

Thanks Jim, wish I had a digital camera (and knew how to post pictures). The opening looks exactly like mine after the metal vent is removed but when looking through the opening under the shower you see the bottom of the shower pan and the drain line, no plywood, no blocks or braces anyplace. And as has been stated later on, I definitely would not want to be cutting any more or bigger holes in the lower edge of the shower walls. And that hole in front there doesn't leave much room to put any kind of platform through it but I'll have to try something.
Glad to get the information about a 2X4 having edges where pressure could start cracking, never thought about that.

Wagonmaster2
Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

My shower is elevated where I have an 8" panel on the entire front giving me access under shower by removing 2 screws at the top. The bottom sits in a track. It sure is nice to have access, but no idea how yours is set up. How did they do the plumbing to it? How would you make a repair? Seems to me there is access from somewhere.

I also have access from below as shower is above a lower bay where my fresh water tank resides.

Without any support it seems like your shower would cave in with anyone in it. Maybe there is a metal bracket for support you cant see? Or your shower is metal covered with porceilin? Just throwing ideas as mine would cave with no solid support.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

2007 Jay Feather LGT 31V (Shower Support)

After reading your posts I had to go look.
I have a (2007 Jay Feather LGT 31V)
There is good support it looks like
An after thought.
Pictures included.
New member and enjoying the Information.
Thanks Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02688.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	8670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02689.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	8671