Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Spongy Shower Floor

We have owned our Journey for a short time. I'm wondering why the shower floor is so spongy.....and more importantly, can I expect a crack to develop in the floor? It seems like this is not a good thing. I know engineering can't always foresee problems that lie ahead, but this seems like an obvious error. Has anyone else noticed what I consider a flaw and does anyone have an idea for beefing up what seems to be a zero supported shower floor? Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've got an '02 Journey and the shower floor is rock solid and I weigh nearly 200 lbs. There is a vent to the side of the floor pan into which I can see the plywood platform supporting the shower floor. Do you have a similar vent into which you can look to see if something is amiss?

I'd also suggest you contact Winnebago to get their opinion. Byran Funke in their service area has been very helpful to many of us here. You can email him at [email protected].
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks smlranger...........I do have the vent there and I will check it out right away. This sure feels like there is nothing under it. I'm 215 and concerned.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

On my 5ver they left the foam pan support out on assembly. I had a small opening to get at the area and filled it with spray foam. Took three or four cans of the stuff but it worked OK once it set up. I discovered the missing support when the shower pan cracked and I started digging into it.
Carl in St Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in St Augustine View Post
On my 5ver they left the foam pan support out on assembly. I had a small opening to get at the area and filled it with spray foam. Took three or four cans of the stuff but it worked OK once it set up. I discovered the missing support when the shower pan cracked and I started digging into it.
Thanks Carl, I took our moderator's advice and removed the vent so I could see under the shower floor. I found that, indeed, there is a 3/4" plywood support, that sits on top of a 2" bed of starfoam. I'm glad that I saw this, but still, the floor is soft. I found that the plywood support will move some side to side, but not at all up and down. I guess the movement must be at the starfoam base. It probably compresses some with the weight of a person standing on it. I'll watch it to see if movement gets any greater, if so, I'll use some spray foam myself. Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old 08-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
gg
Winnebago Watcher

I found the same spongy shower floor on our new MH,when I started to use the shower (195lbs). DW didn't notice anything. I removed the vent/inspection plate to the P trap. I noticed the vertical wood support block loose. I shimmed it and added another, so the floor was support on booth sides of the P trap. I also noticed the drain & vent pipe extended through this cavity / floor to the gray tank and was not sealed. I foamed the pipes and the supports with 2 cans to Dow foam. Check the P-trap connections as mine were loose, but had not leaked.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well, I guess that between the shims and some spray foam, there's the answer to a solid shower base. Thanks to everyone!

Dave
Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

At the GNR I went on a tour of the vacuum molding assembly and saw the foam being applied to the bottom of the shower pans and got to handle a piece of it.

It is a very high density foam and is quite hard. They spray it on and then quickly put the pan in a fixture that forms it to a specific thickness.
If there wasn't enough foam sprayed on then it wouldn't be thick enough to provide support. I wonder if that is what happened in you case?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had the same problem with my rig. The service guy shimmed it and solved the problem for a while but now it's starting to get that cracking sound again. Of course it just went out of the dealer warrenty so now the ball is in my court.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have a 07 Vista 30B. I have noticed the spongy feeling shower stall floor also. It does not make any cracking sounds, but this thread has really got me wondering if there is a problem I need to look into.
Crankarm is offline   Reply With Quote